User Tag List

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By hollyquaiscer
  • 1 Post By coupongirl99

Thread: Being Self Employed stinks sometimes!

Trading Score
    104 (100%)

I'm self employed (Child care),and I haven't changed my rates in 3 years, I decided to raise them ($3 to $4hr) in the new year to keep them in accordance with the cost of living and being in line with other people's rates (just getting around to it now).

I give receipts, I rarely take time off and I almost always take kid's last minute when something comes up. I've even had kids end up on my doorstep cause parents aren't home or whoever was picking them up didn't show up and not charged for it. I can't even imagine how I would feel if nobody was there to pick my dsd up off the bus with our house locked up, I would think somebody would be very grateful for that, enough to actually pay for the week on time.

Come on people it's only $40 and you live three houses up from me! I can SEE that you're home, you know that I'm home, and I know personally you used to run a daycare yourself. I know things come up, but usually you call and let somebody know what's going on and you can't possible think I will believe it happens every other week.. you get your paycheque on time right?

I also had to change some polices due to clients generally taking advantage of the fact I'm really flexible on days off and drop off pick up times... I end up feeling like crap, being short on pay sometimes making bills wait and generally don't receive apologies for any of this.

I work one week of nights for a family that works rotating factory shifts, after starting my day 5:15am so I made the decision to charge them at an over-time rate for the night's, which is what I should have been doing in the first place. I also take time away from my family and can't do anything personal during that week. My husband works midnights 6 days a week so evenings are all the time we spend together. Most other people I know who run day care won't even consider a night shift no matter what the cost.

I have a hard time separating my personal feelings from my business decisions about this. I've given advance notice about the changes, given the option for people to give notice because of it with no hard feelings because I realize changes aren't always manageable for everyone and I know if they give notice it's their decision, and I shouldn't care because it's all worth what I'm asking. Even after my "raise" I come nowhere close to what my sister pays for daycare that is designed to be as flexible as I am...

so WHY do I feel like the "bad guy"? and why do I feel the need to explain myself and the new policy?

ARGH!!!!!!

I feel a bit better getting it all out!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

DO NOT FEEL BAD!!! No day home that I have ever heard of would do all the kind things that you are doing for your clients. It seems to me that these people have been using you, knowing full well that you have a huge heart. Thats easy to tell, just by reading your post. You DESERVE a raise, and I can pretty much guarantee that your clients won't go elsewhere. From the sounds of it, there isn't a dayhome around that would do the nightshift at a regular rate (that you were charging), let alone take children at short notice or just because they are locked out of there homes (especially free of charge). Girl, you have paid your dues and it's time for your raise, heck they should be giving you a trophy too! Best of luck, and never ever feel bad about paying yourself. You work hard and earn every dime.
    Last edited by hollyquaiscer; Tue, Apr 17th, 2012 at 09:53 AM.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (100%)

You feel bad because you care but seriously DO NOT CAVE!!! Sounds like people are taking advantage of you and you know what? If they don't like it they can leave and take their business else where... good luck to them finding someone new for the same price and flexibility. I highly doubt you'd have any problem replacing them as clients.
    Last edited by coupongirl99; Tue, Apr 17th, 2012 at 12:41 AM.
    carlyincanada likes this.

Trading Score
    297 (100%)

You deserve to make a good living too...so don't feel bad...& don't let them take advantage of your
    good heart! Best of luck to you!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Tough decisions.
    Stick to what you think is best though. If you don't there could be this nagging regret.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Maribel... my sil ran a daycare for years. Here is what she did... people must pay her for the week on Monday; you don't pay ahead, you look for another daycare that minute (no exceptions). She did this because she found on Fridays people always had excuses why they couldn't pay (but she has bills to pay too) and she got tired of getting after people to pay for the week past.

Also, the parents signed a contract about being late. It was something like $5 every 15 minutes (or something like that). You don't pay, you don't bring your kids back the next day until that was paid. She found that people were rarely late. She just got to a point where she was tired of being taken advantage of by parents that went to the mall, grocery shopping, etc, after their job but were late in picking up their kids.

I found her fair... and for her if you didn't like the rules then go to someone else. She was very upfront with her rules.

Sometimes you have to be a little bad-ass. Good luck!
    Want Free Gift Cards? Join me at SWAGBUCKS!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/bekki3

Trading Score
    104 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bekki3 View Post
    Sometimes you have to be a little bad-ass. Good luck!
    Thank you I needed a little giggle.
    It might come to pre-paying for the week for some people, that is, if they don't give notice after this.

