User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cloth diapers

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    81 (100%)

Anyone do or have done cloth diapers? I'm really interested in buying some but I need to know how others have found them. Are they hard to keep up with? Yucky to clean? Worth the trouble? Thankyou very much.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We cloth diaper and we do it the easiest way possible. We use mostly kushies (because of price) and we use liners. Our system is to throw wet diaper and liner into a pail with lid and wash every other day. Dirty diapers, we simply flush the liner (which is nice way to eliminate smells that disposables can't even do) and put diaper into the pail. We don't soak our diapers before washing, this makes things much less messy. Now that my little guy is 8 months we have started putting him in disposables over night, because the wetness wakes him up too often, when he is in a cloth diaper. But I figure even 7 disposables a week is much less costly then buying disposables every day.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    81 (100%)

Thankyou. How much have the kushies cost you so far and how much are the liners per month?

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I used in- disposable brand ...but that was many years ago. I kept a pail of water and Amaze in the bath tub and washed them every other night on super hot! I bought sm and large and a few x large sizes. I bought lots of covers! I used disposables if I was out. But other then that I didn't . I bought a few thick liners for night. But I must say my son was trained before 15 months!! I think they ran - small per dozen $50??? But I can't really remember??
    New mom October 2014!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

We use them and love them! We use kawaii baby brand. Not terrible to clean...you get used to dumping the poop. We put them in a DRY pail, (a wet pail will wear your diapers out faster) wash them on cold for 2 cycles and then either toss in dryer or hang to dry. We have saved soooo much money too, not just on diapers, but also on garbage disposal. If we used disposables, we would have to put out an extra garbage bin every week....

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    81 (100%)

The kawaii diapers look great! They are adorable, one size and a good price. How many do you buy to get started or to have a full set for the whole time? Thankyou so much for the info!

putting the kettle on.. sweetproserpina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

We love our cloth diapers! We use a service that provides the diapers, but we supply and wash our own covers. Originally, I had planned to buy bummis prefolds and wash at home, but we have our water trucked in, and had an old washer- it was going to cost us soo much for water! As far as smell etc. DD was entirely BF, and those kind of dirty diapers don't smell (I know- weird, but true) When she started eating solids, then we had to make sure everything went into the wet bag, and into the charcoal infused pail. It's totally unnoticeable except when you are right on top of it putting in a soiled diaper. We also air out our pail every week outside for a day, makes a difference.

I wash my 7 covers a couple times a week as they need it, just with DD's regular laundry. I love thirsties and bummis brand. I bought most of them second hand for about 50$ total.

For us, it was an environmental choice- the thought of throwing out all those plastic diapers, and having all those chemicals close to my DD was too much. I haven't saved a ton of money because the service is about the same prices as 'sposies, but for us it was worth it.

We're potty-training right now, and (so far) it's going really well, whether cloth had anything to do with it, who knows!
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.
    RLF: Goldfish!!, Butter, Astro Yogurt, Triscuit Thincrisps...

putting the kettle on.. sweetproserpina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by l1o1l1l1y1 View Post
    The kawaii diapers look great! They are adorable, one size and a good price. How many do you buy to get started or to have a full set for the whole time? Thankyou so much for the info!
    I think DD went through about 70 diapers a week in the early days, and is now down to about 40-45 a week (at 2yo). It all depends how often you want to wash. I think 2-3 dozen is usually a good number to begin with.
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.
    RLF: Goldfish!!, Butter, Astro Yogurt, Triscuit Thincrisps...

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by l1o1l1l1y1 View Post
    I have 24 i think. We wash every 2-3 days. Im not sure how many you would need right from newborn... we didn't switch to cloth till ds2 was about 6 months old. depends on how often you want to I guess. A newborn will go through at least 10 diapers a day...

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    44 (100%)

LOVE Love LOVE my cloth diapers. We have been doing it since birth.

Our favourites are GroVia Hybrid, AMP, Apple Cheeks, Charlie Banana and BumGenius 4.0's. Yes, a little more pricey but they are taking the abuse that we are dishing out with great ease.

We have been using liners since we started solid food (although with BM only totally unnecessary) and just flip the liners into the garbage or toilet.

We have approx 26 diapers in our stash and wash every 2-3 days.

We have done the math including our extra washing machine hydro and it's still very well worth it.

Oh, and the cute prints are AWESOME!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    44 (100%)

Oh, and I want to mention - there is CLOTH Facebook Groups where you can buy/sell/trade... don't buy new...

They are either product specific (GroVia, etc) or location specific... I'm loving the Cloth Diaper Swappers / Traders CANADA right now.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    81 (100%)

Thankyou all so much for the info!

Trading Score
    133 (100%)

Another Cloth diaperer here! My dd is 20 months and has been in cloth since she was 2 weeks old. We use bum genius 3.0's and elemental's during the day and goodmama's with thirsties covers overnight. I wash every 3 days or so.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

We used cloth diapers (Kushies) for our daughter, but we switched to disposables when the boys were born. Cloth was more of an inconvenience with the boys since they seem to pee through them and I needed to change their clothes more frequently.

When I factored in the "chemical soup" that was in the diaper pail (Amaze, Diaper Pure, Arm & Hammer laundry booster), and the extra expense of drying these thick diapers, I'm not sure how much was saved in the long run. I think if it was economical, the diaper service would be the way to go.

For the poster that used only cold water for the diaper wash...not sure if that's a good idea if you want to get rid of stains and contaminants.

The good thing about cloth is that the baby feels the wetness more and perhaps this would be an aid for diaper training.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post

For the poster that used only cold water for the diaper wash...not sure if that's a good idea if you want to get rid of stains and contaminants.
    we don't have any stains. They go into the dryer, which is hot or on the line to dry and then sun is a natural way to kill any nasties. DS2 is 2.5 years, we have had no issues with washing this way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information