User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Crock Pot or Rice Cooker?

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 08:11 PM.

Mia
    Female
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    It depends on what you're cooking in the crockpot. A roast for example, wouldn't cook in four hours. The ones with timers, I think they're mostly so you won't overcook things.

I've read conflicting reviews on putting pasta in the crock, sometimes it ends up mushy. I've never tried it.
    So it isn't necessary to cook something in the crock pot for so many hours?

Can you cook without setting the time? For example, cook for 1-2 hours and then swith off the crock pot?

As I understood, rice cooker is mainly for rice, right?

Well, maybe I will go for a crock pot. I want something which can cook everything without burning and very easily.
    Relax, enjoy your coffee (tea) and earn money! Any time, when you want! http://www.clixsense.com/?5881505
    And earn Amazon and other gift cards as well, fast and easy! Anyone can!
    https://www.swagbucks.com/refer/zerehas

Mia
    Female
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    I have a rice cooker only, a black and decker cheapie. Makes making rice effortless because it is impossible to burn. Perfect for doing corn on the cob and artichokes too (LOL, not that I do that much) Rice takes 55 minutes in my device but I just set it up and wait for it to ding. Most veg is ready in under 20 mins. I've also used it to steam Chinese dumplings. It's not hugely versatile but the quality of the rice when cooked means I've had and used one for at least 20 years. (Before that I lived beside a Chinese restaurant and would call down for steamed rice and pick it up for $1. Lazy huh? And before that I was a Professional Rice Burner LOL)

I like to do my slow cooking on the stove for the sake of browning things before everything gets put together.

If you can hang on until the beginning of May, kitchen appliances will be on sale for Mother's Day (May 13)...maybe you can spring for both?

Thank you very much.

My rice is not always good but basmati rice is relatively easier to cook.
    Relax, enjoy your coffee (tea) and earn money! Any time, when you want! http://www.clixsense.com/?5881505

Mia
    Female
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Do you know if Amazon.ca has a sale for kitchen appliances for Mother's Day?

Good that Hamilton Beach has a removable pot!

Thank you for that useful hint!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I have three crockpots,and a rice cooker. As my family grew the size of the crockpot grew. But I still have the small one we received as wedding gift, I use this one for work events. In the winter one of the crockpots is in use almost daily. Even DH has a few recipes he does and this week my 11 yr old son found a crock pot recipe in Canadian Living so he and DH put it all together before we left for work and DS was very pleased with himself.
    The one hint I would offer is make sure all parts are oven proof, because then the pot can serve double duty. You can often find great deals at Canadian Tire around Christmas & Mothers day for around $25.00.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 24th, 2015 at 06:22 PM.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I have 4 crockpots, a steamer and a rice cooker. I use the steamer a lot lately, and the crockpot is by far my favorite. i have never opened the rice cooker.
    if you were big into rice, i could see it being a good investment. but if you want the most versatile machine, it's by far the slow cooker. You can make almost anything in there. a roast, stews, soups, potatoes, pulled pork... TONS. there are recipes everwhere, you'll always find something new to cook in there.
    the steamer is awesome for veggies too, cuz you just set it and can walk away. i love that i can throw chicken in the oven, veggies in the steamer, and then go do some laundry or something and come back in 20 mins to eat dinner.

if it's a matter of space/cost vs versatility, go crockpot!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    So it isn't necessary to cook something in the crock pot for so many hours?

Can you cook without setting the time? For example, cook for 1-2 hours and then swith off the crock pot?
    Not sure about cookers with timers, mine doesn't have one! But surely you can just turn it on, cook, and turn it off when you're finished?

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

Definitely go with the crockpot. A crockpot can be used as a rice cooker. You only need that single appliance to do both jobs.

Mia
    Female
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Thank you very much for all your help!

I appreciate all the opinions, and I got so much useful information!

I think, I'll go for a manual crock pot.

What do you think about this one?

http://www.amazon.ca/Quart-Classic-C...1356642&sr=1-6
    Last edited by Mia; Sat, Mar 10th, 2012 at 12:55 AM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

That looks very similar to the one I have, and I use it quite a bit with good results. I like the oval shape since I can fit bigger/longer things in it, even if they're frozen.

Some folks will tell you that your family will die from food poisoning if you put frozen meat into the crockpot, but in my experience that's not true at all. I regularly start it up with frozen meat. For me that's useful since it extends the cooking time a bit.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    269 (100%)

Hi Mia,

That's a very good choice. Has just what you need (low, high, keep warm), you really don't need one with all the bells and whistles. It's a simple concept - long cooking at a low temperature.

Zonny - many slow cooker "experts" say you can start with frozen meat.

One last thing that wasn't mentioned, you can also bake some items in a Slow Cooker. Apparently cheescake comes out great.

Mia, get one free with SB and start enjoying. Just don't do what I did yesterday and throw the ingredients in and forget to turn it on. LOL

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I can't believe how cheap slow cookers are these days. When I was in the States at Christmas time, Macy's was selling full-sized Crock Pots for $10! If you think about it, there really isn't much to the appliance; it's just a heating element with a heavy crockery vessel.

I have both and I use my rice cooker a lot more, but only for rice. We have rice a fair bit, and I like that I don't have to tend it, with the added bonus that it stays warm until I serve it. The slow cooker is very clunky and does not get used much at my house.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I saw a rice cooker cookbook at the library today. It can make a lot more dishes than I thought it could!

There are also super cheap rice cookers for $10 or so, but I hear they make a major mess from people who've bought them.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have 2 Crock Pots, a 5 quart and an 8 quart. I use the 5 quart one (crockpot brand) for pretty much everything, it is just the right size for a meal for a family of 4 or 5 (probably more, mine are gluttons lol). I rushed out at Christmas and bought the 8 quart one (hamilton beach) because I was doing scalloped potatoes in my 5 quart and my turkey was too big, so I needed something for my ham.
    I prefer my Crockpot one over my Hamilton Breach one.....It feels better built.

I have a veggie steamer, a cheapie from CT that cost $15, I do my rice in that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information