Thank you everyone for the encouragement I needed it. I'm doing what I need to, and I'll try not to feel bad about it, I can always go back to work in a Pharmacy if everyone leaves day care

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

My kids are in a home daycare. She has really helped me in a bind, however, I also pay her extra each week ($10 bonus). I also give her an extra amount at Christmas as a bonus. That said I know that there are other parents that take advantage of her, and it really bothers me. She is running a business and, like you said, has bills to pay as well. Manitoba just recently announced that daycare rates will be increasing beginning in June (I think).

You sound like a WONDERFUL caregiver. If parents can't abide by your rules, then they need to find care elsewhere. If you lived closer, I'd totally let you care for my kids

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I agree with everyone here. As for the parents that work nights so you work for them at night they should be paying you more. Every job that I know of pays shift premiums for night and overnight jobs, which means they get paid more, therefore so should you. Good luck!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Tell the ones who complain to go out and find actual daycare and see how much THAT costs them! Odds are you are probably the best deal in town!

My SIL ran a daycare but she was with a registered company "Wee Watch". They set the rates and had about 3 billion rules and regulations she had to follow. But at least people knew the rules were not hers but were from Wee Watch.

If people are taking advantage of you (dropping off early/picking up late), start charging surcharges if you aren't already. A couple extra $20 surcharges might smarten them up!

Also, if you are not already doing it, get each parent to sign an agreement for your services. Get a lawyer to draw it up if you have to. As a matter of fact, it might save your rear end if something were to happen to one's child (ie: you put in the agreement that they release you from accidents beyond your control etc.)

Also, you may want to check with your house insurance to make sure you do have proper coverage if something were to happen. It might cost you more in the short term, but might be WELL worth it in the long run!

I hope you are claiming every single possible thing you can on your taxes! Oh and if you do get a lawyer for above, that is deductible too! Just make sure you are a registered business and then you get to claim GST/HST refunds too!!!

I hope this helps you out a bit!
    Missing my Best Friend since 1971. RIP Lynda (1947-2012)

Have Questions About Internet Marketing? ASK ME!

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Don't ever feel bad for doing something that is going to help you and your family. If your watching someone else's child after regular business hours and it is effecting your personal time with your family then the parents of that child just have to pay.

lighthousejen
    Trading Score
    60 (100%)

I use to care too, but after having my home daycare for the last seven years. I have seen it, heard it all. I learned to put my foot down and stick to what works for everyone including me and my family. Otherwise it will take away from what you love to do, which is look after children. Wishing you all the best and don't feel bad for standing your ground. What you do is just has worthy as any other job and you should be paid in accordence with what you do

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I don't run a home daycare, but I am self-employed and work from home. I find that most of the work I do gives me no grief - everyone abides by the rules of the game. Then there are those people who make you want to run screaming for the hills!

My Dad is an accountant and one of the owners/managers of a small company. He's got a lot of inconsiderate clients, too. What he did was to send out letters to clients that rates for basic services were increasing. His favourite clients (those who don't give him any grief) and those who he takes on as quasi-charity cases (paying a nominal fee or payment in kind) didn't get a notice and stayed at the old rates. Some of the difficult customers took a hike, and the rest knuckled down and paid more. He declared it a win-win situation as there's a lot of demand for his industry (as there is for yours) so there wasn't a problem replacing the 'difficult' clients... a win-win-win situation, really.

Good luck and congrats on standing up for yourself with your clients!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Been there, done that! I asked for payment every two weeks and people paid for the 'space' not for the days they attended. i.e. I didn't want to get into the whole scenario where people felt they shouldn't have to pay for the day little Johnnie was sick, or for the day Grandma took Suzie out shopping for the day. Like them, I counted on a certain 'salary' per month and I couldn't suddenly fill their space for an 8 hour period with no notice. I made sure everything was clearly spelled out on paper because, like you, some of my clients were friends/neighbours and that always makes it tougher to handle. It would likely have been better for everyone if you had gradually increased your rates over the three years....but you 'gotta do what you gotta' do to ensure you are fairly paid and your family's needs are being met. I would also encourage you to start being a little less flexible. You don't want to keep giving until you hit the point where you feel all used up. Set some boundaries that work for you and your clients and then stick to them. You do important work...you are caring for the most precious' possessions' people will ever have...

Thread Information