User Tag List

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree338Likes

Thread: The "Other Money": What's in YOUR Wallet? *Closed - Use 2013 Thread*

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

My top survey earners are Opinion Outpost (Paypal, USD) Toluna (Paypal, CDN), Leger (Cheque, CDN) and MySurvey (was TNS, Cheque, CDN)

Right now, I don't have a car, kids, a cell phone, don't play video games, don't drink, travel, spend a lot...I get filtered out of a lot of surveys but still pull $40/month. MySurvey sends product samples and my last two involved chocolate. Eat chocolate and be paid, yup!

Not a top earner but one I like as the most likely to send surveys I am qualified for is Ipsos iSay (Paypal, CDN). If you are new to surveys I would start with that one as it has a number of other positives (low payout level, Paypal, fun sweepstakes game, Canadian company, Canadian topics)

I earn about $3 worth of Airmiles @10.5/mi per month just by answering the surveys and shopping about once a month at or Metro...I can redeem for the $20 Metro a couple times per year.

I had a Scotiabank account and the Scene program generated movie tickets far far beyond my needs, even with low spending. I am not sure but I think when you get cash back with a transaction you get points whereas at an atm withdrawal you would not. That was my habit. Anyway, it was raining movie tickets so if you like movies do check this one out.

Swagbucks, if you have people referred by you, is a good little earner. By their polls apparently a lot of people use Swagbucks TV to earn their points but you have to question if that is a good use of your time and bandwidth! It would be nasty to go over your bandwidth limit and get billed for time you were using to earn points.

I stockpiled the bathroom and cleaning stuff in 2010 and made $60 with SDM Optimum. In 2011 I made buttkiss due to no need to shop. I have been picking up points for milk, etc. at the punishing base rate. I should need some more supplies mid-2012 LOL so I will see how I do this year.

Sobeys totally didn't work for me as the store never offered enough good prices relative to the other chains.

I have a HBC card and shop infrequently and with bonus coupons. I have all my points converted to Airmiles which is a ripoff, about a 50% loss of value, but I just don't feel like participating in the HBC reward program with so few purchases.

Anyway, that's how I did with a wee budget and the various programs. Certainly the more you spend the better you will do with any of the in-store programs, banking-tied programs and surveys.
    Last edited by lecale; Sat, Feb 25th, 2012 at 06:21 PM.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jubsies View Post
    anyone know where the sobeys bonus points thread is hidden.. I saw it last year.. all the weekly deals for bonus points at sobeys.. thanks for the hds up..
    Also looking for Sobeys bonus points thread!

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

" I enjoy not being on the clock; we have a nice routine at home and fully embrace the peace that comes with not stressing to make a meal in 20 mins after work or having to pack in a ton of errands on the weekends."

Thumbs way up on that statement!! I don't think life was supposed to work this way being stressed out all the time and rushing to get everything done....where is the joy in that?!?!? Good for you to make the decision to change your lifestyle!!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Hi $avvy! Thank you so very much for all your work on here! It's great information! And congratulations on making that life changing decision!

I am semi-retired but still do a little working at my former job from time to time - I've also started a new "career" which I'm really enjoying and brings goodness all around - as a Wedding Officiant.

Doing little jobs or starting a business from your home is a great way to supplement your income. I used to give courses on "How to start a business from your own home." If you do it with thought and don't get caught up in the "crazies" it can also be rewarding from a mindset point of view. You get to deduct some things from your income tax if you do things properly - and as a friend of mine once said, "The government WANTS you to start a business." They're very encouraging.

We usually get income back from our income tax because of these small businesses.

For a long while, while I was single, I rented out one or two bedrooms in my house and shared the facility with students. Graduate students or international students who were very focussed were the best! They were gone in the summer and provided that "lived in" look when I had to be away at other times of the year. That was very profitable.

Have you ever thought of starting a blog? That can be profitable, I've heard.

Again, thanks for putting the effort into this thread!
    Last edited by avoncallingu; Sat, Feb 25th, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by $avvy$hopper View Post
    I started a thread on “The Other Money” in 2011 and added a few updates this year but thought it best to start a new thread so I could not only keep the list of other money sources fresh but to also share a personal story of how this all came to light. Hope you enjoy it and please feel free to add to the list below, I’ll keep the thread updated as often as I can.

