User Tag List

View Poll Results: TLC's extreme couponing good or bad?

Voters
413. You may not vote on this poll
  • No change!

37 8.96%
  • Change for the better

48 11.62%
  • Change for the worse

237 57.38%
  • too early to tell

91 22.03%
Page 11 of 114 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: TLC Extreme Couponing

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GottaLoveFreeebies View Post
    Ohhh I see! That explains it I think!
    Does this mean we'll be getting extreme coupon'ers now (as if we didn't already have any hehe)

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My only thought during the episode was why? I understand keeping a year's supply (don't know why I understand, but I do)...anything more than that is extreme....maybe that's why they put an extreme addictions program on after it? And I can't say anything about the dumpster diving...I recycle bin dive occasionally. My neighbours keep flyers for me for the coupons. And did you guys see it...they were able to scan their coupons!...I wish. lol
    Last edited by donnalee73; Wed, Dec 29th, 2010 at 10:46 PM.

Awesome
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OK now this I'm SUPER jealous about -- in the US you can buy whole coupon inserts (ie. redplum, smart source, etc) online for 0.60 each, or 0.40 each for the older ones.

Trading Score
    19 (100%)

LMAO i was just about to post this but ontgal33 beat me to it the show is coming on at 11:00PM tonight on TLC is this a one day only show or is there going to be a season of extreme couponing?

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

i've noticed a lot of new people in the game room as well... not just today, but for the last couple of weeks

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

lots of first time posters in the cute pet contest as well

Banned
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by annedougherty View Post
    1000 bottles of body wash! lol I thought some of us had a lot!
    And he was buying more on his shopping trip. There's definitely a problem there.

Ron.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 02:58 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I found a clip from GMA today that shows scenes from this episode (if anyone didn't see the full one on TLC, like me,) and discusses the fact that this is a form of OCD. Check it out here: http://www.iamthatlady.com/2010/12/e...your-thoughts/

This is extreme, and considered hoarding and a form of OCD, IMO. Nathan Engels donated 1100 boxes of cereal to the food bank. While it is sad to see him clear out the shelves, rather than leave some coupons on the product or fairy them to other customers, let's give him props for donating the cereal to others who might not eat otherwise. But why doesn't he donate 1,490 deodorants as well? He won't possibly use them before they expire (and deodorant does expire, at least Old Spice, Secret, Dove and Soft & Dri all have expiry dates on them).

But what really hit it home for me that this is an obsessive disorder was the woman who spends 70 hours a week chasing coupons and shopping, and has paid the ultimate price for it: time with her husband, family and friends. I could relate to her in terms of being busy (my shop is open 60 hours a week, plus my deliveries and bookkeeping, I end up working around 70 hours/week).

Don't get me wrong - I love couponing and paying next to nothing for items I use everyday, or will need in the future (for ex, a bottle of cough syrup). I also love making a stop at X Grocery store because they have so and so on sale and with a coupon it's free, so I'll get a few for the food bank.

But, I would never NEVER EVER sacrifice time with my boyfriend to get an extra 25 boxes of pasta, that we may or may not eat. If I don't make it to Sobeys to get the pasta for us, or to Metro to get soups for the food bank because I was spending time with my loved ones, it's OK. I won't beat myself up over it. There are plenty of sales and plenty more coupons that make it easy to only stockpile for the next six to 12 months. That way, you can get fresher products too, be it for your family or the food bank.
    Last edited by ChristieJ; Thu, Dec 30th, 2010 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Trading Score
    112 (100%)

Just watched the show. I totally agree that some of those stashes are over the top! Deoderant does have an expiry date buddy, usually about 2 years.
    I love the comment about "cashier profiling" though, I totally do the same thing and I would also agree with her statement about things going on sale about an average of every 3 months. There is really no need to buy more than that, except for maybe things that don't expire like toilet paper and such.
    Win daily prizes worth $150 to $10000 sign up here!! I've won 3x $150 GCs since Jan.2012
    http://www.todaysdraw.com/?invite=5780

Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Well said!I Agree completely!

Quote Originally Posted by ChristieJ View Post
    I found a clip from GMA today that shows scenes from this episode (if anyone didn't see the full one on TLC, like me,) and discusses the fact that this is a form of OCD. Check it out here: http://www.iamthatlady.com/2010/12/e...your-thoughts/

This is extreme, and considered hoarding and a form of OCD, IMO. Nathan Engels donated 1100 boxes of cereal to the food bank. While it is sad to see him clear out the shelves, rather than leave some coupons on the product or fairy them to other customers, let's give him props for donating the cereal to others who might not eat otherwise. But why doesn't he donate 1,490 deodorants as well? He won't possibly use them before they expire (and deodorant does expire, at least Old Spice, Secret, Dove and Soft & Dri all have expiry dates on them).

But what really hit it home for me that this is an obsessive disorder was the woman who spends 70 hours a week chasing coupons and shopping, and has paid the ultimate price for it: time with her husband, family and friends. I could relate to her in terms of being busy (my shop is open 60 hours a week, plus my deliveries and bookkeeping, I end up working around 70 hours/week).

Don't get me wrong - I love couponing and paying next to nothing for items I use everyday, or will need in the future (for ex, a bottle of cough syrup). I also love making a stop at X Grocery store because they have so and so on sale and with a coupon it's free, so I'll get a few for the food bank.

But, I would never NEVER EVER sacrifice time with my boyfriend to get an extra 25 boxes of pasta, that we may or may not eat. If I don't make it to Sobeys to get the pasta for us, or to Metro to get soups for the food bank because I was spending time with my loved ones, it's OK. I won't beat myself up over it. There are plenty of sales and plenty more coupons that make it easy to only stockpile for the next six to 12 months. That way, you can get fresher products too, be it for your family or the food bank.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Melaniegreness click the link to sign up and search the web. You can earn things like free gift cards!

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by miztia View Post
    watching it now! who needs 9 shopping carts full on one trip? crazy!!
    9 charts? My grocery store won't let me redeem more than 20coupons in a transaction...they'd have to do like 40 transactions!

Quote Originally Posted by annedougherty View Post
    That was nuts lol. I wish cashiers here could just scan the coupons though. Kind of leaves some of the moral judgement out of it.
    I've often wished that too. Maybe one day. It would help with the whole english as a second language issue I run into (and the whole 1 per purchase!)

It's on again in 13minute here. I'm gonna watch it just to prove to hubby that I am no where near that bad.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    153 (100%)

its on again in a few minutes...might just stay up and watch it
    My Queen passed out from pure bliss thanks to her secret Santa. Bless you kind angel

Trading Score
    153 (100%)

sorry Insane, we posted at the same time. I wish I could tape it just to prove that what I do is not that wack-o
    My Queen passed out from pure bliss thanks to her secret Santa. Bless you kind angel

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by VeeVee View Post
    Just watched with my family...they were shocked haha Its great there saving money but seriously did she need 200 boxes of pasta or 100 bottles of gatorade?
    That's exactly what I was thinking too! It's really extreme hoarding!
    I'm all for couponing and even stockpiling, but there is a limit to how much stuff a person should have stockpiled in their home. Sales will come up again several times a year, you don't have to buy it all at once!

Page 11 of 114 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread Information