User Tag List

Page 2384 of 3022 FirstFirst ... 1384 1884 2284 2334 2374 2382 2383 2384 2385 2386 2394 2434 2484 2884 ... LastLast
Results 35,746 to 35,760 of 45330
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Club Q Q107-Loyalty Club (Southern ON Only)

  1. #35746
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    394
    Likes Received
    0
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    buy a good pair of all season. never had snow tires and i drive 78kms 1 way in a 1/2 ton ,no weight in the back no problems what so ever
    That's the key word "good"! A "good" set of all season radials will out-perform a mediocre priced set of snow tires, no matter what the condition of the road unless of course you are up to your door handles in snow with an icy base, in which case, nothing will work except perhaps a set of chains.

  2. #35747
    Still keeping the faith SillyLoocie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Near Toronto
    Posts
    29,339
    Likes Received
    68053
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)




    Did you know that Tim Horton once had a burger joint in Scarborough? He lived on Warden Ave. Not sure where this joint was.

    Check this out!

    Name:  Warden Ave in Scarborough where Tim once lived before he switched to donuts.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  28.6 KB

  3. #35748
    CaLoonie driver_91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    65
    Posts
    188
    Likes Received
    0
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Quote Originally Posted by SillyLoocie View Post
    Did you know that Tim Horton once had a burger joint in Scarborough? He lived on Warden Ave. Not sure where this joint was.

    Check this out!

    Name:  Warden Ave in Scarborough where Tim once lived before he switched to donuts.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  28.6 KB
    Looks like it was just a pyramid scheme!!

  4. #35749
    Senior Canuck
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    606
    Likes Received
    44
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Quote Originally Posted by SillyLoocie View Post
    Did you know that Tim Horton once had a burger joint in Scarborough? He lived on Warden Ave. Not sure where this joint was.

    Check this out!

    Name:  Warden Ave in Scarborough where Tim once lived before he switched to donuts.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  28.6 KB
    did that become the Mr Sub at Lawrence and Warden? Actually on Lawrence east of Warden?

  5. #35750
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    394
    Likes Received
    0
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Quote Originally Posted by 6ffightr9 View Post
    Summer tires get hard at 10 degrees celsius while all season stay flexible to -10 and winter stay flexible to -30. I live in Toronto and I don't believe it is the centre of the universe. I do travel outside the GTA so winter tires are warranted. I've been using winter tires since after my first winter driving a front wheel drive car in 1987. Ever been stuck behind a car without winters on on a small grade with its wheels spinning because of lack of grip. To say it only snows 3 or 4 days a year in Toronto where winter tires are needed sounds like selective memory or they just moved here within the last 2 years. You cannot compare the superior traction of winter tires with allseasons. At least half a dozen times a year I've had to take evasive action to avoid someone sliding into my lane or through oa stop light (sign). I left Toronto in the middle of a snow storm (this winter) to go to Detroit, where it was dry as a bone an 6 degrees( C ) and never had any problems ( they didn't melt or even get warm ). Like auto insurance those with a clean record have to pay for those slipping and sliding, and ending up in the ditch ( not always that drivers fault ) because of driving habits. So make it mandatory.
    No it should NOT be made mandatory for drivers in the GTA to have snow tires on their vehicles. For typical GTA road conditions (360+ days a year), good all-season radial tires are far superior to virtually any snow tires, in virtually all situations.

  6. #35751
    Pull Together Argo53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Etobicoke
    Posts
    6,115
    Likes Received
    3121
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    Popasmurf - I see you "need to go riding". Based on what you've read here, are you planning on using all season radials or snow tires on your bike??

  7. #35752
    Still keeping the faith SillyLoocie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Near Toronto
    Posts
    29,339
    Likes Received
    68053
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)




    I do not know the exact location of this establishment. Anyone know the answer to this question?

