User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Gardening Brag And Other Backyard Adventures

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by snuffaluffagus View Post
    Have you ever cried over not getting a freebie? Like real tears?

All Winter long I daydreamed and drew plans of where I would plant trees on our property this Spring. Every time when I thought I couldn't take another dark, cloudy day, my mood brightened when I thought of my trees.

Our municipality gives to residents 800 trees every Spring. The distribution day was yesterday. I went to work early and totally forgot/missed it . Sigh.
    Snuff, what kind of trees are you looking for, maybe I could help

I have alot of trees at home, too many. Often I need to remove some in the flower bed and other place in the backyard. They just germ and growth everywhere from seeds falling from the mature trees in my wood.
    snuffaluffagus likes this.
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Trading Score
    471 (100%)

I love this thread, snuff.

I really, really love to garden. We have amazing three level flowerbeds all around our house(that my hubby built) but I am the Queen of Cheap and don't have a very big budget for gardening. I am working at getting our beds filled with perennials so that I don't need to do quite so many annuals every year. We got lots of our garden stuff with the CT Scratch Card Promo but I have found some really great other deals too. Like check the clearance section of your local gardening center. Mine had 12 pks of petunias on clearance for .99(reg 14.99) because they were overgrown. They were beautiful and perfect for my hanging pots.

Like someone else suggested, get cuttings from others. My MIL has issues growing anything but she always attempts perennials. They end up at my house. I have a ton of Irises, rose bushes, orchids, tulips, etc that I got all for free. I added in 2 Fireflies and another plant(name escapes me right now) that I picked up for free off kijii!!

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Ontest, I would love to get some Birch trees but, there really isn't any in particular I'm looking for. I love all trees! I planted Sugar Maple and Oak on one side of our backyard two years ago. They were only tiny little "boutures" back then but the Maple is over 6 feet tall already. I also planted a few Pine in the front yard (I even have a tiny Charlie Brown tree ). We have a forest behind our property with lots of Birch but, the forest is very swampy, filled with poison ivy, and grows very, very thick. I was thinking of digging a few baby Birch up but I'm terrified of damaging the roots of the adult trees so I won't do it . I decided I was going to plant my own little forest all around our house. I just need 100 trees and 20 years or so, lol.

Jody, your garden sounds lovely! Have you posted any photos of it on the forum? I'd love to see it . I don't have any friends or family who garden and my neighbors don't do much gardening either. I'll have to look into freecycle and kijiji, thanks for the reminder!
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

We are playing chain saw in one part of our backyard to do a "real" garden with veggies. Today we have remove "parent tree" (souche)... I'm pretty sure I have some little birch for you here. Are you looking for deciduous only or also for conifer? I could easily found spruce, canadian hemlock, pine. I know I have some maple who just germ in the flower bed and still have thuya. I will be happy to deliever them in south shore

Myself, I removed some trees in the front of the house to put fruits trees (apple, pear, plum, cherry, gooseberry) and I need to add more fruits trees, guess why?

I also need to organize the wild blackberry and wild raspberry growing here.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

I'd be thrilled with deciduous and conifer. I'm really not picky at all. I think they are all beautiful!

Fruit trees so that the birds have plenty to eat ??

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

I would respond in french for that one...

"oui, mes moineaux vont avoir plein de chose ą manger!"

lol!

you know I often call my kids "moineaux" (sparrow)?

Trading Score
    211 (100%)

My MIL brought me a redcurrant, gooseberry and rhubarb this weekend!! They are leveling the back yard and they were going to the garbage. I was so happy! I got a raspberry bush for mother’s day to! My sparrow’s will be happy to!!
    cath007 and snuffaluffagus like this.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Today's deal is probably the best one yet only because it was an unexpected surprise. I can't stop ing over it. I went to Super C to get some stuff for work and, at the entrance, there was a sign for Hibiscus plants on sale at 9.99$ instead of 19.99$. There were also Orleandre (Laurier in English, I think) but no price posted. I thought I'd take a chance and brought 3 to the cash with 2 Hibiscus. The Orleandre scanned at 19.99$ but the manager told the cashier to let me have them for 9.99$ each, woohoo. Then the Hibiscus also scanned at 19.99 and the manager said not to bother with SCOP, I could have them both for free , double woohoo . I paid 29.97$ (no tax was charged as it was entered under groceries) for all 5 plants. They were in need of a desperate watering and will be getting a much needed transplant this evening. I'm so pumped because I was looking for the Orleandre and couldn't find it anywhere save one local gardening center and it was priced at 35.99$.

3x Orleandre reg. price 59.97$
    2x Hibiscus sale price 19.99$
    Total: 79.96$
    Oop: 29.97$
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kitty77, janetta, cath007 and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

2010ontest and snuff(I will do an abreviation I dont wont to make a mistake on spelling)!!!WTG on yours gardens projects!!! It amazed me I am in appartment so no place for gardenning...but I will be excited later to have my own backward and home to do gardenning and planting threes too

2010ontest: Enjoy all of yours fresh fruits and vegetables.It is fantastic how the things you grow.And no need to go to grocery and pay expensive price...you have it in your backward Happy summer of gardening for you too

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    2010ontest and snuff(I will do an abreviation I dont wont to make a mistake on spelling)!!!WTG on yours gardens projects!!! It amazed me I am in appartment so no place for gardenning...but I will be excited later to have my own backward and home to do gardenning and planting threes too

2010ontest: Enjoy all of yours fresh fruits and vegetables.It is fantastic how the things you grow.And no need to go to grocery and pay expensive price...you have it in your backward Happy summer of gardening for you too

Cath I don't grow lot of stuff... I just know where to go to pick them for free (for the berries and other wild stuff)... other fruits and veggies I go to the farmer that have "pick your own" (auto-ceuillette) for veggies. Because I need to reduce the wood in my backyard first to have a real big garden.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Excellent post! I love gardening season! Too bad the growing season is so short...argh..

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

My younger son bought me 2 palm trees on sale at 9.99$ from 29.99$ last week (our local garden center infrequently has good specials on one or two items every couple of weeks). I don't have any large pots left so thought to bring home some white 5 gallon pails from work (that end up in recycling) to re-use. Dh sawed the upper portion of the pails off and drilled some holes in the bottoms. We found some leftover spray paint from a previous project and, voilą, new pots for free .

Name:  Garden 2012 6.JPG
Views: 367
Size:  24.6 KB

And what it looks like with plants potted. Yes, I'm shamelessly taking this opportunity to show off my dogs too .

Name:  garden 2012 7.JPG
Views: 313
Size:  56.0 KB

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I'm not a great gardener but at this time of the year, I do try to pick up things for very low cost. Yesterday, Canadian Tire what clearing out the last of it's perennials - I got hens and chickens that I had been looking for for .25 a cell. I, unlike every other gardener of hens and chickens, managed to KILL the ones I bought last year. I'm happy. I also got a replacement for the black-eyed Susans that the bunnies munched down to the ground!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Oh, the bunnies are going to be happy .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information