User Tag List

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

So I just finished making up a canning jar of taco seasoning. I currently have my slow cooker making dinner for tomorrow and 1 to freeze and my bread machine making some yummy multigrain bread with pumpkin, seasame, and sunflower seeds.

So I thought I would share some frugal things that I learned since I started being so frugal. Speaking of bread machines, in Canada you don't need to bread machine flour. Apparently in the US their flour is more processed than ours (like so many other things) so they need a special flour to make their bread that isn't as processed. You can save yourself a lot of money by using regular flour. You may want to stick with bagged so you know where it is from.

Does your daughter dance? Mine does and I was sick of always buying tights. I don't like her dancing in tights full of holes though. I found a coupon in the Entertainment Book for 20% off at a Dance store in Castle Downs. I am never near there but this weekend I was going to be close so I stopped by. I was looking at tights and they had "durable" tights. The two stores where I shop charged more for their tights and only sold "performance" tights in the same brand. No wonder I was going through so many tights! The stores were only selling performance tights so we would have to buy more tights. The "durable" tights are so much thicker, like the ones when she wore when she was a little girl.

There was was very little difference between the XL girls and the small woman's so I bought 5 pairs in beige and 1 in pink as she needs pink sometimes for performances. So I got better, thicker tights for less money and got an additional 20% off. These will last her awhile and I have some back-ups. It was definitely worth the trip!

I also check the local thrift shops for dance shoes and found a pair of jazz shoes for $4.00 yesterday. I have found 4 or 5 pairs of her shoes this way. I also have a couple of dance costumes for future solos that cost me less than $10.00. Even if she only uses 1, I have saved money as I pay $100 a costume. I assume a solo costume may cost more as only 1 is being ordered.

One costume I bought she wears to musical theater every week. She loves it and it was way cheaper than a new body suit which usually runs about $30. Most of the costumes are more for the stage but this is suitable for class. She is the best dressed in class!

This week I also checked my aeroplan miles and found I had enough for a $50 Rexall giftcard. Finally got enough cokepins for movie passes.

Last week I also sold over $150 worth of items on kijiji. I think I will be going through more of my basement! I think next to go is my cake decorating items
    This thread is currently associated with: Aeroplan, Cake Beauty, Pharmaplus, Rexall PharmaPlus
    Last edited by alwaysdaddysgirl; Sun, Mar 18th, 2012 at 06:05 PM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

thats awesome and reminds me I want to check kijiji myself lol!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    138 (100%)

how do you make taco seasoning?!?!

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mrsfreeman View Post
    how do you make taco seasoning?!?!
    Ooh I would like the recipe too please? Did you get any coke pins from the depot? Hope so!

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

Thanks to Kissjo for this taco seasoning recipe. I made it times 8 because of all of the 1/4 tsp. It made it nice and easy to make a big batch. Reduced the salt.

Here is a recipe for taco seasoning....caution....it can be spicy so adjust the spices to your preference:
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    (source: Allrecipes.com)
    Last edited by alwaysdaddysgirl; Mon, Mar 19th, 2012 at 12:41 AM.

Never stop learning... Big Pink's Avatar
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Great, thanks!
    “Give the world the best you have and you may get hurt. Give the world your best anyway.” – Mother Teresa

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Here is a great recipe to use your bulk taco spice and your slow cooker. I make taco spice in bulk and also there is a recipe for spaghetti sauce seasoning in bulk too....just add a Tbsp or 2 to a can of homemade jarred tomato puree or canned tomato puree.
    Anyways, back to the recipe.
    In your crockpot...
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (can be frozen)
    1/4 to 1/2 cup taco seasoning
    1 lg or 2 sm cans of diced tomatoes
    Cook these things together for 4 hrs on high or 6 or more on low. Take out chicken and chop into small cubes. Put back into crockpot and add either 1 can of black beans, drained or to make it even more economical, buy dried beans and cook them in your crockpot at an earlier session. Warm beans and chicken back through, about an hour--divide up and freeze in plastic baggies.
    Eat this fajita-type filling in flour tortillas with taco like fillings. Usually this is enough for at least 2 meals--freeze one/eat one!
    PS-the spaghetti seasoning mixed with tomato puree tastes better than any canned spaghetti sauce I've tasted!
    Last edited by crAZy4dEAls; Mon, Mar 19th, 2012 at 11:27 AM.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I do a similar thing with chicken except I use salsa instead of canned tomatoes. I like the kick.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    138 (100%)

great recipe! thanks so much!

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

If anyone has Robin Hood flour coupons please let me know! I need to keep that bread coming!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I do the same thing with my chicken as Orual. I buy the chicken breast with bone attached (usually cheaper than plain chicken breasts), then slow cook with taco seasoning and salsa. When done, top with shredded cheese and sour cream....Yummy! I save the extra sauce and add it to soups and chili.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysdaddysgirl View Post
    If anyone has Robin Hood flour coupons please let me know! I need to keep that bread coming!
    I went to McGavins today to used my Groupon and got 10 loaves of bread for $15 - and they were all good loaves of bread - sourdough, 12 grain, flax seed, etc. They all expired this week, but we freeze our bread anyways, so it worked out great.

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

With spring coming here is another good tip. Did you know your lawn only needs 1" of water a week? Have your little one paint a tuna can and set it in the dirt where it won't get disturbed. You would be surprised how many weeks you don't need to water your lawn. Our gardens are all watered with water from our water barrel. Last year we never watered our lawn! If you live in Strathcona county they offer water barrels and compost bins in the spring for an awesome price.

Vacation over too soon! winkerstones's Avatar
    Trading Score
    283 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysdaddysgirl View Post
    With spring coming here is another good tip. Did you know your lawn only needs 1" of water a week? Have your little one paint a tuna can and set it in the dirt where it won't get disturbed. You would be surprised how many weeks you don't need to water your lawn. Our gardens are all watered with water from our water barrel. Last year we never watered our lawn! If you live in Strathcona county they offer water barrels and compost bins in the spring for an awesome price.
    thanks for the tip. I have a water barrel and use it for my garden but good tip with the tuna can!

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

With my daughters b-day coming we are having a Project Runway party. I am upcycling and re-making or upcycling costumes out of some of my daughter's old dance costumes. I also made my daughter a huge tutu out of vintage tulle that I had in my fabric stash. We are tie dying some t-shirts I bought for $3.00, painting nails, eating homemade cupcakes and then will put on a fashion show for the parents using my daughter's karaoke machine. I also made the invites and the cupcake toppers. A great party that should cost me under $25!
    Last edited by alwaysdaddysgirl; Sun, Apr 1st, 2012 at 10:34 PM.

Thread Information