User Tag List

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree276Likes

Thread: Do you believe in God?

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by snuffaluffagus View Post
    Another thought...don't you find that a question such as the one posed by the OP makes us focus on our differences rather than our commonalities as is demonstrated by many of the replies to this thread? While I appreciate the uniqueness of individuals, I feel the focus on differences is only useful to set us further apart and can potentially create an environment of hostility. Sadly, we see that in the world around us every day. If there is a deity, I would like to believe that would not be His/Her/Its intention.
    I totally see your point and it's a very good one. I agree that we should appreciate everyone's uniqueness. . .but since we humans are such a social group, I think it is best if we just try to learn not to be hostile when confronted with other opinions.
    I personally enjoy hearing how/what other people think.
    Many must remember their university days when they sat around with their friends debating certain subjects. When does one stop being those open-minded kids and turn into close-minded adults? Bit off topic, but my DH and I were talking about that the other day. . . young peoples' minds can be so uncluttered with the hard knocks in life. I love talking to young people for that reason. They're just so darn interesting!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by DH666 View Post
    There is plenty of solid proof. There is no question that evolution exists. There was a moth in England that was light in colour before the industrial revolution, but it changed to a darker colour after coal was used extensively and soot covered it's environment. Later, ehen coal was not used as much and the soot removed from the moth's environment, it reverted back to its original colour. That is just one of millions of examples occuring all the time.
    I'm no scientist, but I don't know if wildlife changing their camoe to suit it's environment would really be a strong argument.??

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    I'm no scientist, but I don't know if wildlife changing their camoe to suit it's environment would really be a strong argument.??
    Evolution is all about adapting to your environment. That's one small example but you can believe what you want.
    lekate and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Goodness, this has devolved into a debate on religions rather than on the broader issue of whether or not we believe in a god.
    Quite frankly, I don't care what god represents to individuals...I have my beliefs (which are still evolving at my advanced age), and respect that others believe 'their' god to be something else, whether it's aliens (yes, I've been watching too much of that show) or some divine spark. I don't care whether one believes in evolution or in a god who orchestrated evolution to make it happen the way it has throughout all these centuries. (Sorry, but I'm always reminded of the story of a kid who, after hearing about evolution, said, "So why are there still apes?"....)

I think a simple "Yes", "No" answer probably would have been sufficient to the OP's question...all else is too firmly rooted in emotion, imho.

But personally....I believe in forgiveness, not "making up for" things that have passed, although if we're speaking of any atrocities committed by community members in this day and age, whether they're lay people or leaders of a religious group, suitable punishment is certainly in order. I don't think anyone actually condoned the atrocities committed in centuries past in the name of their god for heaven's sake, not would anyone condone them now!

We agree to disagree. Simple as that.
    anisa, annedougherty and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

One thing that is absolutely certain is that no scientist has ever proven that there is a link that goes directly from ape to humanoid. they are still searching for this missing link.

there is in fact a gene that is believed to be a language gene that does not even exist in other animals. (yes, i saw that on ancient aliens, love the show!)

one thing I have wondered is that if evolution is natural and probable, why are we the only species that supposedly developed to what we are today. meaning we have language and an intellect that allows us to study ourselves. why are there no other species on this planet that evolved naturally to the same level? there could have been a super intelligent bird, or wolf or lizard. it makes you wonder.

I know that the idea of evolution and a Creator aren't the same, but one is usually included when debating the other.

I have never quite believed that darwin was correct. i think there may be examples of adaptation, but that does not mean that therefore we evolved from less developed, less intelligent mammals.

in fact the theory of evolution is not even accepted by all scientists. and no, i don't believe all the scientists that reject the theory of evolution are believers in a creator, i think that the theory just doesn't hold much in terms of scientific logic.

As for saying that some people of certain faiths did bad things, therefore all faith is bad is just very strange.

one thing is certain, is that if you look at each culture, right back to the first civilizations there has always been a creation story of some kind. there have always been stories of how the universe was created and how humans were created.
    Lynn49 likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    I can understand why you feel that way. It doesn't really seem that there's any solid proof about descending from the apes (or somthing like that) though. For example, all in the animal kingdom are drivin by instinct. . .in otherwards you could say almost programmed from birth what to do, what to eat, where to go. . . .but humans have to be "taught" these things and they have much more intellectual/emotional capabilities that make them stand out from each other. . . animals of each species basically do the same as all the others (of course they all have their own personalities which I love) Humans invent, create, haave a vast higher learning capability. . . .and of course there's the age old (pardon the pun) point that if we were evolving, why did we stop?

