User Tag List

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree276Likes

Thread: Do you believe in God?

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    The one question I have is what was there before the Big Bang? remember, it is simply a theory.

In science we are taught that everything comes from something.

there are many people with high IQ's that believe in a creator, and many ppl with low IQ's who don't. it can go either way. I think the level of one's potential for intelligence isn't a factor.
    i believe before the big bang theory, it was we came from cavemen and/or apes. . . another winner.

I actually believe sometimes high IQ can be a hindrence because one tends to always think one's right. . . . .

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Does the universe have a creator? I really don't know. But I can tell you if the universe has a creator it most assuredly is not the God described in the Bible. That book is a litany of horrors. If that's the God in control of things we're in a universe run by a psychopathic madman.

Trading Score
    211 (100%)

Wel wel, imagine this, We are on a public forum where we are friends and try to help each other out and WE cannot talk about religion…

How do WE expect to ever achieve peace?

Don’t put this forum at war; there is enough around the world in the name of religion.

To each their own!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

I had to read a little about Steven Hawkin's views on religion.
    What I found most interesting turned out to be his wife's views instead.

"Jane Hawking is a Christian. She made the statement in 1986, "Without my faith in God, I wouldn't have been able to live in this situation;" namely, the deteriorating health of her husband. "I would not have been able to marry Stephen in the first place because I wouldn't have had the optimism to carry me through and I wouldn't have been able to carry on with it."

Awesome!
    God has in fact played a big role in Steven Hawkin's life. You don't have to believe for Him to be in your life and work miracles. That's a beautiful thing.
    The best things in life...aren't things

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I believe in both... Creation by God, and evolution.

There is no question evolution exists... just look at fossils. But, to my mind, that cannot be the only source of life on Earth. If it were, why is there not a being, currently, that exists as a half-monkey, half-man? Evolution is a constant, and therefore, if man evolved from monkeys, there would no longer be monkeys.

It just doesn't seem plausible that if evolution were the only contributing factor, that the Earth would even have life to begin with. Really? Everything we see in the world began from a speck of dust? I don't see how that would be possible without the helping hand of God.

I don't believe in God as described in the Bible. The Bible was written by people... and re-written... and translated... and re-written again... and printed in various versions... and on and on. Leaves it open to a whole lot of interpretation.

I do, however, believe that there is purpose to life beyond just existing.

As I tell my kids all the time - the best thing you can do in life is be a good person, and treat others the way you wish to be treated.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes, I do. As I once heard a pastor say, I believe in the whole Bible- from the table of contents to the maps.
    Why? Well...we all have to believe something and after looking at the different options, that's what I picked.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Does the universe have a creator? I really don't know. But I can tell you if the universe has a creator it most assuredly is not the God described in the Bible. That book is a litany of horrors. If that's the God in control of things we're in a universe run by a psychopathic madman.
    He's not MY God, Dave.
    The God in the bible, in my humble opinion, was appropriate for those times, when even rules had to come in the form of parables. When the age they lived in was all about fear-tactics...I don't fear my God, whoever he is, and whatever shape or form he may have.....like I mentioned...I feel I've been 'there' and back, I've felt that overpowering love, and I know that I'll be there again...later...but again....
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SharonMe View Post

"Jane Hawking is a Christian. She made the statement in 1986, "Without my faith in God, I wouldn't have been able to live in this situation;" namely, the deteriorating health of her husband. "I would not have been able to marry Stephen in the first place because I wouldn't have had the optimism to carry me through and I wouldn't have been able to carry on with it."

Awesome!
    God has in fact played a big role in Steven Hawkin's life. You don't have to believe for Him to be in your life and work miracles. That's a beautiful thing.
    Well, giving Stephen Hawking ALS wasn't such a nice thing for God to do.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Dave P - Does the universe have a creator? I really don't know. But I can tell you if the universe has a creator it most assuredly is not the God described in the Bible. That book is a litany of horrors. If that's the God in control of things we're in a universe run by a psychopathic madman.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    He's not MY God, Dave.
    The God in the bible, in my humble opinion, was appropriate for those times, when even rules had to come in the form of parables. When the age they lived in was all about fear-tactics...I don't fear my God, whoever he is, and whatever shape or form he may have.....like I mentioned...I feel I've been 'there' and back, I've felt that overpowering love, and I know that I'll be there again...later...but again....
    This is why you have to read and study the bible. There were reasons as Lynn mentioned for whatever violence took place. What people don't seem to realize is what the pagan nations were doing themselves and why God wanted them cleared form the Promised Land. They were not "very nice" people and had many nasty customs. God possessed the right to cast judgement on them. . just as he does today.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Wow. . . .Dave. . .what makes you think "God" caused Stephen's ALS?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by emmy3111 View Post
    I believe in both... Creation by God, and evolution.

There is no question evolution exists... just look at fossils. But, to my mind, that cannot be the only source of life on Earth. If it were, why is there not a being, currently, that exists as a half-monkey, half-man? Evolution is a constant, and therefore, if man evolved from monkeys, there would no longer be monkeys.

It just doesn't seem plausible that if evolution were the only contributing factor, that the Earth would even have life to begin with. Really? Everything we see in the world began from a speck of dust? I don't see how that would be possible without the helping hand of God.

I don't believe in God as described in the Bible. The Bible was written by people... and re-written... and translated... and re-written again... and printed in various versions... and on and on. Leaves it open to a whole lot of interpretation.

I do, however, believe that there is purpose to life beyond just existing.

As I tell my kids all the time - the best thing you can do in life is be a good person, and treat others the way you wish to be treated.
    Vey good points about the "continuation" of evolution Emmy. You might be surprised to know that from the most ancient manuscripts found, the bible today is very accurate still. If you think of it this way. . . if God was powerful enough to creat the earth, universe and everything in it, could he not protect a book? . .especially His?

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    This is why you have to read and study the bible.
    Oh, I do.

There were reasons as Lynn mentioned for whatever violence took place. What people don't seem to realize is what the pagan nations were doing themselves and why God wanted them cleared form the Promised Land. They were not "very nice" people and had many nasty customs. God possessed the right to cast judgement on them. . just as he does today.
    Like when God sent two bears to rip up 42 little children because they made fun of Elisha's bald head?

2 Kings 2:2-24
    So the waters were healed unto this day, according to the saying of Elisha which he spake.
    And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I don't believe God "gives" anyone anything bad, Dave. ALS is just a fact of life...a fact that, unfortunately, my Best Friend was just diagnosed with and will have the fight of her life. There's good and there's bad in our world, and what happens to whom may be a result of the conditions we've kept ourselves in, or not....toss of the coin. It's on our world and some will get these and other diseases, and others won't. Who knows what's in store for each of us, right? No one. It's our world to do with as we please. Whether we want to be considered 'good' people, or 'bad' people is in our own hands......but like the book says, "bad things happen to good people"...but the reverse is also true....it's not God. It just ... is ... jmho
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    Wow. . . .Dave. . .what makes you think "God" caused Stephen's ALS?
    If you believe in God doesn't it necessarily follow that God determines what happens in the universe He created?

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SharonMe View Post

Awesome!
    And yet they divorced in 1991....That's over 20 years ago.....so she didn't really have that much influence on his later views...
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Thu, Apr 12th, 2012 at 07:06 PM.
    DaveP likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information