User Tag List

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

For those that give their babies formula? How do you know how much to make at a time.
    My baby has a set amount usually but it is +/- one ounce.
    The formula can says to use within 1 hour if baby drinks from the bottle.

I hate wasting formula, especially since it is so expensive.

My baby is a little over 2 months usually drinks every 3 hours but sometimes it can extend to 4 hours or a little longer overnight.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

when I was feeding my little girl formula I think it was 1 scoop for every 2 ounces. ( she just got off it a month ago due to a weight gain issue she is 2) but if she didnt drink the whole thing i would just refrigerate it untill she was hungry again. I think the cautionary drink within the hour thing is the same as the boil the water thing. Due to bacteria growing, but i dont think it really makes that much of a difference. I would dump the bottle if your baby gets hungry later on and you forget to give the made bottle in the fridge and make a new one ( I used to always do this) than I would dump it.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

When he was a newborn I used the concentrated formula. I'd poor them into 6oz bottle portions, usually he would eat about 2-3 oz per feeding and then I would put the leftovers in the fridge and re heat for the next feeding. I switched to powder when he was a month. He was drinking about 5oz so I would make 8oz bottles and put the leftovers in the fridge. When he was ready for his next feeding I would boil water in the kettle add 2oz boiling water to the cold formula so it was warm and add the rest of the powder. Sure beat the wait time on boiling and then heating. lol.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

When my little guy was a baby, I would make him a jug of formula every morning and then just pour from it into the bottles. That way if he wanted a little more it wasn't a big deal and almost all of it was used. The throw out within one hour if baby drinks from bottle is because the baby would transfer bacteria back into the bottle through their saliva, its the same as not feeding a kid directly from the baby food jar because their saliva contaminates it.

Also you can buy baby formula jugs at the store they come with a mixer built into the container, mine worked great.

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pbmama View Post
    The throw out within one hour if baby drinks from bottle is because the baby would transfer bacteria back into the bottle through their saliva, its the same as not feeding a kid directly from the baby food jar because their saliva contaminates it.

My DR never expressed concern over this. He said that a bottle would stay safe from one feeding to the other. I wasn't too concerned either, DS never got sick, was never colicky, and never spit up ONCE until a few weeks ago. lol.

As DR said, a bit of bacteria isn't going to do any harm to the little guy.

I did the same with his homemade baby food, fed him half the container and then put the other half back in the redfridgerator.

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

I always just made 6 ounce bottles and she usually drank that amount. Sometimes she left up to 3 ounces left which does suck to toss, but the only other option that I can think of would be to make smaller bottles and just add a bit more, bit more, etc. That seems like too much hassle for me.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for the replies, nice to see the different methods everyone uses.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

what i did was mix my formula with half the water and put it in the fridge. so when baby woke up, all i had to do was add the other ounce with hot water, give it a quick shake and was ready to go. saved time. the power i used said it was good for 24 hours if not heated and refridgerated. so i made up 8 bottles at a time.

Thread Information