User Tag List

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

My DD is 10 months old and we've just completed the transition from formula to whole milk (as directed by a doctor) but I'm just wondering how much your LOs drank when they went on to whole milk? Every bottle she gets is 9 ounces. Some days she takes 3 bottles, but most days she takes 4. She doesn't wake up through the night. She also eats breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast is usually either the baby cereal and some fruit or toast with peanut butter, etc. Lunch is usually something like a yogurt, fruit, etc. Dinner is usually just whatever we eat but if it's too spicy she will have a Baby Gourmet pack as well as half a pack of the Baby Gourmet dessert. So she eats a lot, but is 27-36 ounces of milk per day too much? I didn't have any concerns at all but was just talking to a friend whose baby of the same age only takes 8-12 ounces of milk (he's also on whole milk) per day so now I'm wondering!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

My DS is 16 months old and we started him on milk last month according to the doctor. As per his doctor, we only give him max 15 ounces per day. The rest of the time we give him water or watered down juice.

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

Everybody on here is going to give you a different answer. lol.

As my DR said, breastmilk/formula is supposed to make up the majority of his diet until he is a year old. Some babies drink up to 32oz (even more). My son is a year old and drinks 4x 5oz bottles a day. He has water with meals, and I don't give him juice.

My DR had advised that with the transition to whole milk you don't want to feed more than 16 - 24oz in a 24 hour period, because although it is good for the baby it will ruin their appetite for foods that are more nutritious than milk. Giving them more than that recommended amount can lead to iron defeciency anemia.
    Last edited by shmeelady; Sun, Mar 25th, 2012 at 06:29 PM.

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

Thanks! We're going to the doctor tomorrow anyway so I think I will ask her about it then. She's never mentioned anything about amounts so we'll see what she says!

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

Every Dr. is going to give every mom different advice. It's confusing as heck! Mine says no milk but breast milk until after he's a year old. He gets the breast at 5, breakfast at 8 (usually some oatmeal with fresh fruit, yogurt and water), snack at 10 (cheerios/fresh fruit/breast milk), nap, lunch at 1 (cereal, homemade baby mush, watered down juice, yogurt or fresh fruit), snack at 3 (cheerios/fresh fruit/breast milk), nap, supper at 6 (cereal, homemade baby mush, watered down juice, yogurt or fresh fruit), snack at 8 (cheerios, mum mum, cookie, etc., breast milk) then bed at 9.

We originally gave him a bottle of watered down juice and let him drink when he wanted, but he kept just sitting there chugging the whole bottle, so now we keep it away from him.

The one thing my Dr. is very clear on is to feed on demand. He's not going to eat or drink if he doesn't want to. As long as he isn't gaining or losing a lot of weight, you are probably fine. It also depends on the baby. Mine is very active and never sits still so he actually lost a couple of ounces between his 8th and 9th month checkups, even though he is eating/drinking more. I was really worried about it, but the Dr. was actually happy about it.

You just have to do what feels right for your family. Let your LO guide you. She will let you know if she wants more. (In my son's case, that means climbing up onto the couch to grab my Ziploc baggie of Cheerios and scatter them all over the place. LOL.)

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ashokia View Post
    Every Dr. is going to give every mom different advice. It's confusing as heck! Mine says no milk but breast milk until after he's a year old. He gets the breast at 5, breakfast at 8 (usually some oatmeal with fresh fruit, yogurt and water), snack at 10 (cheerios/fresh fruit/breast milk), nap, lunch at 1 (cereal, homemade baby mush, watered down juice, yogurt or fresh fruit), snack at 3 (cheerios/fresh fruit/breast milk), nap, supper at 6 (cereal, homemade baby mush, watered down juice, yogurt or fresh fruit), snack at 8 (cheerios, mum mum, cookie, etc., breast milk) then bed at 9.

We originally gave him a bottle of watered down juice and let him drink when he wanted, but he kept just sitting there chugging the whole bottle, so now we keep it away from him.

The one thing my Dr. is very clear on is to feed on demand. He's not going to eat or drink if he doesn't want to. As long as he isn't gaining or losing a lot of weight, you are probably fine. It also depends on the baby. Mine is very active and never sits still so he actually lost a couple of ounces between his 8th and 9th month checkups, even though he is eating/drinking more. I was really worried about it, but the Dr. was actually happy about it.

You just have to do what feels right for your family. Let your LO guide you. She will let you know if she wants more. (In my son's case, that means climbing up onto the couch to grab my Ziploc baggie of Cheerios and scatter them all over the place. LOL.)
    SO true. It really is confusing how one doctor will say that something is perfectly fine while at the same time another doctor is saying the exact same thing is a huge no-no.

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

Very confusing. I was seeing a doctor in Saskatoon who insisted on giving DS juice at 4months. I argued and argued with her on it, her response was "I've been a pediatrician for 14 years now, I've recommended it to every patient I've had". Well I called my family DR, who was my moms pediatrician, he delivered me when I was a baby and he is DS's DR as well. He was dumbfounded by what she was trying to push on me. Every DR has their own opinions. lol.

I have given DS juice twice. Personally I don't give it to him because when I was a child my mother gave me apple juice in my bottle a lot, my front teeth rotted out they silver capped both cuspids and the 4 other ones were surgically removed when I was 2. I didn't have front teeth until I was about 10years old when my adult ones came in.

Quote Originally Posted by ashl3y View Post
    SO true. It really is confusing how one doctor will say that something is perfectly fine while at the same time another doctor is saying the exact same thing is a huge no-no.
    Last edited by shmeelady; Mon, Mar 26th, 2012 at 12:05 PM.

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by shmeelady View Post
    Very confusing. I was seeing a doctor in Saskatoon who insisted on giving DS juice at 4months. I argued and argued with her on it, her response was "I've been a pediatrician for 14 years now, I've recommended it to every patient I've had". Well I called my family DR, who was my moms pediatrician, he delivered me when I was a baby and he is DS's DR as well. He was dumbfounded by what she was trying to push on me. Every DR has their own opinions. lol.

I have given DS juice twice. Personally I don't give it to him because when I was a child my mother gave me apple juice in my bottle a lot, my front teeth rotted out they silver capped both cuspids and the 4 other ones were surgically removed when I was 2. I didn't have front teeth until I was about 10years old when my adult ones came in.
    I agree. My daughter doesn't get juice. She has gotten it twice when she was four months old, but that was only because she was having surgery that day and they told us that she NEEDED some juice to get the sugars in her, so we did it then and only then. I figure they can't miss what they don't have, right?

As for the milk, my doctor told me there isn't an amount in ounces that is too much, but that if she gets constipated, it's too much.

Thread Information