User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    You found a coupon where?
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

With the upcoming bonus redemption I thought I might get myself a Sony E Reader The reviews online are confusing to digest.

I mostly use the reader on my computer for library books. I would love it if someone who's bought the one from SDM to let me know if they love theirs and if they use it for library books. TIA
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart, Sony Style
    Christa

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I don't have one but yes you can use it for library books.

I did my research before buying and went with Kindle. SOOO many more free books and better prices for books. But you can't get library books in Canada *yet* on it.
    You can also share and loan books with other kindle owners.

Mine & my moms were free thanks to swagbucks and superpoints.
    Used my shoppers points for other things.
    Get free gift cards for amazon & paypal. I've earned $100's with the click of my mouse!
    Swagbucks: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/TremorKitty
    Superpoints is BACK! https://www.superpoints.com/join/5Gp...0VOe51KdfmpCzw

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by camera_mom View Post
    With the upcoming bonus redemption I thought I might get myself a Sony E Reader The reviews online are confusing to digest.

I mostly use the reader on my computer for library books. I would love it if someone who's bought the one from SDM to let me know if they love theirs and if they use it for library books. TIA
    Why don't you just apply sony master card to get free sony e reader

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...153&langId=200

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

You have to get approved and my credit is maxed right now
    Christa

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I got 2 at Christmas; one for me and one as a gift to the BIL.

I was happy to go with the Sony brand in order to get library ebooks. I have not stopped by and made arrangements with the better library system, so have not ordered library books yet - I am slow. Plus I still have some books to read, so not in a rush.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi everybody,

http://www..ca/register/140192/

You will get $60 cash (+ $2 for registering on the site), AND when you make 5 purchases on your credit card before May 31st, you will get a free Sony E-reader. The card has $0 annual fee!

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i have a sony, older model though but they have only gotten better.. yes you can use library books, yes you can download books from all sorts of sources and put it on your reader.. yes you can put PDF on your reader, i download my books like i download my music or movies and upload it onto my reader without an issue.. i have owned a ereader for atleast 3 year now and i have NEVER paid for a book

i would also never go back to reading traditional books
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Banned
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Yes you can download library books onto the Sony reader, but be aware that just like real books there are a limited number of copies the library allows checked out. So if you plan on reading popular books, it's possible that you could be waiting months to get a copy. And then they only give youe like 14 days to read the book before it's automatically "returned" and you are locked out.

Downloading books on the otherhand, is extremely easy.
    Since the Sony reader uses epub, it's basically as simple as going to Google and typing in the name of the book you want + the file extension (in this case .epub).

You can find a number of links with direct downloads. Then you just simply drag and drop it onto your e-reader and you are done.

I own a Kindle and a Kobo and I tried to do the library thing, but I just didn't have to patience to wait MONTHS in a waiting list for a copy of a new release book at the library. Downloading a free copy from mobilism is just way quicker.
    Last edited by BobSagget; Tue, Mar 6th, 2012 at 02:27 AM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks all.

Bob you are right in the waiting forever for some books but I find if I spend an hour putting holds on all the books I possibly want to read in the next year and then in the meantime keep myself reading the books that are available I never seem to be without a book in my adobe. And when the books come in you have a couple of days before you check them out which gives you time to finish the book you are reading and with my library you can change the default checkout from14 days to 21 days.

Right now I do it all on my laptop. I've been wanting a reader forever but just didn't know if I would like reading from a a screen repeatedly but since I've been doing it for the last month I think a e-reader would suit me perfectly.
    Christa

Trading Score
    182 (100%)

ok, i am not an ereader expert (my daughter has one) i want to download free ebooks, can someone post a safe site? .... and another question... i know is a very very silly... if i am on my ereader can i download a book directly from it??? or do i have to do it at home in my pc then plug in the ereader and blah blah blah... ...

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_love_to_save View Post
    and another question... i know is a very very silly... if i am on my ereader can i download a book directly from it??? or do i have to do it at home in my pc then plug in the ereader and blah blah blah... ...
    Mine is not a Sony, it's a Kindle. But it has WiFi on it, so I don't have to plug it into my computer to get the book, can do it right from the reader.

Trading Score
    182 (100%)

yes mine has wi-fi too...Thanks i guess i can try .... another thing about the Sony e-reader that i don't like is that when you flip from page to page it is ecstatic or looks weird and you have to wait like 3 sec for the page to change.... also i just got the ereader 3 months ago and it is already freezing!!!!!!!!! it happen twice already when my daughter was reading her book and she tried to flip the page and it froze for a whole day.... so not sure if anybody is experiencing the same issue and maybe let me know what should i do....i bought it at Future shop and do not have the receipt ....

Banned
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Mine is not a Sony, it's a Kindle. But it has WiFi on it, so I don't have to plug it into my computer to get the book, can do it right from the reader.
    That's one thing I love about the Kindle that no other reader has. You get your own @kindle.com address.
    I love using Calibre to email books to my Kindle.

Banned
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

ok, i am not an ereader expert (my daughter has one) i want to download free ebooks, can someone post a safe site? .... and another question... i know is a very very silly... if i am on my ereader can i download a book directly from it??? or do i have to do it at home in my pc then plug in the ereader and blah blah blah... ...
    I like the ebook section at Mobilism.org
    http://forum.mobilism.org/viewforum.php?f=121
    You simply download the book in epub (for sony reader) or mobi (for kindle) and then put it on your device and start reading.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

yes mine has wi-fi too...Thanks i guess i can try .... another thing about the Sony e-reader that i don't like is that when you flip from page to page it is ecstatic or looks weird and you have to wait like 3 sec for the page to change.... also i just got the ereader 3 months ago and it is already freezing!!!!!!!!! it happen twice already when my daughter was reading her book and she tried to flip the page and it froze for a whole day.... so not sure if anybody is experiencing the same issue and maybe let me know what should i do....i bought it at Future shop and do not have the receipt ....

Future Shop probably only deals with issues for 30days, you would probably have to contact Sony.
    Without a receipt I'm not sure if either will help you?
    Did you pay with a credit card? You could find the receipt that way and some credit cards actually have their own extended electronics warranties.
    I actually saw a lot of reviews that there is a big page change delay on the sony and the kobo.
    Get free gift cards for amazon & paypal. I've earned $100's with the click of my mouse!
    Swagbucks: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/TremorKitty
    Superpoints is BACK! https://www.superpoints.com/join/5Gp...0VOe51KdfmpCzw

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information