User Tag List

Trading Score
    34 (100%)

I’m a big fan of in-store coupons. Finding an automatic dispenser or a tear pad of coupons near a product you know you’ll buy is a great way to get multiples. About a month or so ago, a fellow coupon lady and I met up at SOF in Orchard Plaza. She had mentioned that someone saw me taking all the tear pad coupons in the store. Kindly enough the fellow couponer defended my honor knowing I am not a stockpiler in more than multiples of 6. This woman has been in my homes several time.

It has been some time now since this conversation and it weighs on my heart. I think that comes with being a group moderator so I have decided to write!

Here’s the dilemma: how many coupons should you take?

One reader thinks I take too many.

Question:

“Traci, I was disappointed in the advice you gave to a shopper at Safeway. I know you encourage people to coupon ethically. Yet you found $2 coupons for In Cuisine Risotto in the coupon dispenser in the store and took 6 of them. There was also the .75 off Uncle Bens Rice you took 10.

It’s no wonder most of the time these dispensers are empty! Shoppers must have read your group page before going to the grocery store. You also took six coupons for High Liner Fish. That is also a little excessive. I hope that in the future you refrain from giving shoppers the idea that it is okay to take more than their fair share of either coupons or a product.”

Answer:

When it comes to coupon tear pads and dispensers, my rule of thumb is to take only the number of coupons that I’m likely to use in a single shopping trip. I base that number on the size of my family (3) and how often we’ll use the product. Most grocery stores run on a 12-week sales cycle. Prices on most items will hit a high and a low during that time. I always aim to stock up when prices on a product are lowest, and buy enough to get us through to the next sale, unless its like toothpaste and shampoo then I buy 6 and that is all we need for 12 months.

I discussed a shopping trip where I bought six bags of frozen Risotto. I’d found $2 coupons on an in-store display about a month before the sale. I took six coupons, knowing that when the product went on sale I’d buy six bags. We’d enjoy rice and chicken meal every other week, at which point I could expect another good sale on frozen Risotto.

Taking those coupons paid off. The Risotto went on sale at Safeway and I paid $.50 a bag, so my six bags were a steal!

The same week, I found Dove Shampoo on sale . The coupon tearpad in front of them offered $2 coupons. I bought 12 certainly this is more than I need (6) however the coupon states WUB2 both myself and my daughter have longer thicker hair and use more shampoo.

I promote ethical couponing, not only in this group and when I did teach coupon use but also via my blog .

However, it’s a tough call when one person feels another shopper is buying “too much” or using “too many” coupons. For the size of my family and my method of shopping, I don’t consider 6 six bags of Risotto excessive.

The 15 boxes of granola bars I bought this week ( there are still coupons kicking around from the SS insert for Value packs of Nature Valley Exp May 312012 ) would likely not please the “Don’t buy so much” crowd.

But my healthy-snacking Husband goes through more than one box a week. That’s the quantity we need to get through until another sales cycle. I buy what we’ll use until the next sale is due. I think that’s reasonable and fair.

Question:

“My husband and I are proud parents of four children. A regular shopping week for me involves six jug of milk, four loaves of bread and lots of other large quantities. Last week I saw $1 coupons for amooza cheese. I took 12 coupons, the number of bags I was buying that day. But another shopper said I should only get one coupon no matter how many bags I bought. The tear pad was full of coupons when I left Safeway. Who’s right?”

Answer:

There’s definitely an element of “first come, first served” with any in-store offer. For every empty coupon dispenser there are others that sit full of coupons until their expiration date arrives. While I’d never advocate emptying an entire dispenser of coupons, remember that manufacturers place them in stores for one reason: to encourage people to buy their products. Take what you’ll use.

I as you know stopped going to the coupon swaps. On those tables lie the FULL TEAR PADS you are looking for in the store. Find a local meet up and you will indeed find the coupon you see. I myself will not attend those unless there are a select few that I will meet with. It has been a long time even for the few fellow coupon users I used to meet with at Capri Mall on Saturdays.

Happy Savings

BC Coupon Pixie
    This thread is currently associated with: Safeway, Save on Foods, Shoppers Drug Mart, Via Rail
    Know your body, know your mind. Know your substance, know your source.
    <!-- / sig -->

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

I also take quite a few coupons at a time, especially if they are super good coupons and/or if they are for non- perishable foods or foods that can be frozen for some time. I also grab several at a time for trades because not everyone can find certain coupons.

I also provide some of these great deals for my family as my mom, sister and myself are not working and we have children.

I never take the entire pad, that is something I won't do. And when it comes close to expiry date and I still have a bunch, i will leave them by the product at the store or if I see someone purchasing the product, i'll give them a coupon.

I definitely agree on first come first serve. Its no different for couponers and non-couponers. If stores have an awesome deal, they go fast..its natural and its bound to happen. Some places luckily will give you a rain check which is good for those who don't get their in time before theyre all gone.

I admit that I've purchased several of the same items at a time (couple weeks ago I got 8 loaves of bread and lots of stares haha) because I absolutely cannot pass up a good deal on essentials like that that my family goes through often. Same with cheese, I am always stocked up on those.

I don't think you should feel so guilty for doing this. Items go on sale to be sold fast. And you and ur family benefit greatly from stocking up when you can. I don't want to preach or anything but I'm sure everyones heard about the whole "new world order" theory so no matter what happens for however long, its GREAT to be as stocked up as possible for when these items may not be available to us anymore or for awhile. These stock items also make for good "bartering", trading other people for items if or when times get rough. Its all around a great thing to do and I don't see anything wrong with it at all.
    Last edited by Lil*Mama89; Sat, Mar 3rd, 2012 at 01:36 AM.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I take coupons based on how much I actually buy of the product and if I know certain friends would benefit from said coupon AND on how many tear pads I see.

I take multiples of 2, 4, 6, 8 and sometimes even 10 & 12.

Some products have only one tear pad, so I take the lower amount. I've seen some products with 4-6 tear pads around the store, so I'll take a bit more if it meets the above requirements.

You bought 12 cheese packages so you used 12 coupons. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. If the company wanted you to use only one, it would say so on the coupon, IMO. Those amooza coupons kept breeding (seriously) and I saw them for a long time before they finally disappeared. It got to the point where I was tired of seeing them because I kept thinking it was something new I also took 12 and have 6 left for the next sale. It's the only cheese I can eat when it's not fridge cold.

I think certain people have too much time on their hands and like to criticize and nitpick every little thing. As long as you're actually eating or using the product, go for it. I don't buy to have it sit there collecting dust.

Also, I think experience has a lot to do with knowing how many to take. I know when I first started I took too much of certain things because I was excited about the whole process. I ended up giving out the extras to friends and putting some back at the stores. There's also some coupons that I wished I had taken more of *shrugs* It's a gamble sometimes.
    Last edited by slayer_glade; Sat, Mar 3rd, 2012 at 02:02 AM.

Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Thanks for the read! I agree! Experience and foundations of knowing your home use makes the difference this coupon shopping is a gamble!
    Know your body, know your mind. Know your substance, know your source.
    <!-- / sig -->

Thread Information