User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Gardening Brag And Other Backyard Adventures

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Reading everyone's brags has inspired me to start on a gardening project using mainly sales, coupons, freebies, promos, contests, trades, etc.. I'm challenging myself to stretch every penny to put to use on items that will keep on giving all year long ie. fresh produce. In addition, if I can beautify the yard up as inexpensively as possible, it'll be a bonus . I'll be updating this thread with deals I've found and photos as the season progresses.

During the last Canadian Tire scratch card promo, we used them to acquire 3 bags of seed starting mix and 1 roll of velcro ties (for my tomato plants) for free. Today, I exchanged 3x 10$ gift certificates at a local gardening center from participating in a contest, Concour Tout a Gagner (thank you to all those who used my link to enter the contest, in turn, increasing my points to make this possible ). I picked up 3 bags of 40L organic compost, enough for my vegetable garden and Lilac trees. I also got 4 seed packs of tomatoes, cucumbers, and watermelon. I went over the 30$ by 0.83$ plus paid 4.62$ in taxes.

I'm really excited about this project and I hope I can share ideas and I hope you'll share yours too!

Total purchases to date: 55.45$
    Promo & gift cards: 50$
    Total oop: 5.45$

Name:  BYB1.JPG
Views: 1486
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  BYB2.JPG
Views: 1471
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  BYB3.JPG
Views: 1440
Size:  33.4 KB

Name:  BYB4.JPG
Views: 1524
Size:  34.4 KB
    This thread is currently associated with: Canadian Tire
    Kitty77, Patty Smyth, KK7 and 10 others like this.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

claires mommy too! <3 gracesmommy's Avatar
    Trading Score
    392 (100%)

love this!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

nice use of the CT scratch cards to garden inexpensively

Trading Score
    26 (96%)

What a great idea. We just moved into a new home and the backyard is bare! I think I might take your lead and see how much I can save by using unexpected methods for designing and decorating my yard

Trading Score
    26 (96%)

What a great idea. We just moved into a (new to us) home and the backyard is bare! I think I might take your lead and see how much I can save by using unexpected methods for designing and decorating my yard

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I wish you all the best with this project! Don't forget "cuttings" exchanges that might be listed on "Freecycle" or at your local horticultural society for perrennials if not vegetables.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    26 (96%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    I wish you all the best with this project! Don't forget "cuttings" exchanges that might be listed on "Freecycle" or at your local horticultural society for perrennials if not vegetables.
    Yes thank you for the suggestion. I often frequent small town auctions and estate sales, a person can get a great amount of bargains.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Great idea. Can't wait to see what your garden produces.

Dh and I are about to dig out some bushes but will for sure post them in our area before we do. They are great just not for us.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

What a great idea! I love gardening. I wish I had space to do a watermelon wow! you're like a pro with manure and organic seeds and everything.

I wanted to share a deal too, hope you don't mind me inserting it into your gardening brag: surprised to find bulb and tuber pouches at Dollarama for $2. you can see these in walmart, grocery stores usually have a stand too, and they usually go for more. I used to wait till they go on sale/clearance, but at that time it's hard to find a healthy one, and we are playing catch up in terms of growth season, so I was so happy and surprised to find them in Dollarama Bought quite a few, there are lots of different types.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 1473
Size:  34.5 KB
    Kitty77 and cath007 like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

That's awesome! I only bought a few tomato plants as I only had one $5 off coupon but I did enjoy my "free" tomatoes! I say "free" because I'm sure we paid for extra water and compost.

Somewhere between Sherbrooke and Montréal
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by snuffaluffagus View Post
    Reading everyone's brags has inspired me to start on a gardening project using mainly sales, coupons, freebies, promos, contests, trades, etc.. I'm challenging myself to stretch every penny to put to use on items that will keep on giving all year long ie. fresh produce. In addition, if I can beautify the yard up as inexpensively as possible, it'll be a bonus . I'll be updating this thread with deals I've found and photos as the season progresses.

During the last Canadian Tire scratch card promo, we used them to acquire 3 bags of seed starting mix and 1 roll of velcro ties (for my tomato plants) for free. Today, I exchanged 3x 10$ gift certificates at a local gardening center from participating in a contest, Concour Tout a Gagner (thank you to all those who used my link to enter the contest, in turn, increasing my points to make this possible ). I picked up 3 bags of 40L organic compost, enough for my vegetable garden and Lilac trees. I also got 4 seed packs of tomatoes, cucumbers, and watermelon. I went over the 30$ by 0.83$ plus paid 4.62$ in taxes.

I'm really excited about this project and I hope I can share ideas and I hope you'll share yours too!

Total purchases to date: 55.45$
    Promo & gift cards: 50$
    Total oop: 5.45$

Name:  BYB1.JPG
Views: 1486
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  BYB2.JPG
Views: 1471
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  BYB3.JPG
Views: 1440
Size:  33.4 KB

Name:  BYB4.JPG
Views: 1524
Size:  34.4 KB

Better start your tomatoes ASAP. Mines were started on February 26th and they are 3 inches tall! Last call for starting tomato's crop is usually St. Joseph's day on March 20th.

Maybe you'll have better luck with already grown tomato's plants and keeping those seeds for next year!!

But you should try Basil crops. Quick and easy to grow and goes very well with tomatos in the garden (plant them next to each other, your tomatoes will have less bugs and will be more flavourful!).

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

So nice to read this thread. Makes me want summer to come, and the wonderful smells of grass, lilacs and flowers. Please add pic's of your garden as it grows. I miss my yard, but just can't do that any more
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

I really like your brag idea snuff

I don't have a big garden myself, but I have the forest and wood. I'm more learning to know the edible plant from nature than doing a big garden. But really enjoy to have spot for fresh herb and flower.

I started to eat my pickled plant some from nature 2 days ago. 2 days ago I have cook with Trout lilies flower and leaves. Maybe today we will have a pizza with bacon, trout lilies leaves and some other

I will follow that thread for sure and enjoy it
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Trading Score
    211 (100%)

Awsome idear snuff! I purchassed all my seads from Amazon.ca with my superpoints, all FREE! But i hade to pay for earth and composte! If you want some more seeds i have some for you! LOTS of herbs, beens, peas, carottes, ognion, salade, turnip, pepers and hot pepers! Oh ya strawberies to, but they arent growing, the only ones that wont take off

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

Awesomd brag! Can't wait to read updates on the garden.
    If you are interested in Houseseats here is my referal link:
    http://www.houseseats.ca/[email protected]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information