The Backstory:
    Last summer, our family made an all-important decision. Things were changing at my job and, after much prayer and reflection, we decided the time was right for me to leave the corporate work world to stay at home with my dd as she prepares for school. I have plans to launch my own business at some point as was going to do it sooner than later to assist with things financially. Again, after much thought, it just seemed more right for me to fully focus on our family life, church ministry and finally take some time for myself-I actually use my gym membership now! I enjoy not being on the clock; we have a nice routine at home and fully embrace the peace that comes with not stressing to make a meal in 20 mins after work or having to pack in a ton of errands on the weekends. However long this period lasts, I'm enjoying it while I can!

In that light, I took a good look at all our savings from couponing and started looking at ways to pull more value from what I call “Other Money” – these are loyalty programs, paid surveys, consignment sales, garage sales; any and everything that could help offset our actual out of pocket costs with minimal effort and give us some fun money too!

And that’s when I realized that what we didn’t have in our bank account physically was coming to us in the form of rebate cheques, gift cards (Stouffers, Lean Cuisine, Airmiles), grocery vouchers (Airmiles), FPCs (various sources including RAOK’s) and a wad of extra cash from consignment sales. So, that’s how this all started in mid-2011 and I have Smartcanucks to thank for giving our family that gift. I didn't know a lot of this info before SC and what I did know was "tip of the iceberg" stuff! With “Other Money” in my pocket, I’m content in this new way of contributing to the finances and I am constantly amazed at just how much we can still do on a limited budget.

Here’s what’s in/been in my “Other Money” wallet so far:

January
    $25 Payal via Swagbucks
    $10 SDM promotion
    $10.14 Consignment Sales
    $6.28 Finish Dishwasher Cleaner Mail in Rebate
    $20 Gas voucher for Shell (via Airmiles)

Total:$71.42

February
    $10 SDM GC from Lean Cuisine pins
    $10 PC GC from Stouffers Pins
    $15 from Paypal via Swagbucks
    $ 20 Zellers GC (redeemed points for $10 and a $10 promo card)
    $10 Amazon.ca via Swagbucks (saving for Birthday and Christmas gifts)
    $10 Walmart GC from Ontario Health Survey
    $12.42 from Airwick MIR
    $5 Bulk Barn GC from Valentine’s Promo
    $28.25 Consignment Sales

Total:$120.67

Isn’t it just a wonderful blessing? Like I said, I’m just amazed by it all.
    The next post will show a list of other money sources I’ve mentioned as well as others that are equally great and may prove to be workable for you too. Please add your ideas (and stories!) so we can enjoy the adventure together!
    That's awesome! I too do the same thing. I find entering icoke pins and Mail in Rebates to be a great source of generating extra income.

For mail in rebates wherever possible I try and make my purchase at SDM on 20x points days. I did this last year for all Rebates and only spent my points on Mega Redemption near Christmas time and it was 350.00 worth of redemption earned! I also try and use a coupon if I can with a rebate and make money from the rebate itself. So far I have been able to do this without rejection as i buy with other items on the receipt.

Icoke pins offer great rewards like Wagjag credits which I have used to buy vouchers to fertilizing my lawn, getting delivered bulk meats, haircuts, spa day for me etc. We belong to a club that sells pop to its members and I just pick the tops out of the recycle bin each week. I have earned over 100.00 in Wagjag credits this way in one year.

Disney Movie Rewards is another great one as they offer some fantastic rewards for entering movie codes from DVD's etc. I don't have many DVD's but my friends and family did and they couldn't be bothered to use this program. Last xmas I was able to get my son a Captain America Scooter which would have cost me 40.00 otherwise. They also send out a monthly newsletter with 5 points without having to enter a DVD code.

Chapman's Ice Cream has kids games and my son plays them and has earned a few large toys over the months. One he gave my nephew for his birthday as it was a very large freight truck (you have to play a lot of kids games but the word searches are great games for little ones). They also give out a 5.00 off coupon 1x per year which is perfect for one or two tubs of ice cream a year.

I like expensive skin care products but the year i took off, Mario Badescu samples that I requested totally satisfied my craving for this and lasted almost the whole year. Samples are very generous and their products great.

I use Kijiji for selling unwanted/unused items and have generated some extra pocket cash here or there.

Petro Canada points have been good for reduced gas and/or gift cards but take a long while to save up.

I use Airmiles as my entertainment pocket money by using my points for movie nights out (in addition to the cereal box movie passes), magazines, restaraunt gift cards etc.

There are TONS of Birthday freebies and with a few of us at home all signed up for them we benefit from free pizza, ice cream, loot bags, free product from Giant Tiger etc. (ok maybe our waist lines don't benefit) etc.

Entertainment books sell of at 10.00 a few months before they expire so from August to November we go all out doing free or very discounted things from the entertainment book before expiries (they also have grocery discount coupons in them so I find the 10.00 more than pays for itself). There is usually a free movie or bowling or conservation pass.

Keep your eyes on Deal sites like Groupon/Wagjag/Dealfind etc. For example, Dealfind currently has a 15.99 Olay gift set that comes wiht a 10.00 well.ca card but they have a 5.00 promo code at Dealfind, so for 10.99 you get a big Olay Gift set plus 10.00 to put towards pharmacy type items or organic grocery items (they have free shipping).

Studies and Surveys are also good generators of pocket cash. An Ontario Health Study for example is currently offering a 10.00 gift card to places like Walmart for completing the study.

Our local library has free Conservation passes that you can sign out, so savings on outings is always good.

Lots of other points programs but they are already listed above so I won't go into them!

Hope that helps!

Trading Score
    174 (100%)

Superpoints is very easy to use if you just do the Lucky button, videos and daily email. I don't do anything else on there and earn $5-$10 a week but that is with referals too. A great survey site is Pinecone Research, but I think it is by invite only. I have done that one for years. There are some good mystery shopping sites too, you don't make a ton of money but you do get free meals, groceries etc.
    RRLF COKE PINS and LUNCHMATE PINS

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

Superpoints is nice and reliable about paying. Redeem any day you like - pay day is Tuesday for paypal cash anyway.
    Extra cash here - earn by searching/watching videos/doing offers on swagbucks - it's a legit site and pays reliably.

Already do swagbucks?try Instagc or pm me for invite codes for Gifthulk.

Trading Score
    117 (100%)

Wow! Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments of support and encouragement. I've received reps and pm's as well that have just warmed my heart and reiterate why I love SC so much...you're all fantastic and I'm so happy to read of your stories/tips!

Speaking of tips...holy cow! There's a ton more to add to the list and thanks to those who have posted and explained them. I won't get a chance to update the main list today but will do so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by redhdlois View Post
    " I enjoy not being on the clock; we have a nice routine at home and fully embrace the peace that comes with not stressing to make a meal in 20 mins after work or having to pack in a ton of errands on the weekends."

Thumbs way up on that statement!! I don't think life was supposed to work this way being stressed out all the time and rushing to get everything done....where is the joy in that?!?!? Good for you to make the decision to change your lifestyle!!
    Thank you redhdlois. It's so true, life has become way too busy and at some point something's gotta give. It's been a change for the absolute better and many co-workers were both supportive and jealous of this move.

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    Hi $avvy! Thank you so very much for all your work on here! It's great information! And congratulations on making that life changing decision!

I am semi-retired but still do a little working at my former job from time to time - I've also started a new "career" which I'm really enjoying and brings goodness all around - as a Wedding Officiant.

Doing little jobs or starting a business from your home is a great way to supplement your income. I used to give courses on "How to start a business from your own home." If you do it with thought and don't get caught up in the "crazies" it can also be rewarding from a mindset point of view. You get to deduct some things from your income tax if you do things properly - and as a friend of mine once said, "The government WANTS you to start a business." They're very encouraging.

We usually get income back from our income tax because of these small businesses.

For a long while, while I was single, I rented out one or two bedrooms in my house and shared the facility with students. Graduate students or international students who were very focussed were the best! They were gone in the summer and provided that "lived in" look when I had to be away at other times of the year. That was very profitable.

Have you ever thought of starting a blog? That can be profitable, I've heard.

Again, thanks for putting the effort into this thread!
    Aww, thanks for your comments avon! SC has given me so much and I'm happy to give back. I appreciate you sharing your experience and look forward to registering the business venture soon. Re the blog idea, no I hadn't thought of it though I might give it more thought. Had never really seen myself as the bloggy type but, again, that was before SC!
    Imy "Other Money". Join the fun:
    *Swagbucks!!- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Savvy5

Trading Score
    117 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tink30 View Post
    Superpoints is very easy to use if you just do the Lucky button, videos and daily email. I don't do anything else on there and earn $5-$10 a week but that is with referals too. A great survey site is Pinecone Research, but I think it is by invite only. I have done that one for years. There are some good mystery shopping sites too, you don't make a ton of money but you do get free meals, groceries etc.
    The lucky button and daily email have been good so far. I've also had my first referral! I'm having trouble with the tasks (same problem as with tasks on Swagbucks). But hey, only a few days in and I'm up 59 points. I think it's slow but I gather with referrals it goes faster.

Oh, I found $0.10 today too- deposited to the "Found Money" jar!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwoman View Post
    Also looking for Sobeys bonus points thread!

Not sure where the thread is, but I will comment on the program. I do agree with another poster that, for the most part, Sobeys has terrible prices. They have been bragging about "new lower prices" lately, and their Dollar Days sale is always great for me. I have found that if you really watch the flyers, it is a very good reward program. I learned just last week that you can combine multiple bonus point coupons on one purchase. I had three. I'll try to remember the exact numbers...
    1. 5x the base points wus $75 (came in flyer)
    2. 8x the base points wus $50 (friend got it via email)
    3. 275(i think) bonus pts wus $40
    (they were somehting like that...) and i read each one, and it said something like "cannot be combined with any other same minimum spend/recieve offer...so I guess since they were different "wus" amounts, they could be combined...
    I went in and spent $80.87, used all three coupons, and collected over 2300 points. (I calculated that this is worth appros $19 if I save them til the $50 redemption level or higher). that's approximately 25% back in points! For such an expensive store, I was thrilled with that return!
    And in that $80, I got a HUGE 3kg box of chicken breasts - on sale for $23 (and a 250 bonus point cuopon from the email, which is approx $2 worht of points), 2lb strawberries for 2.48, a cucumber for $1, I used a BOGO coupon on Arctic Gardens veggies and got 2 GIANT bags of frozen veggies for $9 (it was $7 per bag and the coupon's max value was $5, so $5 for one and $2 for the other) (THX $avvy! that's the one you sent me! i love it!!!), and other essential groceries at a reasonable price. Realistically, I don't ever look at the price of milk, since I know it's regulated so it'll be similar everywhere, so it's a good addition if you're trying to reach a certain $ amount at any store (SDM is another good one for this).
    I find that if you watch what you're getting there, the Sobeys point system can be a very good one! Good luck to anyone that's lucky enough to have it in their province!!
    Thx for the post $avvy, I love this thread!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I love this thread. I have been doing this for the past two months, and was able by using all the points and pins and airmiles, to not pay a penny in gas. I was using all my points in gas GC. I was also able to get some SDM GC and HBC GC from trading inserts and points.
    Thanks a lot for sharing. I will keep following this thread.

Trading Score
    117 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by busy mother View Post
    I love this thread. I have been doing this for the past two months, and was able by using all the points and pins and airmiles, to not pay a penny in gas. I was using all my points in gas GC. I was also able to get some SDM GC and HBC GC from trading inserts and points.
    Thanks a lot for sharing. I will keep following this thread.
    Nice job on your gas savings busy mother! The prices have been crazy lately so any reprieve is good...free is better!

Glad you like the thread. All the best!

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

Is anyone else good at collecting but not so good at redeeming or is it just me? I think it's the saver in me.

But that can really work against. Some points expire. And recently air miles has devalued their points so by keeping them, I have actually suffered a loss. Now if I had 500 airmiles, no biggy. But I have a lot lot more, so it adds up especially if we're counting our pennies and nickels and dimes.

So hats off to busy mother who is redeeming and making good use of the rewards!
    Extra cash here - earn by searching/watching videos/doing offers on swagbucks - it's a legit site and pays reliably.

Already do swagbucks?try Instagc or pm me for invite codes for Gifthulk.

Trading Score
    117 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giving-Small View Post
    Is anyone else good at collecting but not so good at redeeming or is it just me? I think it's the saver in me.

But that can really work against. Some points expire. And recently air miles has devalued their points so by keeping them, I have actually suffered a loss. Now if I had 500 airmiles, no biggy. But I have a lot lot more, so it adds up especially if we're counting our pennies and nickels and dimes.

So hats off to busy mother who is redeeming and making good use of the rewards!
    Your post made me smile! Actually my mom is quite the points hoarder and had some expire on her. I used to hold on to my miles to cash out multiple prizes at once but then when airmiles changes their "prices" on some items I had to pay more to get the ones I wanted. Had I redeemed even two days before that I'd have been fine. Anywho, since then I redeem my airmiles as soon as I reach the prize level I want. The only points I hang on to for a longer term is SDM for bonus redemptions.

Hope you didn't lose too much value on your miles. take care!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giving-Small View Post
    Superpoints is nice and reliable about paying. Redeem any day you like - pay day is Tuesday for paypal cash anyway.
    I've been getting my amazon.ca on Tuesday too. I do love how reliable they are though and that you don't have to wait a month or more!
    Collecting Campbell's soup labels for our school RAKs greatly appreciated.
    Using WagJag for great deals!

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information