User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (67%)

My Sister-in-law is exclusively breastfeeding her baby and having period at the same time, is this normal? BTW, her baby is only a couple of weeks old.

I remembered my mother used to said she doesn't have her period while she BF us.

Any clarification would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    569 (100%)

I had mine since I gave birth and breastfeed for year.
    Want free Christmas shopping???
    get giftcards to Amazon!!

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

oh ya. O did kinda of a bummer as thats what i was told as well. and it really screwed us up with counting on the non/fertity part of it. and low and behold we ended up pregnant without trying when my son was a month old. so make sure she's careful BC if necessary.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I had bleeding/spotting for about six weeks after giving birth, but it went away. Including pregnancy, I didn't have a period for two years, woohoo! It didn't come back until after I'd weaned DS.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I breastfeed my son just for a few weeks and I was bleeding very heavy

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

If the baby's only a couple of weeks old, couldn't it still be postpartum bleeding?

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    oh ya. O did kinda of a bummer as thats what i was told as well. and it really screwed us up with counting on the non/fertity part of it. and low and behold we ended up pregnant without trying when my son was a month old. so make sure she's careful BC if necessary.
    That happened to my sister too.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I breastfed both my children for an extended time,and had my periods start aprox. 28 days after the flow from giving birth ended.I was also ovulating,and ended up conceiving when my daughter was 2 mo. old AFTER having my tubes tied via minilap....doctor told me that even though I'd ovulated the previous evening I wouldn't get PG......I miscarried 2 months later,which was a relief in a sad sorta way.
    Obviously breastfeeding doesn't stop everyones period,or guarantee sterility.I've known several friends with siblings/children less than a year apart!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    If the baby's only a couple of weeks old, couldn't it still be postpartum bleeding?

That's what I was thinking too. I bled for almost the full six weeks after giving birth and then my period returned about 8 months. I am still breastfeeding at 14 months and my period as been regular 28 days since by DD was at the 8 month point.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

It sounds like its still postpartum bleeding. Breastfeeding might stop your period...but it also might not. It really depends on the person. I didn't get mine back until TWO months after ds1 was weaned when he was 7 months. With DS2, I got it back around 18months but not reliably, probably due to breastfeeding. He just weaned last month, so I can't test that theory quite yet You can defently ovulated while breastfeeding and even ovulate without getting a period! Birthcontrol is a pretty good idea unless you want little ones close together!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RSAS View Post
    It sounds like its still postpartum bleeding. Breastfeeding might stop your period...but it also might not. It really depends on the person. I didn't get mine back until TWO months after ds1 was weaned when he was 7 months. With DS2, I got it back around 18months but not reliably, probably due to breastfeeding. He just weaned last month, so I can't test that theory quite yet You can defently ovulated while breastfeeding and even ovulate without getting a period! Birthcontrol is a pretty good idea unless you want little ones close together!
    Good response.

Mother Nature is at work, even when you don't want her to work - making sure the species can reproduce multiple times, and within a few weeks of a new birth, in some cases.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Yup it's normal, I got mine 5 weeks after delivering and breastfed both mine.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I got mine 3 months after ds was born..even while exclusively breastfeeding

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

my SIL got hers about 6 weeks postpartum with all her babies and she was still BF at that point. i got mine about about a month after i stopped BF ds1 at about 12 months PP and at 2 months after weaning ds2 at about 13 months PP, almost 2 years without a period but it returned with a vengeance!!

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

You can bleed for up to 6 weeks post-partum, so she could still be experiencing that. In addition BREASTFEEDING IS NOT A FORM OF BIRTH CONTROL!! I cannot emphasize that enough!!! Where I live they make a point of telling you before discharge!! Never assume because you are breastfeeding that you can't get your period or get pregnant!
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information