The real biggie, which you identified yourself. . .is humans are alone in all the species that have a spiritual need. . .wether it be religion or connecting with nature or connecting with one's inner self. . . (I'm sure I haven't covered them all but you know what I mean)
    That's what makes You different. .
    Not necessarily... I think humans, like all animals, are born with the instinct to forage for food and shelter. Human babies are born with the natural instinct to suckle, (much like animals).What do you mean by 'why did we stop evolving?' Do you think that humans should be even more advanced then we already are?
    I need to collect my thoughts on this, so I'll be back later

As an aside, thank you all, and especially MQ for a very respectful discussion. (not that you haven't already shown to be a respectful person, but some people in this thread have been a little demeaning (sp?))
    I really like this thread. I know it has caused drama already, but I love hearing about other peoples beliefs.
    abbasgirl and Natalka like this.

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

Interesting conversation on a topic that will always get people's back up. Although, unless the OP returns and participates, I do believe you've been trolled.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AmberLab View Post
    Interesting conversation on a topic that will always get people's back up. Although, unless the OP returns and participates, I do believe you've been trolled.
    I know, but it makes life interesting!
    AmberLab and MortgageQueen like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

BTW, the theory of evolution is fact:

A scientific law is a description of an observed phenomenon. Kepler's Laws of
    Planetary Motion are a good example. Those laws describe the motions of planets.
    But they do not explain why they are that way. If all scientists ever did was to
    formulate scientific laws, then the universe would be very well-described, but
    still unexplained and very mysterious.

A theory is a scientific
    explanation of an observed phenomenon. Unlike laws, theories actually explain
    why things are the way they are. Theories are what science is for. If, then, a
    theory is a scientific explanation of a natural phenomena, ask yourself this:
    "What part of that definition excludes a theory from being a fact?" The answer
    is nothing! There is no reason a theory cannot be an actual fact as well.

In everyday use, theory means a guess or a hunch, something that maybe needs
    proof. In science, a theory is not a guess, not a hunch. It's a
    well-substantiated, well-supported, well-documented explanation for our
    observations.2 It ties together all the facts about something, providing an
    explanation that fits all the observations and can be used to make predictions.
    In science, theory is the ultimate goal, the explanation. It's as close to
    proven as anything in science can be.
    Last edited by DH666; Fri, Apr 13th, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
    Miss_April likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

BTW, the theory of evolution is fact:

A scientific law is a description of an observed phenomenon. Kepler's Laws of
    Planetary Motion are a good example. Those laws describe the motions of planets.
    But they do not explain why they are that way. If all scientists ever did was to
    formulate scientific laws, then the universe would be very well-described, but
    still unexplained and very mysterious.

A theory is a scientific
    explanation of an observed phenomenon. Unlike laws, theories actually explain
    why things are the way they are. Theories are what science is for. If, then, a
    theory is a scientific explanation of a natural phenomena, ask yourself this:
    "What part of that definition excludes a theory from being a fact?" The answer
    is nothing! There is no reason a theory cannot be an actual fact as well.

In everyday use, theory means a guess or a hunch, something that maybe needs
    proof. In science, a theory is not a guess, not a hunch. It's a
    well-substantiated, well-supported, well-documented explanation for our
    observations.2 It ties together all the facts about something, providing an
    explanation that fits all the observations and can be used to make predictions.
    In science, theory is the ultimate goal, the explanation. It's as close to
    proven as anything in science can be.
    Sorry to be such a stickler. . .and I'm not doing it to be obnoxious, but. .. .although a theory may seem like a very reasonable explanation, it's still just a theory until it is backed up with fact.
    DH666 - "In science, theory is the ultimate goal, the explanation. It's as close to
    proven as anything in science can be."
    Wouldn't it just be wise to "allow" this to be a theory, until proven? Humans are always in a rush to claim things as fact (science and otherwise) Science and the study of the universe has barely been tapped. There's still alot of amazing things to learn. . .one fact at a time. . .
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

A scientific theory is fact.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

A scientific theory is fact.
    I just asked my scientist hubby if, in fact, that's correct, and he said this:

"No. It's a guess based on some sort of evidence (repeated evidence)..ex: my theory is that the world is flat because ships didn't return after long ocean voyages, and therefore fell off the edge of the world.
    It wasn't until we got more evidence that, that particular scientific theory was proven wrong.
    New evidence can disprove a 'scientific theory'.

So a theory, whether it's scientific or otherwise is just that: a theory, until proven right or wrong.

I seem to be picking on you DH666 (see? I got it right this time)...I don't mean to, sorry 'bout that....just trying to keep things moving along gracefully...lol...
    abbasgirl and Natalka like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Probably good to just agree to disagree on that one. . .

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

It doesn't alter the fact that evolution exists and has happened, is happening and will continue to happen.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

Evolution happens by natural selection. It's nature. Pretty basic. The strong gene survives and adapts.

Edited to add: acknowledging evolution diesn't mean I believe in "the theory of evolution" which suggests that humans evolved from apes. We may all be primates and share common traits but I will never believe we shared a common ancestor.
    Last edited by SharonMe; Fri, Apr 13th, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
    The best things in life...aren't things

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information