User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    48 (100%)

I need to get my income tax done. Where is the best place and most affordable. I have 4 t4's so everyone wants to charge extra fees to add up the 4 sets of numbers which I think is ridiculous.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

If you are low income or a student you can do it for free online at Turbo Tax.

Otherwise they charge $16.19 for a Basic return and $29.69 if you have a more complicated return with T5 and capital gains. For either it doesn't matter how many T4 slips you have.

You can even try it for free.

DH and I have used it for years since his taxes have gotten more complicated with Northern Allowance and capital gains. We used to do it by hand, which I didn't find too hard, especially if you have a copy of last years return, not much has changed since last year.

If you have Swagbucks, TrialPay is offering 135 SB ($1.50) if you go to TurboTax through their link.

Here is the direct link to TurboTax (previously QuickTax)

http://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-softwa...933397&src=aff

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Agree with RedEng....I have been doing my income tax returns for years (I also buy the online version). In fact, I have never in my life ever paid anyone to do them for me. The programs that you can get now are so easy. They literally walk you through it, holding your hand. I have been audited twice (I don't know why ) - they ask for your receipts and T4's that you claimed on your online return - but have never had a problem otherwise. I supplied them with all my receipts that I claimed, as well as my T4's and didn't hear anything else about it.

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Wow at turbo tax. I will have to look into it, but to be honest I'm terrified I'll do something wrong.

But for me it would be very basic...is it really very easy?

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Oh and alwaysdaddys...call Happy Returns and see how much they charge. I've been going there for years and they are cheap and I feel confident with their work because they are professionals.

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

I've been using UFile for 5 years now with DH. It's an online program you use and pay $15 to have the info submitted electronically. I find it very user friendly. Program decides who claims what deduction. Doesn't matter if you have capital gains, allowances, WCB pay, etc.
    Last edited by Tweetybird999; Wed, Feb 22nd, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Turbotax is awesome! Even if you are nervous about doing them yourself you have nothin to worry about when using the online version.
    You can enter all of your information and adjust a millions times if you need too. You don't pay one penny until you hit the button to file your taxes! They are also offering free online tax advice this year, so if you are unsure of a question or a section you can chat with an agent instantly for free!
    I've been doing my taxes like this for years for myself, my spouse, my business and my sister. I don't think it can get much easier or cheaper!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by frugalkitty View Post
    Wow at turbo tax. I will have to look into it, but to be honest I'm terrified I'll do something wrong.

But for me it would be very basic...is it really very easy?
    It is pretty easy to do your own taxes, especially if you have a copy of your Tax Return from last year. Then you can just fill in the same forms. The turbo tax version is nice, because it takes care of putting all the numbers in the right place.

I also like Turbo Tax, because it allows DH and I to file jointly (we still submit two returns, but it looks at our returns together to see who should claim something). I always play around with the numbers, such as RRSP contributions, to see if it's better to claim this year or carry over.

It's free to try frugalkitty, so just try it to see if you feel comfortable using it. They also have Customer Support to help if you are confused about anything.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Last year I used H&R Block online, it was $15 and then I net filed. I was really nervous doing them myself, but it turned out to be very easy. You can plug in all the information and don't pay until you are done if you want to try it out. My taxes are quite simple though, one employer, kid/dependent deductions and rrsps.
    Wanna make some spare cash? Check out Clixsense: http://www.clixsense.com/?5382267

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    220 (100%)

I use StudioTax. Free and easy to use.

http://www.studiotax.com/en/main.htm

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marmaduke View Post

FYI - If you have a Mac, Studio tax doesn't work....it only works for Microsoft based programming. Maybe you could get it to function if you are computer savvy, but I'm not.

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marmaduke View Post

Thanks for sharing, I played with this program and I am going to do my tax return on it.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I do taxes and have been for last 15 years. I charge $25 for a basic return.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

If you are low income you may qualify for "Make Tax Time Pay" sponcered by E4C, it's free. I volunteered for one last year (not doing taxes but helping with set up and such), thier training is very good, the people who do your taxes know thier stuff. Info here

http://e4calberta.org/maketaxtimepay.html

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

how do u file common law?? bf is gonna claim ortrho expense for my daughter...we r just wondering how this will affect ctb.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information