User Tag List

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree378Likes

Thread: 2012 Christmas Club

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Last year me and DH bought all our Xmas wrapping paper and decorations after Xmas LOL The price was so low we had to get some. So we have enough wrapping paper to wrap all the gifts and decorations. We just bought our house last year so money was a bit tight. I hate to say this but this is also a great idea. Xmas gifts I got last year, which I don't like, hate, or I just have no use for I have kept and will be regifting. NOWWWWW I know some people may look down on this, but, the gifts I got our in their boxes still, and if it is bathstuff is still all nicely wrapped etc. So I just put the name of the person on the gift who gave it to me, so i know not to give it back to that person. And will give it to someone else in the family who will enjoy it more than me.

Also, the gifts I am regifting are nice! like a tea set, a nice crystal bowl (I have way to many of them, that's what happens when you get married lol), great cooking books, I even got a bird house as a gift lol (which i gave to my MIL, she knew it was a gift someone gave me but i didn't want it and asked her if she would like to have it and she took it. ) I also have like cute little tea towel sets etc. Some nice stuff I am regifting lol.

Of course i still have to buy gifts for people but hey these gifts are good for family memebers who give you something small every year and you have to give them something in return, like a family friend, the aunt you only see once a year and of course a secert santa at your work.
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Fri, Apr 20th, 2012 at 09:47 AM.

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

If you're on Pinterest (if you're not, get going LOL) they have some wonderful ideas for beautiful homemade gifts. I'm making my list now so I can get started and take my time making them, and find the deals I need for supplies.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Amber - Share the gift ideas...... or your name...... you people can see your pins online...

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    Amber - Share the gift ideas...... or your name...... you people can see your pins online...
    Waaaaaay too many ideas! But if anyone needs an invite, let me know.

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

I love the idea of this thread. Will keep checking back for ideas.
    There are some great idea's here and Amberlab is right, Pinterest has some amazing craft ideas.
    Thanks OP for the post
    AmberLab likes this.
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

In a couple week, half way through may I am hoping to pick up either some ice wine bottles or just smaller wine bottle to start steeping my homemade vanilla extract, can't wait, this is so much fun. I think that I am going to use a gold sealing wax and press "H" into it with a wax stamp. Think that will be nice, not sure what I will do to dress up the vanilla sugar....but I do collect vintage canning jars (they are super easy to get a hold of around here) , it could look pretty in those, but then again that is not everyone's style. Hmmmm....not 100% sure what to do about that. But those will go towards my mom, grandma, aunt in laws, and grandmother in law. I think that they will love it, or I hope so!
    AmberLab and DianneS like this.
    www.facebook.com/perduemassageclinic good things come to those who like my page

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bgheuchert View Post
    In a couple week, half way through may I am hoping to pick up either some ice wine bottles or just smaller wine bottle to start steeping my homemade vanilla extract, can't wait, this is so much fun. I think that I am going to use a gold sealing wax and press "H" into it with a wax stamp. Think that will be nice, not sure what I will do to dress up the vanilla sugar....but I do collect vintage canning jars (they are super easy to get a hold of around here) , it could look pretty in those, but then again that is not everyone's style. Hmmmm....not 100% sure what to do about that. But those will go towards my mom, grandma, aunt in laws, and grandmother in law. I think that they will love it, or I hope so!
    I would love to hear how you make your vanilla and sugar. I go through a TON of vanilla and it's soooo expensive ... I bake cakes on the side to make some extra $$$.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

So I am really excited too because the plan is that for Fall I will have my storage room FILLED with everything that I need for over the winter that is storable, this will make things sooooo much easier for the christmas season too, then in November I get any speciality items I will need, and plan the christmas meals, then hopefully I will only have to pick up produce. OOOH that will be sooooo good!
    EricsMom-will pm you later on tonight or tomorrow when I have some time, it is SOOO not hard to make you will LOVE IT!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Share it here if you can to give others ideas as well.

today I cashed for another 5.00 amazon gc. so happy to see that little stock pile grow

bgheuchert- congrats on the stockpile growing. That must make you feel so good. . I love having my pantry nice and full, it gives ma bit of calm.

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

yes, please share here, I would like to know how to make the Vanilla Sugar as well.
    Thanks
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

OK! Here it is, the SECRETS OF HOMEMADE VANILLA and VANILLA SUGAR!!!

1)Go to the liquor store
    2)Purchase a 66 of vodka, rum, or brandy
    3)Go to Costco and buy some vanilla bean (they are the freshest and cheapest there, excellent quality)
    4)Go home and pour yourself a double (seriously you will need the room in the bottle)
    5)Stuff the bottle with 10ish beans that you have cut in half
    6)Now put the lid on and steep for min 6 weeks, although the longer you let it sit the richer it gets, and it never goes bad. Now TRY not to "SAMPLE" it too often, as it will be the best vanilla extract you have ever smelled and tasted...and you do want SOME for christmas presents, right??!!

Now, after you have drank your double, waddle over to the closet and get a quart sized jar, put 2ish vanilla beans in it that you have cut in half and fill it with sugar. Lid. DONE. You will be able to start smelling it after about 2 days, but honestly same as the extract the longer it sits the better.

SO EASY YOU GUYS!
    p.s. i had a person ask me once if you could just steep the beans in water, NO, they will only steep properly in alcohol, sorry but ALL vanilla extract is made from alcohol, although I am not complaining Try making a double out of the extract after it has steeped for like 4 months, holy heck AMAZING! I've had stuff that has steeped for a year, PURE HEAVEN!
    flyingdutch and i_forget like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

hmmm. thank you so much.

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

Yes, thanks very much

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I plan on also making some baking as gifts as well. Maybe make some holiday cookies for people as part of their gift there is nothing like homemade cookies or cakes to show someone you care
    flyingdutch and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saveadollardiva View Post
    I plan on also making some baking as gifts as well. Maybe make some holiday cookies for people as part of their gift there is nothing like homemade cookies or cakes to show someone you care
    OHHH! I agree! Every year my grandmother in law sends our favorite cookies. There is not much that I wouldnt do for her shortbread. I send out baking to my brothers and mother. I have also thought about doing a tub of frozen cookie dough or prescooped frozen cookie dough so they can just bake at random (my family is not very skilled in the cooking department haha!). One idea I had seen while randomly surfing the net was to go pick up pie plates at a second hand store. Make and bake a pie, and there you go, gift the pie and it doesnt matter if you ever get your pie plate back, I am betting that could even be cheaper than the throw away tin ones. And it looks prettier too. Ugh! With all this talk of food and baking it makes me excited to start planning the christmas menus! I KNOW, obsessed much? Doesnt matter, I am taking a big rubbermaid into my storage room this week and then it will be there to keep seperate all the non perishable baking items that I will need for the christmas gifts, so when I start to pick stuff up it won't get used in the meantime, although I wont start to shop for this stuff til fall. Who knows, I might find some good tins to stock up on in the meantime.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information