User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: Thrift Store/Second Hand Brags!

Trading Score
    30 (97%)

I love this thread, I used to hate SA, GW, and VV, thought it was gross to wear someone else's clothes, but then I grew up and realized the value of a dollar and love those stores, I buy about 99% of my house hold items from thrift stores or garage sales, Oh my garage sales are my favourite
    mommymonika likes this.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

How about Craigslist deals!?!? I love Craigslist. I've been wanting certain pieces of Pier 1 bedroom furniture for a long time, and I refuse to pay their prices, so I keep checking Craigslist and eventually I've found some pieces. I bought the headboard and tall lingerie chest for about 1/4 what they sell it for in the store. Both in excellent condition. It just takes patience!
    I also love eBay!! I've bought tons of things like Jane Iredale makeup (new) for a fraction of the price.
    mommymonika likes this.

Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I love Kijiji even better than Craigslist!! Plus my work has a buy and sell for employees that has great stuff on it!!

Quote Originally Posted by redhdlois View Post
    How about Craigslist deals!?!? I love Craigslist. I've been wanting certain pieces of Pier 1 bedroom furniture for a long time, and I refuse to pay their prices, so I keep checking Craigslist and eventually I've found some pieces. I bought the headboard and tall lingerie chest for about 1/4 what they sell it for in the store. Both in excellent condition. It just takes patience!
    I also love eBay!! I've bought tons of things like Jane Iredale makeup (new) for a fraction of the price.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I've only ever been to Value Village for second hand items but after reading this I'll be sure to hit up the local (45 minutes away for both VV and SA) Salvation Army too. I don't find the prices at VV are too bad depending on what you're buying. I was there last week and picked up a pair of Brody jeans for $8.99 and two tops, brand new, tags still attached for $3.99 a piece. It is worth checking the sales at other stores though........I buy a ton of stuff from Stitches and a few times a year they have AWESOME sales on their clothes where you can buy shirts for $3 each.....and many other things dirt cheap as well. For those shopping at VV you can also sign up for the Super Savers Club where they send emails about their promotions and if you print out your confirmation page and bring it in to receive your card within 14 days you'll get 25% off your purchase.

When I was a teenager I would have never been caught dead in a second hand store.....but now I absolutely love them!! Especially for jeans.....although I'm 5'7 so it usually takes some work to find ones that are long enough.....but I can say that of regular retail stores too.....and I refuse to pay what they want for a pair of jeans at most places these days! I saw a pair in a local store the other weekend for $200!!!! I almost dropped over dead.......even if I had the money I can't imagine paying that much just to have a specific label on my clothes!
    mommymonika likes this.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ami1984 View Post
    I love this thread, I used to hate SA, GW, and VV, thought it was gross to wear someone else's clothes, but then I grew up and realized the value of a dollar and love those stores, I buy about 99% of my house hold items from thrift stores or garage sales, Oh my garage sales are my favourite
    I used to get teased in high school for wearing second hand...though I was proud of my finds LOL! I love the thrill of the hunt and it pays off when you can get things that look brand new for a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by redhdlois View Post
    Anything that is a great deal works! I ebay a ton too. I have gotten all of my vintage Coach bags off ebay or etsy for around $20 each

Quote Originally Posted by Speckled28 View Post
    I've only ever been to Value Village for second hand items but after reading this I'll be sure to hit up the local (45 minutes away for both VV and SA) Salvation Army too. I don't find the prices at VV are too bad depending on what you're buying. I was there last week and picked up a pair of Brody jeans for $8.99 and two tops, brand new, tags still attached for $3.99 a piece. It is worth checking the sales at other stores though........I buy a ton of stuff from Stitches and a few times a year they have AWESOME sales on their clothes where you can buy shirts for $3 each.....and many other things dirt cheap as well. For those shopping at VV you can also sign up for the Super Savers Club where they send emails about their promotions and if you print out your confirmation page and bring it in to receive your card within 14 days you'll get 25% off your purchase.

When I was a teenager I would have never been caught dead in a second hand store.....but now I absolutely love them!! Especially for jeans.....although I'm 5'7 so it usually takes some work to find ones that are long enough.....but I can say that of regular retail stores too.....and I refuse to pay what they want for a pair of jeans at most places these days! I saw a pair in a local store the other weekend for $200!!!! I almost dropped over dead.......even if I had the money I can't imagine paying that much just to have a specific label on my clothes!
    I'm 5'8 and the only place I have successfully found jeans long enough was american eagle because I can buy the tall size. Jeans are the only thing I haven't successfully thrifted yet because most just aren't long enough! I did buy my jeans when they had a huge sale though and got two pair for $40. I don't wear jeans that often since I prefer to wear tights or skirts, or my vintage slacks because they are sooooo comfy. Jeans feel uncomfortable on me.
    Sally888 likes this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I have to mention too that my new years resolution was to not buy any new clothing this year. It was in partnership with something to do with fashion week, at least that is how I think they got my private email! I had pledged that I would purchase all clothing second hand except for undergarments!

I have only broke the ban once so far this year because I was invited to the Marni for H&M pre-launch VIP party. I just had to buy a t-shirt LOL! I feel like it will be much easier to thrift once I move too because my friends have been helping me out with good places in the area and there are so many. I think cities have the advantage with thrift stores because there are more people and more stuff! Also faster rotation of things. When I go to thrift stores here some things are still there weeks later.

Trading Score
    90 (100%)

I go to my SA at least once a week and about 90% of my wardrobe is second hand, the best things I've found are:

Coach wallet 1.99
    True religion jeans 7.99
    3 pairs of citizen on humanity jeans 3.99-7.99
    7 Juicy couture sweaters/cardigans 1.99-6.99
    Diesel jeans for the bf 5.99
    4 lululemon tanks 1.99 each

these are just in the past few months!
    AmberLab and krysta lynne like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well, I guess Alberta doesn't rate too high on the donations side. Coach, Gucci, etc. Unheard of.

Best I've ever done is Royal Albert two tier cakestand for $9.99.

Anisa: I collect old EAST German china. It's either feast or famine with it.
    anisa likes this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pippinelkhound View Post
    Well, I guess Alberta doesn't rate too high on the donations side. Coach, Gucci, etc. Unheard of.

Best I've ever done is Royal Albert two tier cakestand for $9.99.

Anisa: I collect old EAST German china. It's either feast or famine with it.
    I always feel that way about where I live too...I always find the good stuff in cities that actually have those brand name stores close.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Anyone find anything good lately?? I'm going this weekend hopefully. I need to start stock piling dishes and stuff for when I move (which if things go well will be May after I finish exams). I'm not willing to spend a ton of money on things I eat off of LOL! I'm itching to go to the thrift store near my sisters place again...Two more weeks before I can go there again.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    Anyone find anything good lately?? I'm going this weekend hopefully. I need to start stock piling dishes and stuff for when I move (which if things go well will be May after I finish exams). I'm not willing to spend a ton of money on things I eat off of LOL! I'm itching to go to the thrift store near my sisters place again...Two more weeks before I can go there again.
    Unfortunately I'm just flat broke right now so no more shopping for me.......though I'm looking forward to living vicariously through my fellow SmartCanuckers! lol Let us know if you find anything good roseofblack25!! I'll be lucky enough to have a slight advantage when I actually do move out because I lived away from home for college so I have quite a few things already......and I don't let my parents toss anything that I think I MIGHT be able to use sometime in the future! LOL

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Speckled28 View Post
    Unfortunately I'm just flat broke right now so no more shopping for me.......though I'm looking forward to living vicariously through my fellow SmartCanuckers! lol Let us know if you find anything good roseofblack25!! I'll be lucky enough to have a slight advantage when I actually do move out because I lived away from home for college so I have quite a few things already......and I don't let my parents toss anything that I think I MIGHT be able to use sometime in the future! LOL
    So far I have been living at home while doing school so I don't really have anything! I have a few things my grandmother gave me like an antique tea set and a ton of old china tea cups and saucers that sort of match. I think some of it might have been my great grandmothers even. I also have some tea cups from my aunt that were sitting in a garage for the last 7 or so years after she passed away. My uncle commented that everything was going to the dump in the spring so my sister and I claimed some of the stuff we could see.
    I picked up a plate second hand for a couple of dollars that I really loved, and a few weeks ago I picked up four soup bowls for 2.99 at value village that go with my mismatched set. Everything is old fashioned with roses though, so not sure my male roommate is going to appreciate my dishes haha! I like the sort of matches but doesn't match set that I have accumulated so far though. I just need to find some large plates and sandwich plates. Utensils I might buy new just to have a complete set and they aren't very expensive to begin with.
    I also have a rice cooker I won a few years ago. We have used it here twice but it's mine and will be coming with me! I don't think I really have anything else kitchen wise though.

I might just accumulate stuff slowly until I have what I need because I hear you on the being broke thing. It's easier to buy things slowly and pay a couple of dollars here and there until you have everything you need instead of paying it all out at once.
    Last edited by roseofblack25; Thu, Apr 5th, 2012 at 09:18 PM.

Never stop learning... Big Pink's Avatar
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Okay... here was my deal of the day. I have bit of a shoe problem.

I didn't notice until I got home that the tags were still on them, retail $299. They've never been worn and much cuter than the pic.
    It was an "expensive" purchase for me... $15.
    It never ceases to amaze me what new items you can buy "second hand" and the items are not even used.

Name:  todays_score.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  41.0 KB
    Speckled28, Glmr5 and mommymonika like this.
    “Give the world the best you have and you may get hurt. Give the world your best anyway.” – Mother Teresa

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

^wtg
    New mom October 2014!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pink View Post
    Okay... here was my deal of the day. I have bit of a shoe problem.

I didn't notice until I got home that the tags were still on them, retail $299. They've never been worn and much cuter than the pic.
    It was an "expensive" purchase for me... $15.
    It never ceases to amaze me what new items you can buy "second hand" and the items are not even used.

Name:  todays_score.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  41.0 KB
    Ohhh I love those!!! Awesome find!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information