User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 5 1/2 month old solids

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Well, DD never did so great with solids (I posted here about that), but DS is GOOD. Yet, he's only 5 1/2 months.
    So, instead of having a baby that doesn't want solids, I believe I have one that wants too much.

I just started him 3 days ago, and already he's finished off 2 jars of carrots (the 'normal' size ones) and 2 of the BIG jars (like the 2 small jar size) of carrots and peas.
    Yesterday, he ate a whole BIG jar of the carrots and peas (over 3 meals), and today he's had about 1/3 of a big jar (for breakfast/lunch).
    He's still taking 30-32oz of formula.

Am I giving him too much solids..?
    (I gave him so much yesterday, because he was refusing his 3rd bottle, so I thought I needed to give him something....)
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

This all depends upon SO much. You could just have a good eater, like our son was.

We started cereal early, we started baby food early (all with doc's blessing!), and we pretty much skipped junior because by five months he was on table food (mushed, etc.) that we were eating. At six months, we barely had to modify his food at all, he just ate what we ate.

Check with your doctor - our son was always at the very highest percentile for height and weight and it was steady, so ours wasn't concerned.
    Also, eating more helped him to actually sleep more (the dude didn't sleep through the night til he was over a year) - he would sleep a half hour, then be up for three or four! What a crazy time!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I do plan on talking to his pedi, he's just on vacation for like another week, I believe (he took a really long one, oi).
    He does sleep well, has for about 3 months now (I woke him for 1 feed at night, until 2 weeks ago).

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

He might just be a big eater. I figure babies will let you know if they've had enough or if they're still hungry.

My friends kids were the highest percentile for height and weight and they ate a lot of baby food once they were on it.

Our DD isn't a big eater, she's 4 months old and only just went up to 6oz of formula per feed, and now eats 4 times a day (so 24 oz total per day). She's also slept 10-12 hours a night since 6 weeks old, so I'm assuming she's not going to be a huge eater once she starts on solids.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

She could change any day now! lol
    DS was the same as your DD, but at about 3 1/2 months, he started picking up. Before that, he would only eat like 28oz a day, but then he started wanting up to 40oz for like 2 weeks. He's been taking 36 oz for a month now, until a few days ago, I dropped him down to 32oz and started the solids.

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

I don't have any advice on this one, lol.
    DS ate about 24oz a day until 3 months, then it was 34oz. I started him on cereal in the morning at 4 months, then about a 1/3 of a small baby jar for dinner at around 5 months. He was a big baby too, at 6 months he was 29inches and 24lbs. At 9 months he was back down to a bout 24oz of milk along with cereal and about a 1/3 cup of fresh veggies/fruit.

He is a year old now, 33inches and 31lbs. He drinks about 22oz of milk a day along with a packet of Heinz Kids oatmeal for breakfast, yogurt and 1/4 cup of veggies or fruit for lunch and for dinner 1/4cup of veggies and a handful of Gerber Puffs and/or Gerber Cheesies.

Also he has had unlimited water throughout the day in his sippy cup, from about 4 1/2 months.

I've always regulated what he's eaten though, my DR always told me that babies can easily overeat so its up to the parent to decide what intake works for them.

Just do what you feel is right, every baby is different.
    Last edited by shmeelady; Wed, Mar 7th, 2012 at 05:21 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

try letting the baby feed himself. Baby led solids. Babies wont feed themselves too much, but will certainly eat too much if it is spooned into their mouths. Just put pieces of food in front of baby and let him go at it. Not only is it healthier then jarred food, but cheaper too. Pureeing breaks down all the natural fiber in the food which would cause constipation. Also, don't forget that breastmilk or formula should be making up most of babies diet under 1 year. Any solids are in addition to the milk not instead of it.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I don't have an answer, but a request.

Post a picture when he turns orange? hehehe I love orange babies (My mom has an orange picture of me..heh)
    Previously CanadianBella... I'm baaack!
    Check out my Trade & Wishlist

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I googled it and found this.. looks pretty cool!
    www.babyledweaning.com
    Previously CanadianBella... I'm baaack!
    Check out my Trade & Wishlist

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBella View Post
    I don't have an answer, but a request.

Post a picture when he turns orange? hehehe I love orange babies (My mom has an orange picture of me..heh)
    Haha. Really? He does love carrots...

How can I let him feed himself? He doesn't have a single tooth, yet. =/
    I do let him have Baby MumMums, he just sucks on them until they're mushy..

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

I would not worry about how much he is eating- provided it is healthy food. all babies are different. my son goes through phases but has never been a particularly huge eater. he picks at food like a bird most of the time. I was worried about it because he is a big kid- born 10lb6oz and is now prob about 38-40lb and not quite 2. he's not chubby in the least though- he is very tall and lean but crazy muscular for a toddler. (abs and everything O_o) but my ped. said he is just fine. i started feeding him solids because i thought he needed them because of his size at about 5 1/2 months. tried baby food but he never really liked it (except custard) i think you just have to go with your gut, but make sure it is healthy food
    Last edited by krysta lynne; Thu, Mar 8th, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

don't need teeth! if the food is soft enough for you to mash with your tongue against the roof of your mouth, it should be fine. My babies got teeth and 7 months and 10 months and were both self feeding solid foods, including meat, well before then.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

just a question...I'm a first time mom and have a Lo thats almost 4months old.
    I was wondering when is a good time to start him on cereal, water and solids?

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

what I remember is once they can hold their head up straight without assistance. they can start on solids. my kids started on mashed 'plate' food from 6 months..
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lavenderplum View Post
    just a question...I'm a first time mom and have a Lo thats almost 4months old.
    I was wondering when is a good time to start him on cereal, water and solids?
    Usually around 6months. They should be able to sit unassisted and have lost the tongue thrust reflex. You totally don't need to give cereal if you don't want. Baby rice cereal is just empty carbs. You can go ahead and give real food to start such as bananas, avocados, sweet potatoes, chicken, meat... water not before 6 months! Too much water will cause an electrolyte imbalance and is potentially fatal. All the water they need is in the breastmilk or formula.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information