User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gameprogirl

Thread: Decision on Canada's sex-trade laws coming Monday

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i can hardly figure out/or get on sc lately, so hoping i've done this alright.
    not even trying to post a poll for this topic

A ruling that could effectively end prostitution-related prosecutions in Canada comes down Monday as Ontario's top court weighs whether current laws are constitutional.
    Essentially, the Appeal Court will decide whether three laws put sex-trade workers in danger by banning brothels, soliciting, and living off the avails of the sex trade.

"It's a matter of life and death," said Valerie Scott, one of three women involved in the case.
    "In what other legal occupation is a worker not permitted by law to take any security measures?"

from the cbc, (of course)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...rade-laws.html

this is a stop history (and herstory - couldn't resist now could i?) sort of case.
    and this occuption is how a lot of people support themselves and their families in this and
    so many other countries.
    whilst i have my personal opinion - i could never judge people who do this (and hence i've
    stated my opinion) - guessing i think any job i could not think of myself doing,,,
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    if you have some spare time

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I was just reading on this this morning. I'm quite interested in the case. I'm on the side of the workers on this one; I've researched the issue in school (that's what you end up doing when you do a BA, MA and PhD in criminology...), but more importantly, I live in a working-class neighbourhood where there are a lot of sex trade workers on the streets. (Heck, just google Vanier and I'm sure you'll find out all the "unseemly" things that sometimes go on in my 'hood!) While I understand and agree with the academic arguments against prohibiting the sex trade, my views are based on the sex workers on the streets who I see almost every day, say hello to, chat with on occasion, and who are just part of life in Vanier. A lot of them are moms, a lot of them have addictions issues, and all of them are just trying to get by and survive as best they can. I've never worked in the sex trade myself, but I nevertheless think, "there but for the grace of God go I." You can call them hookers, prostitutes, sex workers or whatever, but they're all just people who could sure use a safer work environment without police harassment and with fewer worries for their own safety.

Just my two cents; others are free to agree or disagree.

I GOT GAME, DO YOU? gameprogirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I don't have a problem with them making these workers more safe but they need to regulate this. Get these women educated as well. These women don't want to live like this and need help to gain some self worth.
    walkonby likes this.
    Join Ebates for cashback on all purchases!
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=Hm3B6tvDY78%3D

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I have no problem with this, it's about time really. We should keep our citizens safe before passing judgement because it's not a 'comfortable subject'. I remember in university discussing this in a moral-ethical politics class and everyone pretty much agreed it should be made safer, because if it's going to happen, it's going to happen, clearly there's a market...
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

It's about time those women are provided with safe environments, with health care for themselves and their johns (who likely have no regard for the health safety of their own partners), and an opportunity to continue to persue their education, should they choose.
    Leaving them in the streets does nothing but allow their continued abuse at the hands of pimps and johns. What's moral about that?! Nothing.

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Judgment is in and the verdict is banning brothels is unconstitutional. Interesting.
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Thread Information