    I know he lived on Warden Ave in Scarborough and here is a link to that article from the Toronto Star.

    http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/loca...k-tim-horton-s

  8. #35753
    CaLoonie driver_91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    65
    Posts
    188
    Likes Received
    0
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    O.K. I've gotta go make some dinner. The kid'll be home soon.
    Later dudes n dudettes.

  9. #35754
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    394
    Likes Received
    0
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    There are several majors point often missed in the Winter Tire vs All-Season Radial debate:

    1. Where does the driver live and drive?

    2. The difference between Summer Radials and All-Season Radials?

    3. The actual condition of the tires?

    Here are some facts:

    1. If a driver resides and drives in a very light snow fall area, such as the GTA, snow tires are not necessary. In fact, all-season radials will far outperform snow tires in the GTA under all road conditions.

    2. Unlike summer radials, which are designed primary for dry/wet non-icy/non snow covered roads, all-season radials incorporate many of the same features of a snow tire, while keeping the characteristics of control and performance that only a radial tire can provide.

    3. Once a tire gets older, much of its "traction" features disappear along with the thread. This is true for both radials and snow tires alike. But the fact is, a 2-3 year old radial, depending on mileage, will far out-perform any 2-3 years old snow-tire because snow tires are simply not designed to last very long in non-snow road conditions. In fact, driving on snow tires in the GTA for just 3 months of the year, where 90%+ of our driving will be on dry or wet pavement will wear out a snow tire 3-4 times faster than we would wear out an equivalent quality/priced all-season radial tire.

    So yes, if you plan on doing a lot of driving outside the GTA where you will be driving through heavy snow for a lot of the time, by all means consider snow tires. They will pull you through the heavy snow better. But if your driving is predominantly in the GTA, put the money you would spend on snow tires into a good set of all-seasons radials. The benefits of the all-seasons will far outweigh any rare benefits realized from a set of snow tires.

  10. #35755
    Smart Canuck ic_ou812's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    3,063
    Likes Received
    2322
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy123 View Post
    Very well said! We mandate seatbelts because they are proven to save lives, as are winter tires, so what would justify not mandating it?

    I fell for the all season sales pitch many years ago and we used them for a long time until the day that a guy slid out in front of me at a stop sign and I T-boned him on the passenger side, in spite of my best efforts to stop. We were both on all seasons and the officer who came to the scene said that while he was at fault (and got the ticket for failing to stop), my tires had also caused the accident because winter tires would have allowed me to stop.

    And the common belief that winter tires pulling down your gas mileage is false. We've run winter tires on both of our vehicles for 5 years now (since my accident). We track our fuel consumption regularly. The difference we see in our average mileage numbers between winter and summer is exactly the same as the difference we would see when we used the same tires all year round. That difference is caused by the fact that colder air is more dense and your car needs to burn more fuel to overcome the friction of air resistance. That said, easing up on the acceleration will easily cover that mileage increase.

    And with that, your physics lesson for the day is complete, Q-bees!

    It would not be the cost...if you look at owning a pair of summer tires and a pair of winter tires, the cost would be the same as going through 2 sets of tires over twice the time interval. Both sets of tires would last twice as long, since you are swapping them before the summer and winter season every year. As an added benefit, you have the proper tires for each season.

    And with that, your tire financial lesson is complete, Q-bees!

