User Tag List

Page 2385 of 3022 FirstFirst ... 1385 1885 2285 2335 2375 2383 2384 2385 2386 2387 2395 2435 2485 2885 ... LastLast
Results 35,761 to 35,775 of 45330
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Club Q Q107-Loyalty Club (Southern ON Only)

  1. #35761
    6ffighter9 6ffightr9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    6,338
    Likes Received
    194
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    Quote Originally Posted by Summer365 View Post
    That's the key word "good"! A "good" set of all season radials will out-perform a mediocre priced set of snow tires, no matter what the condition of the road unless of course you are up to your door handles in snow with an icy base, in which case, nothing will work except perhaps a set of chains.

    Another thing to remember is there is a differance btween snow tires and winter tires. Plus nowadays it is difficult to get a mediocre set of winter tires because they are regulated and graded. Mind you you can go and buy a cheap set of winter tires, they'll be old stock, then you get what you pay for, but they would still be better then all seasons. (by the way , I have worked in the tire industry and not to long ago.)
    Last edited by 6ffightr9; Tue, Mar 16th, 2010 at 10:20 PM.

  2. #35762
    Smart Canuck FlyGuy123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Guelph
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,348
    Likes Received
    56
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    Quote Originally Posted by Summer365 View Post
    There are several majors point often missed in the Winter Tire vs All-Season Radial debate:

    1. Where does the driver live and drive?

    2. The difference between Summer Radials and All-Season Radials?

    3. The actual condition of the tires?

    Here are some facts:

    1. If a driver resides and drives in a very light snow fall area, such as the GTA, snow tires are not necessary. In fact, all-season radials will far outperform snow tires in the GTA under all road conditions.

    2. Unlike summer radials, which are designed primary for dry/wet non-icy/non snow covered roads, all-season radials incorporate many of the same features of a snow tire, while keeping the characteristics of control and performance that only a radial tire can provide.

    3. Once a tire gets older, much of its "traction" features disappear along with the thread. This is true for both radials and snow tires alike. But the fact is, a 2-3 year old radial, depending on mileage, will far out-perform any 2-3 years old snow-tire because snow tires are simply not designed to last very long in non-snow road conditions. In fact, driving on snow tires in the GTA for just 3 months of the year, where 90%+ of our driving will be on dry or wet pavement will wear out a snow tire 3-4 times faster than we would wear out an equivalent quality/priced all-season radial tire.

    So yes, if you plan on doing a lot of driving outside the GTA where you will be driving through heavy snow for a lot of the time, by all means consider snow tires. They will pull you through the heavy snow better. But if your driving is predominantly in the GTA, put the money you would spend on snow tires into a good set of all-seasons radials. The benefits of the all-seasons will far outweigh any rare benefits realized from a set of snow tires.
    Please leave plenty of space between us (like two football fields) if you're ever following me. The guy who slid through the stop sign on all seasons thought the same thing until I hit him (in the city of Mississauga on a thin coating of snow).
    A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
    Never beam down in a red shirt!
    The reason the Captain gets the girl IS because he's the Captain.

  3. #35763
    Smart Canuck michelem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    oshawa,ont
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,910
    Likes Received
    104
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    Good evening Qbees!!
    Had a great day and a nice dinner with my boys
    Wow 21 years gone
    Loved the pics of Shaman and EV on their road trip ! Looks like they are having a blast!
    Have a great night everyone and thanks again SillyLoocie your a doll !

  4. #35764
    Smart Canuck BlazingDriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Barrie, ON
    Posts
    1,446
    Likes Received
    1484
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)




    Could someone please tell me what a "rep" is??

    If I could only figure out the dynamics of this group.....
    I'm so confused.....


  5. #35765
    Smart Canuck michelem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    oshawa,ont
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,910
    Likes Received
    104
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    Snow tires for me thanks
    Travelling around is something I do but if I lived in the big city I would be fine with a good set of all season's

  6. #35766
    Smart Canuck michelem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    oshawa,ont
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,910
    Likes Received
    104
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingDriver View Post
    Could someone please tell me what a "rep" is??

    If I could only figure out the dynamics of this group.....
    I'm so confused.....


    A rep is really a hello or if someone posted something interesting u can give them a rep of appreciation,you can rep for just being friendly,
    to me its like a pat on the back really

  7. #35767
    Smart Canuck FlyGuy123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Guelph
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,348
    Likes Received
    56
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    Quote Originally Posted by IMac View Post
    OK - This has been really interesting and everyone has their thoughts on what type of tires are needed, and most of them are valid. (seeing how you can always find evidence to prove your point.)
    I do want to point out however that: Are you really willing to bet the lives of yourself, your loved ones and anyone else on the road that the tires and the condition they are in is the best for the situation "ALL THE TIME, every time"? I'm not talking 360 times out of 365, because it's those 5 times that'll do you in!
    If your answer is yes, then sleep well.
    If not, then please spend a couple of dollars to get the best you believe in!!

