User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: April 2012 Budget Challenge

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Updated my budget on the first post.
    I've been busy and getting lots done...keeping spending way down...only rent, water and photocopies so far.
    Lots of progress at home on yard-work, crafting, organizing, de-cluttering.
    Enjoyed reading everybody's updates...have a good week, friends!
    ( Valiant, the valley-ant )

putting the kettle on.. sweetproserpina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lekate View Post
    Good luck on the running program! I've been meaning to get into it, either that or get my bike out!
    And for the sugar-free week have you seen the No Junk Food challenge? http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/265422-...llenge-canada/, the only one I'd revise is the peanut butter one, only avoid one's with anything added, get an all natural 'just peanuts'. I'm pretty good since I honestly don't eat any of those on a daily basis, some chocolate(esp. dark) is good for you though! Also switching to drinking mostly water really helps with both the waist/health and your budget. Other than coffee I don't spend much on drinks, it's great
    Thanks! Dh and I are actually hoping to gain weight! (More muscles, better cardio). We eat pretty healthy already- no pop, no junk food really. I do like my carbs though! (I think I'd about disappear if I didn't eat 'em) I'm a 'real food' foodie (think Michael Pollan, etc) and make a lot of food from scratch- but I do rely on white sugar for baking, jam and jelly making etc., and I'd like to use other natural sweeteners instead. DH has problems with sugar and headaches, so we want to see if this 'sugar-free' week helps his noggin

We're totally stoked to get started biking/running- we just bought a used bike trailer for the DD at the thrift for 50$. It was a great deal, and regularly goes on Kijiji used for 400$+.. yay!
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.
    RLF: Goldfish!!, Butter, Astro Yogurt, Triscuit Thincrisps...

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

My April 2012 Budget:

Expenses:
    Rent (+ utilities): Live with Mommy, no rent!
    Phone: 20/35$ (Contract finishes this month, need to decided whether to stay or leave)
    Transit: 50/94$
    Prescription: 10/21$ (I now have benefits, so this one should disappear soon!)
    Food & Stockpile: 84.82/300$
    Eating Out/Entertainment: 176.04/150$
    Cats: 11.76/100$
    Other: 199.04/100$
    MC Debt: 100/230$
    Savings: 200/250$
    OSAP: /70$

Expected Income: 1450$
    Total Income: 881.53$ (so far! counted pennies and other change, and GST cheque)

Total April 2012 Spent:
    Total April 2012 Saved:

Coupons Used:
    Money Found:

SPEND Days to date: 0/31

NO SPEND Days to date: 0/31

Goals:
    - Continue writing for my blog (http://penniesandnarwhals.wordpress.com/)
    - Figure out what I'm doing with my life, I've been thinking of teaching English abroad, experience to live abroad and gain experiences in a different field than I currently work in
    - Actually stick to a budget

To-Do List:

- Let Petra (my cat) sit on me for her purrfest after work instead of pushing her off to 'do things'.
    - Go through all my books and determine which ones can go. I very rarely read books twice and feel as though I'm just 'hoarding' these books from others being able to read! I'll probably keep special ones like Harry Potter and the Dark Tower series'...
    - Pin quilt pieces together, decide whether I should retire punk shirts still in wearing rotation, if not leave blank spaces to sew them on at a later date

April 2012 Budget Balance & Update: ?

April Budget surplus allotted to Emergency Fund:
    I have two Savings accounts, 'short term' and 'long term'. Short term will be more of an Emergency Fund for me and for funds to be able to buy things without having to resort to credit (gifts, things that need to be replaced, etc).
    I've updated my budget up to my first payday (today)! I'm doing quite well, the only reason my Other is over is because I ordered contacts (ClearlyContacts is amazing!), I haven't quite figured out how to budget this one into my monthly payments since I only change them when I think of it (as in until they're uncomfortable).... But it's only a twice a year kind of thing.

My dad called me the other day about possibly moving to DC and finding work there, so I'm going to be looking into that. I'm terrified of their food system though, so hopefully I could figure something out if I do move there.

I think I also need to increase my budget for eating out, I do it 'socially' since I can't have people at my house...
    Last edited by lekate; Fri, Apr 13th, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetproserpina View Post
    Thanks! Dh and I are actually hoping to gain weight! (More muscles, better cardio). We eat pretty healthy already- no pop, no junk food really. I do like my carbs though! (I think I'd about disappear if I didn't eat 'em) I'm a 'real food' foodie (think Michael Pollan, etc) and make a lot of food from scratch- but I do rely on white sugar for baking, jam and jelly making etc., and I'd like to use other natural sweeteners instead. DH has problems with sugar and headaches, so we want to see if this 'sugar-free' week helps his noggin

We're totally stoked to get started biking/running- we just bought a used bike trailer for the DD at the thrift for 50$. It was a great deal, and regularly goes on Kijiji used for 400$+.. yay!
    Good carbs aren't bad for you! Our body's preferred energy source is from carbs (so veggie carbs and whole grains are super :D)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My dad called me the other day about possibly moving to DC and finding work there, so I'm going to be looking into that. I'm terrified of their food system though, so hopefully I could figure something out if I do move there.
    Wow wow. That would be a big change.

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

If you've got concerns about their food system, ask questions on this frugal-friendly, American website:

www.frugalvillage.com

(forums)

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Getting LOTS done; updates on my first post, page 1.
    Without home internet, I now have an early start on my day again, and am seeing much improvement on getting things done on little and big projects that used to sit there for want of time. I also have more time to read again, and am enjoying that too1

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I feel as though I got hit by a truck, I owe 900$ in taxes. *mental breakdown*

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

I feel your pain - I just did my taxes today and I owe over $500. Next year I need to figure out my income taxes early enough that I can make rrsp contributions to help reduce how much I owe.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

My spending has been out of control the last few days - my routin has been out of wack I have been picking up food.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Ouch!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiegirl2010 View Post
    I feel your pain - I just did my taxes today and I owe over $500. Next year I need to figure out my income taxes early enough that I can make rrsp contributions to help reduce how much I owe.
    An ouch for you too.
    You can contribute 18% of your taxes and if you do it every pay like I do then it isn't so painful at the year end.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I hate tax time - with us owning a farm and working my taxs are always high.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiegirl2010 View Post
    I'm just surprised since I made 10.55$ and 10.60 at both my PART TIME jobs, because no one hires FT nor pays a LIVING WAGE or at least something that KEEPS UP WITH INFLATION. I LOVE the fact that my bus pass is going up YET AGAIN, yet my wage hasn't INCREASED in the past 5 years. WTF.

I'm a GREAT contributor to the ECONOMY. NOT. I LOVE it when corporations have RECORD profits yet can't see fit to SHARE the wealth.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I'm just surprised since I made 10.55$ and 10.60 at both my PART TIME jobs, because no one hires FT nor pays a LIVING WAGE or at least something that KEEPS UP WITH INFLATION. I LOVE the fact that my bus pass is going up YET AGAIN, yet my wage hasn't INCREASED in the past 5 years. WTF.

I'm a GREAT contributor to the ECONOMY. NOT. I LOVE it when corporations have RECORD profits yet can't see fit to SHARE the wealth.
    sorry I'm upset.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information