  11. #35756
    Smart Canuck michelem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    oshawa,ont
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,910
    Likes Received
    104
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    Quote Originally Posted by SillyLoocie View Post
    We remember sleepless nights & cuddling you in our arms,
    Even through a mother’s fatigue, we were captivated by your charms,
    The first time that you smiled at us, was like winning the grandest prize,
    Your delightment at each & every day with that sparkle in your eyes,
    Feeding you off your little spoon, & wiping your little chin,
    You shared your little baby thoughts with that toothless little grin,
    Your little outfits never fit for long, cause you grew so very fast,
    How those rites of passage, remain so unsurpassed,
    Soon you were crawling around & getting into everything,
    We would take you to the park & secure you in the baby swing,
    You started taking steps & soon you were walking around,
    We always knew you were into something when you didn’t make a sound,
    If you ever got a boo-boo we’d say what is the matter?
    How we loved when you’d talk to us in your little person chatter,
    You became a terrible two, showed your stubborn side,
    But they are still days we reminisce with pride,
    The turbulent threes & those fearsome fours,
    & of course in the interim those sibling wars,
    You were soon off at school & your life branched out,
    You were no longer a baby with a cute little pout,
    Your school days whizzed past in the blink of an eye,
    & we Moms learned the meaning of time does fly,
    Now you are grown, but you are still “my child”,
    & yes there are more milestones we Moms have compiled,
    Being a Mom is a privilege & the best thing that happened to me,
    I also think all you Moms out there, will have to concur & agree,



    Hugs for the Moms today.
    xx
    SillyLoocie you have truly done it and got me bawling here,Thank u so much my dear friend . You truly are a gift to me and others on this fun site !! That poem was so nice and im sure Chers is all choked up too.

  12. #35757
    Cool Nerd karmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,304
    Likes Received
    0
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    So is the question whether or not we have the space to store 4 tires per vehicle per household? Does the benefit outweigh the inconvience? I think the jury is still out.
    Just because something isn't right for YOU doesn't mean it's wrong.

  13. #35758
    GreatScent Mmmme...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West of GTA
    Posts
    15,635
    Likes Received
    2855
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)




    If you have a regular place you get your car serviced, they may have a place to store tires. My mom lives in another province and the pace that services her car stores her tires. I am not sure if any place in or around the GTA offers that service, though you can always ask.


    Quote Originally Posted by karmac View Post
    So is the question whether or not we have the space to store 4 tires per vehicle per household? Does the benefit outweigh the inconvience? I think the jury is still out.






  14. #35759
    Ah-weem-oh-wep ... Gold Lion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Somewhere north of 7
    Posts
    232
    Likes Received
    0
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Quote Originally Posted by karmac View Post
    So is the question whether or not we have the space to store 4 tires per vehicle per household? Does the benefit outweigh the inconvience? I think the jury is still out.


    Growing potatoes in tires is not as bizarre as it may initially seem. While farmers have been growing them in mounded dirt for eons it's a relatively new trend to grow spuds in your vehicle's seasonal tires.
    It makes sense. Firstly there's the recycling component: you will need at least 4 tyres to grow potatoes in which accounts for at least 2-3 years of driving value. Then, there's the space issue: you can grow far more potatoes per square metre than growing them in the soil. Plus, vertical gardening is always an added bonus because it makes use of the space above the ground which is often wasted.

    Finally, when it comes time to harvest your spuds it's just a matter of pulling off the tyres and letting the potatoes fall out - much easier than breaking your back digging them up. Take the newly reclaimed winter tires down to your local garage and have them installed on your car.
    Bring your summer tires home, stack them up and place your winter supply of driveway salt into the new stack for easy access. Who cares what the neighbors think.
    This Month's Cool Site - Google Translate for Animals



    Friends are a very rare jewel indeed. They make you smile and encourage you to succeed.

  15. #35760
    Crazy Camper IMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    309
    Likes Received
    0
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    OK - This has been really interesting and everyone has their thoughts on what type of tires are needed, and most of them are valid. (seeing how you can always find evidence to prove your point.)
    I do want to point out however that: Are you really willing to bet the lives of yourself, your loved ones and anyone else on the road that the tires and the condition they are in is the best for the situation "ALL THE TIME, every time"? I'm not talking 360 times out of 365, because it's those 5 times that'll do you in!
    If your answer is yes, then sleep well.
    If not, then please spend a couple of dollars to get the best you believe in!!

    Please use caution and smarts while on the roads, you are not the only one using them!!!!!
    How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you were?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •