User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Would you reveal your Facebook password for a job?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Mr Penguin is the same.He says he was enough distractions within his life without adding another.

for myself I have a FB account in my name for family and friends, one in my name for all my different forum friends and one not in my name for coupons and stuff .

If I had to have one for an interview* I'd make another dummy acct.

* the link in the OP was about an interviewer asking for the access.

eek.how do you keep so many? i have just one and that's enough

~just your average nerd~

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

nope, but I cringe at the poor guy/gal who has been unemployed for sooo long and desperate for any job that they would divulge that info just to be considered for the interview. What a world eh?

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

Not like you can't change your password afterwards.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I wouldn't ever reveal my password for facebook. There are many personal things I keep and wouldn't like to share.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Sure, they can have the password to the facebook account I use to sign up for coupons. But my real account? No.
    What kind of requirement is that anyway? lol
    I'd totally ask the interviewer what my facebook account had to do with the job I was applying for and if he was joking.
    Does he want my e-mail password too? The one to my house alarm system? Maybe a spare set of house and car keys???!!!
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

if they did ask me I would say No and by law you have no right asking me for it, or to see it. What I do on my personal time is not any of your business

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

Sure, and while I'm there I'll log into my bank so they can have a look-see there to.

Whatever happened to keeping personal and business life separate? There is a line and this is crossing it.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I would never give a password to any of my accounts to anyone. Nothing to hide either as I only have an account for freebies and such, but still. I truly think that this is somewhat of an invasion of privacy and is not warranted. Do a crimal background check and if anything from the past has resulted in a criminal charge, it will show. I think that these employeers are getting a bit carried away. It's one thing to expect a certain behaviour at work, but to try and control someones personal life is getting a bit extreme.

I realize that we are expected to uphold certain standards for our chosen profession, but to invade our personal space is totally something different. If you hire someone and they have this huge wild party side to them, I'm sure you will notice something within the 3 month probation period, and if you are not happy with them, let them go.

Of coarse this is just my opinion. If you have something you want to hide, and you are an intelligent person, you sure wouldn't be posting it on facebook. (Wait, let me take that back) LOL
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I'm pretty careful about what I share and with whom. I don't think that I would be willing to give a password to any of my accounts to an employer, or reveal my username on any sites I frequent. I don't have anything to hide (I am pretty honest and straightforward online and in real life), but it makes my skin crawl.....

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    nope, but I cringe at the poor guy/gal who has been unemployed for sooo long and desperate for any job that they would divulge that info just to be considered for the interview. What a world eh?
    Too true. Or the teens/young adults just trying to get into the workforce for the first time who don't know their rights vis-a-vis employers and potential employers. I think that group would be very, very vulnerable in this situation.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

It's quite simply an invasion of privacy and no business has a right to ask for someone's password. Period. Businesses didn't need them before, they don't need them now. So no, I would absolutely not provide them with my password, even though I have nothing to hide. It means they'll have access to my friends' pages, posts, etc, and it could reflect badly on me.

However....I have no idea what my password is, since I don't use it, took all photos, information off of it, and opened another one just for coupons, which I find too much trouble to use, anyway.

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

...and if it was just a tactic to see if your are willing to give a password to a "stranger"? Not to go on your privacy but to see what your are able to give? A way to see your personnality...

Don't fight me, I just try to understand why they would ask for a password...
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 01:11 PM.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    All in all I would feel it was a cheap mean little company that would bully you into handing over a facebook password.

the really sad part of the story is that it seems as if he was a bylaw officer who was applying for a job as a police officer. not a dinky job

it was in Peel region, which is where i am, totally pathetic!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 01:11 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information