User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Planning a crossboarder shopping trip for saturday! Help me Smart Canucks!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am going on a spring shopping trip on Saturday and am looking to get some good crossboarder deals and possibly some printable coupons I can use over there. We are going to meijers, kohls, burlington and one of the malls, all in michigan. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make our american shopping experience a success, please post your tips!!!!
    This thread is currently associated with: Spring Shoes

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't know if you are getting groceries but I have a list in my cupboard of thing sI only buy in the States--waaaaaay cheaper. Grated cheese(costco is 12.50 for 2.5 lbs ALREADY GRATED), cream cheese-walmart brand, evap milk-walmart brand, sweetened condensed milk-walmart brand, parmesan cheese(walmart brand). These things are seriously so much cheaper! As far as clothes, if there is a Nordstom's, they have some amazing clearance sales and they always seem to be on when we go. Have fun and good luck!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

We went to New York State a few weeks ago and "deals" were sucky. We found Tops was cheaper than Walmart but I don't think they are in Michigan. Check smartsource.com, redplum.com, couponmom.com for printables if you are buying groceries, but their values are really low. I remember some coupons that were "save 30 cents," "buy 3 save $1" but also ridiculous ones like "buy 8 frozen dinners, save $1."

Also, this would be the time to look for U.S. only Facebook promos.

If I were you I'd go to Meijer rather than Walmart or Target or one of those. I used to love that store (the coupons they give you at the checkout are top notch) and Walmart has pretty much the same stuff as in Canada. Target is pretty much Zellers so don't waste your time unless you are looking for Jason Wu collection leftovers (there were some purses on clearance at the one I went to).

When it comes to clothing, try looking in the clearance sections at the department stores and cheap clothing stores. I got a nice sweater and some tanktops at Papaya for $25. Lord and Taylor had a better clearance selection than Macy's did but they were still expensive. Charlotte Russe is always a treat for me. Similar to Forever 21. I always found the clearance section at Nordstrom in Michigan to be too expensive. 50% off a $400 item is still too much for me

I think the prices have equalized on both sides of the border with clothing and food to be in line with the on par dollar. We found that groceries were not cheaper in the U.S. Within 50 cents, almost everything I looked at was the same regular price, and I could get it on sale here using a coupon for a lot cheaper. Go there and look for weird flavours we don't get in Canada, but don't look to be saving money.

If you go to Tim's there, they also have Roll up the Rim, but I don't think you can use it in Canada (has no French in the rollup).

If you do want to buy dairy, be aware that U.S. milk contains hormones that are banned in Canada and you would have trouble bringing organics over the border if you get searched
    Last edited by torontogal12; Tue, Mar 27th, 2012 at 12:53 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes we are definately planning on getting some groceries ... it would be nice to have some coupons!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

haha i Have never even seen a tim hortons in michigan!! At least not in our area... were from a small town outside Windsor Ontario so we go into areas like Detroit and Flint etc

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

Kohls always has coupons online. I think you have to sign up for their mailing list to get your first coupon which is probably 50% your entire purchase. Check their site.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yeah they wont let me sign up because I'm not american

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I went to a Tim Hortons in Buffaol and they didn't know what "double double" ment...and you call yourself Tim Hortons LOL. If i see any deals from the states online I will let you know.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Last edited by saveadollardiva; Tue, Mar 27th, 2012 at 02:18 PM.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Signing up for the email newsletters will give you coupons at Burlington Coat Factory and Kohl's. On top of that, find out what stores you will be going to and just google the store and the word coupon. There are so many places that have printable coupons. Rue 21 is also has 20% off your entire purchase coupons online. Although their clothes are too trendy/tacky for me, they do have some nice cheap colognes, and with 20% off, I got two bottles for less than $20. I also was able to find a nice pair of guess sunglasses at Burlington Coat factory for $15, and had a 20% off one item and used it on those. That was a deal.

I've found that American retailers offer more deals than our Canadian ones. JC Penny normally has in store deals. Also, you can sign up for the store credit card and save even more. Check online to see specials for the stores before you leave as well.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I always have luck at Macy's. I signed up for the Macy's card (you get a one time 10 or 15% off), but the best part is they mail you additional discounts. They are most often save $20 when you spend $50 (40%off) or 20% off. And these work on clearance items!

Also check online for coupons at macys.com (change to the US website) before you go. They sometimes have printable coupons... Especially on Saturdays.

I usually go shopping in Port Huron, and they have a Younkers. They usually have coupons online (check their website), and they have some good clearances/ sales.

If you go to Krogers, get one of their cards... You can save a lot of money with one! I also sometimes go to Aldi's.

Good luck shopping!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Some of the stores may give you a "tourist" discount. It varies from place to place though. I've found that big department stores will do 10% off, while the malls will give you a coupon book at customer service. Those coupon books can be pretty awesome. I remember one having 10% off at the food court, including Subway and McDonalds.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We really enjoy purchasing goods cheaper in grocery stores there; on our way back from our trip south over the Christmas break, we picked up a few tubs of butter and assorted goods from the grocery store to bring back home. The butter brand is Land of Lakes, which has an incredible taste and numerous flavours if you can believe it! (never seen flavoured butters here, such as cinnamon?!) Plus the butter is much cheaper there, as we were able to get a container nearly double the size of the ones here at home, for half the price!

Hope you have an amazing shopping trip, wish I was going to the states too!
    Total Savings: $652.98
    *Since the end of June*

Earn free money.....who doesn't love that?
    http://superpoints.com/wrpgs/9iyb7s

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

to add to Torontogal12's post - if you say you are from out of state they will definately give you a discount - Macy's in Buffalo all you need to show is ID and boom % off (i can't remember if its 10 or 15%). Just sign up for the email on any of the US stores you want to visit - Put in the zipcode of a hotel you would be staying at - it should be fine! Also google up couponing sites for the US - many have printable coupons for items you might use everyday Hope that helps!
    http://frugalkris.blogspot.ca
    Check it out for my couponing, freebies and money saving experiences!
    Twitter @FrugalKris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information