User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 9 Things You Should Never Buy In a Supermarket

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Found this article today on the computer. Although it is obviously from the USA, I think that it applies here as well. Also, I think that any of us on here would consider all of these to be "no brainers", but thought I would post it nonetheless!

While most grocery store products are perfectly fine to buy, there are a few things you should avoid due to poor quality or exorbitant pricing. Here we reveal nine items we recommend you buy elsewhere.

1. Pre-ground coffee
    It sounds crazy, but buying pre-ground coffee can really put a dent in your grocery-shopping budget. The markup is tremendous! Luckily, many supermarkets offer great deals on whole coffee beans that can be ground right there. Another option: hit the nearby big-box store for some large cans. That's where you'll get the best bang for your buck.

2. Hardware
    Nails, extension cords, batteries, and light bulbs are considered specialty items at the grocery store. Not only will the selection be limited and in short supply, the prices will be jacked way up. Make the extra trip and go to the hardware store for these items.

3. Cosmetics
    As you probably know, the makeup selection at the grocery store is extremely limited. But when it comes to convenience, a huge selection doesn't always matter. Just remember, you'll be paying a notably higher price for that easy access.

4. Cookware and bakeware
    It's happened to all of us: while browsing the grocery store, you decide to try a cool new recipe that calls for a specific loaf pan or steamer pot. But before you grab a new pot or pan at the grocery store, remember, these items are heavily marked up. Additionally, they are rarely of great quality.

5. Certain non-organic fruits and veggies
    Yes, we are recommending you avoid specific produce from the very place you'd expect to buy it. Why? Because certain types of non-organic produce are more likely to carry pesticide residue. For example, celery, peaches, strawberries, apples, domestic blueberries, spinach, potatoes, lettuce all regularly test high for pesticides. If possible, head to your local farmer's market to pick up these items-or buy organic at the grocery. Note: not all produce is covered in pesticides. Here are some that consistently show little to no residue when tested: onions, avocados, pineapples, sweet peas, asparagus, eggplant, cantaloupe, mango, and kiwi.

6. Bulk items
    Some supermarkets have added aisles dedicated to bulk items. Guess what? Those items are still not as discounted as the bulk items at the big-box stores. Save your money and skip the bulk purchasing while grocery shopping.

7. Candy
    Bagged candy is way overpriced at the grocery store. You can get the exact same item for $2 to $3 less at the drugstore around the corner. Even better: satisfy your sweet tooth at the dollar store!

8. Diapers
    Of all the places to buy diapers, the grocery store might be the most expensive. You can save buckets of money by taking advantage of the constant flow of coupons and almost weekly deals from Babies 'R Us or Target. Want to save even more? Buy your diapers online at Diapers.com (free shipping over $50).

9. Greeting cards
    Snagging a birthday, condolence, or Mother's Day card at the same store you buy kitchen provisions will cost you. Not only is the selection limited, but also the offerings tend to be shockingly expensive-perhaps $2 to $3 more per card. Stop by a stationer or even a drugstore for better, cheaper options.

(Reproduced from http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/9-things-y...permarket.html)
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess, Target
    Missing my Best Friend since 1971. RIP Lynda (1947-2012)

Have Questions About Internet Marketing? ASK ME!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree with most of these. I haven't looked into the price of whole coffee beans. I always thought they were more expensive. I can't afford organic produce and farmer's markets are too expensive, so I'll just have to continue not worrying about that one.
    missxhillary likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    332 (100%)

agree but it would be a convenent way to shop at one place for all. i make sence that we have to pay for a higher price.
    missxhillary likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Smart Canucks know how to get great deals on these nine items, by price matching, coupons, using points, and looking for great clearances.

We bought all our pots at the grocery store. When Loblaws changed to RCSS in one area, they cleared out a lot of stock, including pots. When Loblaws renovated one of their GTA stores before they became Loblaws Great Food, we got some super deals on cookware.

For greeting cards, NF discounted prices are great.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I can't agree with the ground coffee one; I only buy Timmies coarse grind (caffeinated of course) and it's the exact same price at every location that sells it including directly from Timmies ($6.99) so
    Last edited by KrazE; Sat, Feb 25th, 2012 at 10:07 PM.
    PurpleBunny89 likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Not sure I agree with any of these(except hardware) , my grocery store is either Wm or rcss and I would buy everything on that list from those stores.
    Lol bagged candy, cheaper at the drugstore? Must be a us thing, everything is more expensive at the drugstore, even the drugs!!
    PurpleBunny89 likes this.

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Thanks for sharing this great list
    "The whole value of a dime is in knowing what to do with it" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Obviously this article was written by someone that favours other stores and supermarkets. Big box stores, drugstores and hardware stores as alternative. How come dollar stores aren't recommended at all?

Savy shoppers know they can get good prices everywhere if they know how to look.

Trading Score
    205 (100%)

Interesting. I know anywhere I have shopped for greeting cards, the prices were printed right on the back of them. There is no arguing with that price LOL. A lot of grocery stores offer a 10% discount on the cover price. Of course there is always the dollar store but the selection isn't as nice.
    I am looking for quick trades for my pre-surgery stock up!

Updated TL/WL HERE

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by theweaves_dad View Post

1. Pre-ground coffee
    It sounds crazy, but buying pre-ground coffee can really put a dent in your grocery-shopping budget. The markup is tremendous! Luckily, many supermarkets offer great deals on whole coffee beans that can be ground right there. Another option: hit the nearby big-box store for some large cans. That's where you'll get the best bang for your buck.
    You shouldn't buy pre-ground coffee anywhere though, really. You get WAY better quality when you buy whole bean and grind what you need as you go.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I agree with most those but the ones I don't agree with are greeting cards and candy. Unless you shop at Metro, I find that card prices and candy prices are cheaper than those at a drugstore (I only buy $1 cards )

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 08:11 PM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

i saw this on yahoo a week or so ago.. i don't agree with most of it.. yahoo writers definitely will not be winning any prizes anytime soon for intelligent, well though-out content

Trading Score
    76 (100%)

I've bought frying pans and coolers at the atlantic sobeys several times. every once in a while they have deals that you get free food with the purchase of one. the quality isn't the best but we are still using them today and sometimes the value of the free food is more than the cost of the item you have to buy to get it.
    Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree with some of the items you posted, especially with the hardware and with the cosmetics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information