User Tag List

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Do you want to check the status of your Income Tax Refund ?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cabmonk View Post
    Oh yeah thanks, usually for me it has been that day or sometimes the next day. When I filed my return I told my aunt I would have money I owed her March 9th (Yeah I was hoping lol).
    Yes. It also depends on the bank. Some process it earlier & some later, but I think CRA & Government send it at the same time.

I have a BMO account literally at 1 minute past mid night all Government deposits, Salary deposits etc get deposited in that account , so literally at 12.01 AM on the day of deposit.

I have a Tangerine account they don't deposit stuff till maybe 7.30 AM in the morning or sometimes even later as late as in the evening.

I have seen a 1 day delay from bank to bank, depending on which your bank is for salary deposits, CRA deposits etc . I think various banks reconcile their accounts & update their online accounts at different time of the day.

One day I deposited cash in BMO on Friday with the teller.

At the branch level, ATM level the cash deposit was showing up immediately in the balance & available .

But when I went home & checked online , the cash deposit money didn't show up online till Monday . Its not like it was a check, where they put a hold, it was cold hard cash.

Needless to say I was sweating bullets for 2 days

I think sometimes the money is already there (deposited) , but the banks are too lazy to update & reconcile their accounts
    cabmonk and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I had a really dumb thing happen to me one day at a bank atm, good thing it was at my own branch. I was depositing cash at the atm over a weekend. Instead of the envelope going in the slot it went in a small crack right above the envelope slot. So the envelope went somewhere inside or behind the atm. I called customer service and went in person on the Monday and they found the envelope on the floor behind the atm. Lol now that's stupid haha.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Thanks for all the updates, @tjthemanto !
    cabmonk likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Just checked My Account and my return is received! Super happy to have mailed my envelope in mid-February!

Was in my Shoppers post office area scoping out the clearance Valentine's Day chocolate and I noticed that the boxes of forms and books and envelopes are on the ground under the lineup tape barrier. Certainly hope customers are mindful not to let any melting snow on footwear close to the cardboard boxes. Usually staff put the boxes on the end of the counter.
    cabmonk likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Just checked My Account and my return is received! Super happy to have mailed my envelope in mid-February!

Was in my Shoppers post office area scoping out the clearance Valentine's Day chocolate and I noticed that the boxes of forms and books and envelopes are on the ground under the lineup tape barrier. Certainly hope customers are mindful not to let any melting snow on footwear close to the cardboard boxes. Usually staff put the boxes on the end of the counter.
    Last year 90 % of the eligible tax payers filed their returns Online according to CRA website. This year might be the same or higher.

Plus they are again mailing the forms automatically to people who did paper returns last year.

So I hope all these printed booklets in SDM are not wasted this year. My SDM has tons of them, and no one is picking them up yet, so does my local library

Last year people were picking them up faster. I think if its your first tax return, you HAVE to do it via paper the first time ! You can't do it Online, the very first return. So maybe lot of NEW immigrants might be picking up these booklets too, to do their first return

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Or maybe there are accounting students taking taxation that are keen to have a set of the tax booklet and forms on hand as reference or practice materials for personal use.
    tjthemanto likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I was told this year the CRA resources have been more allocated towards collecting taxes ( receipts ). Like owed taxes from people, HST returns form businesses, vendors, restaurants etc. They are more focused on collecting taxes/money from people.

And as far as giving out income tax refunds, they are giving it out faster & not checking much stuff. They can always AUDIT you later on, even after issuing you a refund. So keep the records & receipts handy just in case they ask for it later on.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Checked this morning and my return was assessed for March 8th. Yeah and my aunt says I worry too much which is probably right haha.
    So was the IT refund money also directly deposited on March 8 th or maybe the next day on March 9 th ? Or is it yet to come ?

I guess the NOA was also available on March 8 th or maybe March 9 th ??

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Yeah I forgot to say my refund was deposited this morning at about 1am.
    Ciel and tjthemanto like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Yeah I forgot to say my refund was deposited this morning at about 1am.
    Cool. So it is confirmed.

Future Assessed Date = Date of Direct Deposit for your Income Tax refund.

The future Assessed date will be given after you NETFILE your return Online. Usually it will be 10 - 15 days from the day you file your return.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

My tax package came in yesterday's mail. Completed my return (no slips to wait on) so it's going to the post office today. Spot on 30g-one P stamp!
    Funnily, Hamilton part of Hamilton-Niagara is now getting its returns directed to Winnipeg for processing (per addressed envelope provided in package).

OK-line 364 for public transit amount in the personal tax credits section of the income tax return. Those of you who had a monthly transit pass anytime during Jan-June 2017 can claim a tax credit for those passes. Only Seniors can apply for a transit pass credit for purchases from July 2017 to Dec 2017.

@avoncallingu -line 256 is about a 50% reduction for US social security benefits if you meet three conditions. Just wanted to point it out in case you were able to get those benefits in 2017 that will be claimed on your tax return for 2017.https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...gn-income.html

@Ciel Has your mailed paper return been assessed yet ? Let us know when they process/assess it

Just trying to get a time lime for mailed returns ( not online Netfiled returns )

1. Mailed on Feb 17

2. Received by CRA under My Account on March 3

3. Assessed and Direct Deposit of Refund on ???
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Sat, Mar 17th, 2018 at 10:32 AM.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

My folks are dropping their return in the CRA drop box.

They have some stuff which is complicated and the software cannot handle it properly. Hence the paper return. They have contacted the IT software, and even they have admitted there is a minor error in the software.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    @Ciel Has your mailed paper return been assessed yet ? Let us know when they process/assess it

Just trying to get a time lime for mailed returns ( not online Netfiled returns )

1. Mailed on Feb 17

2. Received by CRA under My Account on March 3

3. Assessed and Direct Deposit of Refund on ???
    How odd-I checked my account and is says filing date is April 30, 2018? Like how does CRA come up with this stuff.
    Assessed with date of March 26, 2018 to view my NOA. I had 0 outcome. But that means now my return will be set up for the July 2018 GST/OTB credits.

My guess is that the return got assessed this week, so under a 1 month after mailing.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, Mar 17th, 2018 at 03:16 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

How odd-I checked my account and is says filing date is April 30, 2018? Like how does CRA come up with this stuff.
    Assessed with date of March 26, 2018 to view my NOA. I had 0 outcome. But that means now my return will be set up for the July 2018 GST/OTB credits.

My guess is that the return got assessed this week, so under a 1 month after mailing.
    Good so your Refund will also be on March 26, 2018.

Looks like its consistent with their timeline.

4 weeks for mailed returns if mailed before April 15 ( which you did )

6 weeks for mailed returns if mailed after April 15

8-10 business days for NETFILED digital returns.
    Ciel likes this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

DH and I Netfiled our taxes together. We both have a refund, but while my taxes were assessed and the refund deposited on March 8th, DH has not received anything. His account says that his tax return has been assessed the same date as mine, March 8th. No word on that deposit though and it is now the 26th. Is anyone else waiting, or should I be making plans to call CRA?
    Ciel likes this.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information