User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jadzia

Thread: WARNING Air Miles Dream/Cash Ripoff

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by lecale; Sat, Aug 18th, 2012 at 11:07 PM.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

are we not able to redeem for gift cards from the dream balance?
    i just redeemed for a bunch of shell GC's
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    are we not able to redeem for gift cards from the dream balance?
    i just redeemed for a bunch of shell GC's

Eventually you will not be able to as they will be removing them as an award.

OP, I am pretty sure the FAQ's did state that they will go to where you have designated the AM's to go to at the time you have earned them.

AM's is far from being a ripoff.
    nadiabreckon and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

The page said several times when I changed to cash that any miles currently earned, awarded or not, would still go to my dream balance, which is why I waited several weeks until some were awarded and I earned enough for a $20GC before switching.

I have only had 4 go in since, the local stores here are pretty quick about awarding them despite the 60/120 day thing
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Aug 18th, 2012 at 11:07 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Actually, I appreciate the info, Lecale. I wasn't aware that they were discontinuing gift cards. I thought the instant cash thing was a rip off when it first came out so I didn't sign up for it. I wasn't aware that they had raised the price of gift cards at the same time. This is the second time in a couple of months that they've raised the price of them. I don't know of any other awards program that does that, especially not that frequently. I think I'm going to cancel my credit card as soon as my last payment goes through and stop actively collecting them. To me it's important to know that the value of an award point is going to be the same when I earn it as it will be a month or so later when I redeem it. Airmiles is getting ridiculous!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by abbasgirl View Post
    Actually, I appreciate the info, Lecale. I wasn't aware that they were discontinuing gift cards. I thought the instant cash thing was a rip off when it first came out so I didn't sign up for it. I wasn't aware that they had raised the price of gift cards at the same time. This is the second time in a couple of months that they've raised the price of them. I don't know of any other awards program that does that, especially not that frequently. I think I'm going to cancel my credit card as soon as my last payment goes through and stop actively collecting them. To me it's important to know that the value of an award point is going to be the same when I earn it as it will be a month or so later when I redeem it. Airmiles is getting ridiculous!
    If you don't pay an annual fee, I would just keep the credit card as is...outright canceling can affect your credit rating.

After many years, I was finally able to book a flight using my Airmiles; I was only able to get a one-way (had to pay for the return) not the best, but I have so many AM's to use up and I don't normally redeem for GC's or merchandise. This program is going down-hill, that's for sure.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    If you don't pay an annual fee, I would just keep the credit card as is...outright canceling can affect your credit rating.
    Actually this is only true under certain situations. If she has had the card, used it for some time (I assume for more than a couple of months as it sounds she has had it for years), then cancelling it will not have any (or a very minimal) effect on her credit score.
    Now if she applied for the card, never used it and then cancelled it right away after receiving it, then yes it will hurt your score.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 07:31 PM.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i didn't realize they are planning on discontinuing the gift cards.

i actually plan on using mine up for shell certificates, which won't take long to be honest (i don't have many points even after 15 yrs lol)

i didn't look at how many exact points i need to use them up that way, so i am hoping that if i have a few leftover they can help me by transferring them to cash.

trying to actually make these points programs useful can be a bit tiring sometimes
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I just started collecting a few months ago and have ordered two of the Shell $20 gas certificates. I will be ordering one every time I have enough miles so that I only lose a minimal amount of accumulated miles if they make more changes. I feel badly for those who have been saving for years and then had the program changed without notice.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I usually redeem my points for Sobeys gift cards, and they're not set up for AM cash. Hopefully they will be soon.
    Have you tried The Superpoints Network yet?
    http://superpoints.com/bonus/4b09xt
    Get 100 SuperPoints just for signing up using the above link!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for sharing.

Thread Information