User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I am planning a trip to Vancouver this August

I was wondering if anyone could help me out in suggesting places to see and possible coupons I could use for discount attractions (printable or a good coupon book to buy)

I would like to see the Aquarium and the Capilano Bridge so far and of course the beaches.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

If you're at all interested in stores - I would strongly recommend The Regional Assembly of Text (3934 Main St). It's a stationery store and the cards, paper, gifts, etc are divine and very 'Vancouver'. They have lots of Vancouver postcards so you could pick up some really unique postcards to mail home.

I'd also recommend:

- Museum of Anthropology (6393 Northwest Marine Dr) - really interesting Aboriginal artifacts and great docent tours
    - La Casa Gelato (1033 Venables St) which has over 200 flavours of ice-cream (my current favourite is rice)
    - Science World which has interesting hands-on exhibits for grown-ups too! and
    - Granville Island which has lots of great places to eat and things to see.

Personally, I would skip the art gallery, high tea anywhere and eating at chain restaurants - there are too many good and cheap places to eat!

Junior Canuck couponlovingcanuck's Avatar
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Granville Island is a must!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The Vancouver Art Gallery is by donation on Tuesdays after 5 i think, check the website
    You can go to Lynn Canyon Suspension bridge for free (or for the cost of bus fare if you don't have a car) It's a great hike and a fun bridge
    If you're looking for a grown up activity you can enjoy a beverage at the restaurant in the Vancouver lookout, it has fantastic views
    Don't miss stanley park and the sea wall (also free)
    Keep an eye on groupon and livingsocial.com, they have lots of deals

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I love Vancouver. My favourite places are Granville Island (via one of the little boats) Lynn Canyon suspension bridge (why pay for Capilano?), Vera's burgers (you really can't beat Vera's meat!) the sea wall (in any weather it's amazing), downtown (after being here 10 years I still feel the magic of downtown)

Vancouver is the most beautiful place in Canada, IMO
    Join me on Swagbucks and earn money and giftcards. So easy, so fun!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Kanda2004

Trading Score
    81 (97%)

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThomas View Post
    If you're at all interested in stores - I would strongly recommend The Regional Assembly of Text (3934 Main St). It's a stationery store and the cards, paper, gifts, etc are divine and very 'Vancouver'. They have lots of Vancouver postcards so you could pick up some really unique postcards to mail home.

I'd also recommend:

- Museum of Anthropology (6393 Northwest Marine Dr) - really interesting Aboriginal artifacts and great docent tours
    - La Casa Gelato (1033 Venables St) which has over 200 flavours of ice-cream (my current favourite is rice)
    - Science World which has interesting hands-on exhibits for grown-ups too! and
    - Granville Island which has lots of great places to eat and things to see.

Personally, I would skip the art gallery, high tea anywhere and eating at chain restaurants - there are too many good and cheap places to eat!
    I disagree, I think you should totally check out afternoon tea.
    We have a new years resolution of going once a month.

If you've never been here, I would suggest to try the secret garden tea company and la terrazza fantasy tea. Both fantastic!
    If you're going to Victoria check out tea at the empress

Also, there is a place called jethros near UBC. It's a fantastic breakfast/brunch place -always packed.

Capilano suspension bridge has a new attraction I think that is a see through floor- even if it's not open, the bridge is a must see!

And don't forget to come to a coupon meeting if there is one on.

savin' money!
    Trading Score
    184 (99%)

The Entertainment Book has discount coupons (2-for-1) for the aquarium...science world...museum of anthropology and many more attractions I'm sure. If you don't want to purchase one you can always trade for Entertainment coupons. I have an Entertainment book...I'm sure there are more Smart Canucks in BC that do as well. Good luck!

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

Here's a link to a thread that win-star posted last year asking for similar info, at least for what to see and do. Look at post #6 for another couple of links to threads with even more info and discussion.

One of the best and most unique things to experience in Vancouver and area is the great outdoors, which is mostly free. If you had one particular day that you really wanted to cover the map, then you could buy a one day transit pass and go sight seeing. It's good on all the buses, Skytrain (Expo line, Millenium line, Canada line) and the Seabus to North Vancouver.

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/224999-...-there-canada/

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by shae-z View Post
    The Entertainment Book has discount coupons (2-for-1) for the aquarium...science world...museum of anthropology and many more attractions I'm sure. If you don't want to purchase one you can always trade for Entertainment coupons. I have an Entertainment book...I'm sure there are more Smart Canucks in BC that do as well. Good luck!

I looked up thr entertainment book for Vancouver, but I did not see any coupons listed for the Aquarium.

Thanks everyone for all your help I will be googling all of your suggestions.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    192 (100%)

Vancouver Aquarium-page E23

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

That's great about the Vancouver Aquarium coupon, I will have to look into doing a trade.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The Art Gallery has had a lot more interesting exhibits recently, and their cafe upstairs is really nice, good food, open balcony, natural light - if they are doing an afternoon tea there I'll be going, I didn't know that.

Main Street - between, hmm, 14th and 30th Ave is the strip. Lots of great independent stores, restaurants, and cafe's. I feel this area has real Vancouver character. Vintage and current consignment - look for Front and Co, and Legends (if you like vintage). There is a corset shop just off the main drag, can't recall the name but it's on the same side street as Burcu's Angels, which is another consignment vintage store.

My favorite 'day trips' are Granville Island, Commercial Drive (yes to Casa Gelato!), and Main Street. I live 2 blocks off the main Robson street drag.

If you want to see Chinatown, the Sun-Yat Sen gardens, the outside part, are really unusual and FREE. You can pay to go into the inside part as well. There's a coupon in the Ent Book for that. The bakeries in Chinatown have cheap prices on meals as well.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

thx everyone. I am going on my second trip at the end of this month to Vancouver, love this city!
    I was lucky enough to have found a deal for a BC Passport on Swarm Jam. Its a 2for 1 coupon book to lots of attractions and restuarants in Vancouver. I paid 12.50, but regular price is 25.00 still not bad. If you go to even 2 places it pays for the passport itself. http://www.citypassports.com/ Right now they only have one for winter check back in a bit for summer one.
    Also check www.vancouverattractions.com for more coupons, not great ones but some.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kanda View Post
    I love Vancouver. My favourite places are Granville Island (via one of the little boats) Lynn Canyon suspension bridge (why pay for Capilano?), Vera's burgers (you really can't beat Vera's meat!) the sea wall (in any weather it's amazing), downtown (after being here 10 years I still feel the magic of downtown)

Vancouver is the most beautiful place in Canada, IMO
    I had my first trip out to Vancouver last year and it was as you said magical feeling downtown. I was alone and felt safe walking at night. Its so beautiful I have been wishing to go back and I would love to move there.
    I stayed in the most beautiful hotel on the harbour.

AND the one of BEST things is that my work is sending me to Vancouver again, soon!
    AND my DH is coming this time. It will be his first time and I know that after this trip we will probably be moving there!
    Thanks everyone for all your tips on where to go and what to do.

Thread Information