    Please use caution and smarts while on the roads, you are not the only one using them!!!!!
    Great point IMac. I would add that winter accidents are also caused by poor driving habits, many of which can't be covered by any type of tire (or should I say tyre for Shaman and EV? ). But seeing people out of control on a 1/4 inch of snow at low speeds on city streets is all the proof I need that my winters are the way to go. Especially when a tire industry guy I met on the job told me that all seasons are good for only one winter.
    Last edited by FlyGuy123; Wed, Feb 10th, 2010 at 09:09 PM.
    A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
    Never beam down in a red shirt!
    The reason the Captain gets the girl IS because he's the Captain.

  8. #35768
    6ffighter9 6ffightr9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    6,338
    Likes Received
    194
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    Quote Originally Posted by Summer365 View Post
    No it should NOT be made mandatory for drivers in the GTA to have snow tires on their vehicles. For typical GTA road conditions (360+ days a year), good all-season radial tires are far superior to virtually any snow tires, in virtually all situations.
    If that's the case then GTA drivers that do not have winter tires should be taxed more for spinning the hell out of their tires and wearing the road down and have a special sticker on their plate which means they are not allowed to leave the GTA boundaries of Scarborough, Mississauga and hwy #7 (the lake is a gimme) and have 5% added to their insurance.

  9. #35769
    Smart Canuck BlazingDriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Barrie, ON
    Posts
    1,446
    Likes Received
    1484
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by michelem View Post
    A rep is really a hello or if someone posted something interesting u can give them a rep of appreciation,you can rep for just being friendly,
    to me its like a pat on the back really
    Thanks!

  10. #35770
    Evelyn ecat444's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beaches, Toronto
    Posts
    13,357
    Likes Received
    57958
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    Evening Everyone:

    Haven't been able to get on today. Went to Scotiabank theatre for free showing of The Hangover but unfortunately it was full. This was a free showing Scene was putting on for 7 p.m. I went to get my tickets at 2 p.m. (thinking I was real early), but they told me they were sold out at noon! (they opened the box office at 11:30 a.m) Oh well, I did see it free when it came out last year.

    9:15 W.W. text



  11. #35771
    Smart Canuck michelem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    oshawa,ont
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,910
    Likes Received
    104
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    9:15pm winning word my Q107 rocker friends is:


    TEXT

  12. #35772
    Canadian Guru Lee03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    11,693
    Likes Received
    68217
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    9:15pm winning word: text

  13. #35773
    Crazy Camper IMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    309
    Likes Received
    0
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    No matter what you believe:
    The price of a "GOOD" set of tires = a few hundred bucks
    The price of your loved ones = PRICELESS!

    Get some good rubber on the roads!!!! (no matter where you live or where you drive)
    Last edited by IMac; Wed, Feb 10th, 2010 at 09:29 PM.
    How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you were?

  14. #35774
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    394
    Likes Received
    0
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Quote Originally Posted by IMac View Post
    OK - This has been really interesting and everyone has their thoughts on what type of tires are needed, and most of them are valid. (seeing how you can always find evidence to prove your point.)
    I do want to point out however that: Are you really willing to bet the lives of yourself, your loved ones and anyone else on the road that the tires and the condition they are in is the best for the situation "ALL THE TIME, every time"? I'm not talking 360 times out of 365, because it's those 5 times that'll do you in!
    If your answer is yes, then sleep well.
    If not, then please spend a couple of dollars to get the best you believe in!!

    Please use caution and smarts while on the roads, you are not the only one using them!!!!!
    While I will agree that for perhaps as many as 5 days per year out of 365 in the GTA, snow tires may be a slightly safer bet, the fact is that for the other 360 days, good all-season radials will by far be the safer bet. And that I would be more than willing to stake my life on. I can quite easily stay off the roads for those 5 days where conditions are really not safe for driving. The fact is that speed, carelessness, not paying attention to the road, drunk driving and poorly maintained cars (including having older than acceptable tires on the vehicle) are the causes of 99.9999%+ of accidents, not the actual "type" of tires on the vehicle.

  15. #35775
    6ffighter9 6ffightr9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    6,338
    Likes Received
    194
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    So yes, if you plan on doing a lot of driving outside the GTA where you will be driving through heavy snow for a lot of the time, by all means consider snow tires. They will pull you through the heavy snow better. But if your driving is predominantly in the GTA, put the money you would spend on snow tires into a good set of all-seasons radials. The benefits of the all-seasons will far outweigh any rare benefits realized from a set of snow tires.

    Funny how all your opinions are a matter of fact with no actual proof or statistics to back them. All seasons do not have any characteristics of winter tires and all seasons wear out far faster than winters. Winter tires are designed so that there traction barely diminishes until they are to be replaced. I live in the GTA and my snows last me between 4-8 years depending which vehicle I'm using. As a matter of fact only twice have I ever had to buy a second set of all seasons for any vehicle I have ever owned. One was a used vehicle the other was my first new car 87 Grand Am which did not have snows the first wintered owned so they prematuerly wore down and had to be replaced the 4th year. I drive between 30-40,000 kms a year. The only time I would not recommend winter tires is if your like my mom. Never drives when the roads are slippery and only short distances 2-4 kms and she has traction control the number one savior of tires. She has a 97 Saturn with 80,000 kms. Her first set of tires had to be replaced at 70,000 kms due to aging not because the tires were worn.
    Last edited by 6ffightr9; Tue, Mar 16th, 2010 at 10:35 PM. Reason: spelling error

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •