Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Please Delete

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

Expired
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by KK7; Sun, Oct 21st, 2012 at 03:14 PM.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Oh Kim, I hear you. I had to call my sister in tears once and borrow money to pay the hydro or they were going to cut it off. They sent a letter saying I had like 3 days to pay it. I was waiting on some money to pay it with and it hadn't come in. The bill was every 2 months and it was outrageous for the same reason-air conditioning in the summer. It was the same time of year too. I figured they were being so aggressive (I was 1 freakin' bill behind) because it was quickly approaching the time of the year where they couldn't shut you off until spring.

You should look into equal billing. I have our propane on equal billing cause the winter bills were $600+ a month and I just couldn't budget for that! Hydro up here is ridiculous. It's like 25c a Kw/h. And it runs high in the winter cause you have lights on so much longer. But at least in the summer it's not too hot, and you really don't need any lights on! LOL

You should see if your area has any programs that help people in danger of being cut off. A found out about it after the fact for us.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Could you not go on Equal Monthly billing?

That way you know you will only have to pay the amount set every month? Some months you use more and some you use less but with equal billing it generally works evenly at the end of the 12 months billing period before they reassess your monthly amount. I pay $72.00 a month right now. Last year I paid $104 which ended up being way too much and I ended up with a credit at the end of the term therefore they decreased the monthly amount to $72. it's something to ask about and you'll never have to worry about having your electricity shut off as long as you pay the monthly amount.

Trading Score
    38 (100%)

I don't know if you are in Ontario or not. In On the hydro company is held to rules set by the ontrio energy bord, Try checking ontarioenergyboard.ca. You can have a 5 - 10 month payment plan. Most utilities will work with you as long as you call them to set something up. If you pay a portion of the bill and expect them to know you are in trouble and need longer they will probably shut you off.
    Some companies are very fast to act.

Always always contct the people you owe money to. Most companies would much rather make a plan with you and receive payment.
    Win Amazon Giftcards just by searching with Swagbucks! I've made over $700!!!

Ask me for more information on how

Tangerine Orange Key is 14221156S1

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

in my first year of marriage we had an appartment in a basement where the landlord managed to not pay his bills and hydro came and shut off power january 5th, Hydro can shut you off any time they want which is really bad.
    Artscow great free prints just sign up and they give you tons of free stuff.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I am a collector for a compnay which does it's own financing, and I have been absolutley broke and not been able to pay my bills on time.
    IF this happens again, call the hydro company and tell them the situation. If they have no clue what's going on and no phone number to contact you at, it looks like your intentions are to not pay. The company has no idea where you are or if you are planning on paying at all.
    When people stay in contact with my company we are always willing to work with them and help them out. When I was broke, I would call the bank that held our car loan all the time, "I can only pay half now, the rest in two weeks." They were always super nice and I never had any issues with them.
    Bottom line, make the call, send an email, whatever you have to do to contact the company and explain the situation to avoid problems in the future. Not saying that this will prevent them turning off your hydro, but at least you would be aware of the consquences ahead of time and how they work.
    2011 Wins: TLC "Say Yes to the Dress" Season 3 box set, Bissell Pro-Heat 2X Upright with a years worth of formula....

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

Last edited by KK7; Sun, Oct 21st, 2012 at 03:15 PM.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

sadly K.. Hydro and tax companies are all the same.. if they owe u good luck getting it..but if you owe them even $.01 OMG heaven forbid. i feel for ya. i hope you are able to work things out.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Sorry to hear that you went through that KK.

I totally disagree with the whole 'call them and they will work with you' line because I've been there, done that, and I can tell you it's a crock when it comes to utility companies.

When I was a single Mom, working a full time day job and an evening part time job, getting zero child support (there was a court order, but the system is a serious failure) it took everything I had to try & make ends meet. That included lying to my kids that I 'ate a big lunch' at work when they questioned why I didn't eat supper when I fed them - I lived on one pack of bagels (6 in the bag) and one pack of yogourt (6 pack) every week; that is literally all I ate for several months so my kids wouldn't do without and the bills got paid.
    When I did get behind in utilities and would call them, they were rude & condescending which included a rep at hydro telling me that I should do what was best for the kids, quit work & go on welfare and have them pay my bills directly - who tells that to a person half killing themselves trying to survive.

Utility companies don't care about the struggles that many people face, they only care about getting the money they are owed in as short a span of time as possible; they don't even care if there are children that will do without heat/lights/cooked food as they unilaterally decide that you are a failure as a parent for not having enough money.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I feel for you. Been there also. I don't know how many people do it with hydro, natural gas, water/sewer, taxes, home insurance, car insurance always increasing. Then there's mortgage/rent, vehicle payments/bus/taxi fees, gas and the "extras" like cable/phone/internet. How in the world do you keep up??? It becomes a choice between paying a bill or feeding your family. I make more than minimum wage and my children are gone now but if anything extra comes up, I am scrambling. (There was a short period when my children were very young that I had to spread out the day into 2 meals instead of 3. I felt horrible but what do you do??)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I hate Ontario hydro. We pay between 450.00 and a little over 500.00 a month. Our home is 1008 sq. feet with full basement. Nobody we know pays as much as we do and ours have been higher then everyone's right from the start. We built our home 19 years ago. All our appliances are energy star, we do have a pool and run a airconditioner in the summer. This year we put in a new furnance and central air( we had an oil furnance) and switched over to propand. Even put in a new propane cook stove. They tell us they don't know why are bills are so much higher, and they refuse to test our lines. People try and tell us " you have electric heat thats why" we don't have electric heat and never have.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby40 View Post
    I hate Ontario hydro. We pay between 450.00 and a little over 500.00 a month. Our home is 1008 sq. feet with full basement. Nobody we know pays as much as we do and ours have been higher then everyone's right from the start. We built our home 19 years ago. All our appliances are energy star, we do have a pool and run a airconditioner in the summer. This year we put in a new furnance and central air( we had an oil furnance) and switched over to propand. Even put in a new propane cook stove. They tell us they don't know why are bills are so much higher, and they refuse to test our lines. People try and tell us " you have electric heat thats why" we don't have electric heat and never have.

Do you live in a remote area? Just asking because that was an issue with us. We were paying like $500 a month while living in the country, it has dropped to $260 since we've moved to the city. Roughly the same size house (although newer).

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Go to your breaker panel & turn off the main breaker to the whole house, then go outside & check your meter, it should not be running at all because there is zero power to your house, if it is, there is something else tapped into your line.

Many years ago before my kids were born, I lived in a single home in the country with massive hydro bills that could not be explained. I shut off the breaker to the house & went to check the meter to discover the sucker still running.
    It turned out that there was a line tapped into it connecting to the sugar bush on the property directly beside, and it was supplying power to it!

Of course this was a battle that the landlord refused to help to fight because he wasn't the one paying the bills, so notice was given, and I immediately moved out.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

I hate Ontario hydro. We pay between 450.00 and a little over 500.00 a month.
    I think I'd have a coronary if our bill came it for that much!

I'm sorry to hear that Hydro is giving you a hard time KK. Sucks. We all have hard times. I wish they would just be reasonable knowing bad things happen to everyone.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I think I kind of understand both sides of this coin. While it may be difficult for you to pay the entire amount, they did try to contact you and there was no response. I think they should have sent a letter and not just called. On the opposite side though, there are plenty of people that are not paying their bills. How do they distinguish between the people that aren't paying and the ones that do intend to pay? It's a difficult situation for both parties involved.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information