User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi!

Can you guys recommend a good deal on high speed internet?

I do not have a home phone (I use wireless), so I assume that DSL is out. Every time I find a good DSL deal, it get obliterated by the dry loop fee.

So that leaves me with cable. I find that Rogers is too expensive dor what I'm getting.

I'm in Ottawa.

Thank you!
    This thread is currently associated with: Rogers (Plus)

Saver
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Get $25 CASH for opening a Tangerine account. To receive the $$, enter 39061906S1 as the orange key when you sign up.To sign up or for more info go to http://www.tangerine.ca/en/referafriend/index.html

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We chose DSL through our local phone company because it was the best deal. I hardly think it's a monopoly. High speed internet access is a privilege,

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

is tek savvy out where you are? They are cheaper than Rogers

babies teach us acceptance

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

DSL as a rule is faster than Cable......Cable connections are shared, DSL is individual

you don't need home phone to get DSL.....just a phone line running into the house from outside (which every house should have)

shop around and find the best deal.....call competitors and tell them what another company is offering, and see if they will match/beat it

cable is good too don't get me wrong....I use DSL because it is faster and costs about the same as cable out here....if cable was way cheaper, then I would go for that
    - Swagbucks - Earn bux for everything you do online. I've earned $100 in Amazon.ca gift cards so far this year.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6536_7-...content;rb_mtx
    Speeds depend on where you live say..if your next door to the phone companies central office..My friend is near a switching station and DSL sucks because of that..My cable speeds are consistent (because I check them ) at 10-14MBS..you will not find that with dsl..yes I pay more, but I also GET MORE...

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have Acanac, if you pay for 1 year at a time you get great savings plus free voip.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    is tek savvy out where you are? They are cheaper than Rogers
    There IS TekSavvy in Ottawa - unless you're in an apartment building where they've monopolized who you can use...
    I highly recommend TekSavvy personally - my family and myself have used them for years. The best deal is Cable in my opinion and they're just started cable availability in the Ottawa area. Cable you don't have to worry about not having a phone line, so you don't pay the dry loop fee...and depending on what speed you're looking for on what you pay. We've had cable for a few months now and it's been great (had dry loop before that and like you - paid crazy fees).

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I actually like Rogers. Speed is consistent. Service is excellent. Whenever there is a problem, it takes them like 10 minutes to take care of it. And they would refund me for the day that there was a problem. Their stuff are very knowledgeable and polite. Have been with them for about 3-4 years. (Used Bell before, very rude.)

My cousin tried to convince me to switch to TekSavvy. For the service we need, it's only $5 cheaper per month. When I called Rogers to see if they could give me a discount, they offer me 20% off right away. It turns out to be $10 off per month. And they offer free magazines, free movies, sweepstakes and what not. Kinda nice. Overall, I have good experience with them using cable TV and internet.

Banned
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTofu View Post
    I actually like Rogers. Speed is consistent. Service is excellent. Whenever there is a problem, it takes them like 10 minutes to take care of it. And they would refund me for the day that there was a problem. Their stuff are very knowledgeable and polite. Have been with them for about 3-4 years. (Used Bell before, very rude.)

My cousin tried to convince me to switch to TekSavvy. For the service we need, it's only $5 cheaper per month. When I called Rogers to see if they could give me a discount, they offer me 20% off right away. It turns out to be $10 off per month. And they offer free magazines, free movies, sweepstakes and what not. Kinda nice. Overall, I have good experience with them using cable TV and internet.
    Nice try, Rogers.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Teksavvy is the best. Rogers may offer you a lower rate, but will get you with overage fees. With teksavvy you can use the internet freely without having to worry about it. Also fantastic customer service, even with tech questions.

Also, morals dictate to not give any business to bell or rogers. They fight to be allowed to charge consumers more and more with less and less freedom. Teksavvy on the other hand fights to stop bell and rogers from succeeding in those lobbying efforts.

Anyone who can get service without using bell or rogers very much ought to. 99% of the time you will pay less for it, but even that 1% should. I'd much rather pay a few dollars more now than huge dollars more in the future.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What is your current internet speed? How many MB/s?

Banned
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

If you are still looking, check out Distributel. I recently switched to them last month from Teksavvy DSL and couldn't be happier. I am on their 28Mbit Cable package for $49.95/month with no cap. It's blazing fast (3.5MB/s download speeds on Usenet) and with no cap, I don't have to worry about overage charges.

Thread Information