User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Here's a Hot Topic - Harper Gov. to Open abortion Debate < - the lies continue

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Expired
    My only argument is that this is not for the governement to decide, pro-choice or pro-life, this is government interference in a private matter.

I am no fan of this government nor anything it has done but this issue seems to fall in line with his born again views. So much for seperation of church and state.

The hidden agenda continues to rear it's ugly head. Why is it always a man that starts this crap?

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...-s-motion?bn=1

OTTAWA—A Commons debate Thursday triggered by a Conservative MP has led pro-choice forces to accuse the Harper government of trying to resurrect a divisive national discussion about abortion.
    Kitchener MP Stephen Woodworth will ask for a special parliamentary committee to discuss the definition of a human being when he rises in the House.
    The Conservative MP takes issue with Section 223 of Canada’s Criminal Code, which states that human life begins when a child emerges from its mother’s body.
    “The question is whether that’s an accurate statement, an honest statement or a misrepresentation,” Woodworth said in an interview.
    Canada has been without an abortion law since 1988, when then-prime minister Brian Mulroney’s attempt to codify the procedure was struck down by the Supreme Court of Canada.
    Prime Minister Stephen Harper has repeatedly said his Conservative government will not reopen the abortion debate.
    Some pro-life Conservative MPs have attempted to reignite the issue. Saskatchewan MP Brad Trost publicly criticized his own government last year for backing an overseas aid group that provided abortions.
    Opposition MPs say Thursday’s debate wouldn’t be happening if Stephen Harper wasn’t considering reopening the abortion issue.
    “I’ve never seen anyone control (his caucus) so absolutely as he does,” said NDP Leader Tom Mulcair. “If he didn’t want that to be discussed, it wouldn’t be there.”
    “This is their backdoor way of signalling to their base that this is what they’d actually like to do and they just can’t do it.”
    Mulcair said he won’t have to whip his 100 MPs to vote against Woodworth’s motion.
    “I want to be very clear. We’re not going to have to impose anything because our caucus is unanimous on this.
    “We are unanimously opposed to that motion and that approach.”
    Interim Liberal leader Bob Rae said he’s personally opposed to reopening the abortion debate but Rae said he won’t compel Liberal MPs to toe that line because the issue is a matter of individual conscience.
    “If there are individuals in my caucus who feel strongly for moral reasons one way or the other, we’re not going to whip the vote,” Rae said.
    Liberal prime ministers Jean Chrétien and Paul Martin also had members of their caucus push to reopen the abortion discussion during their tenures.
    Over 50 activists rallied on Parliament Hill Wednesday, one day before Woodworth’s private member’s motion will be debated in the House of Commons.
    Julie Lalonde, a member of the pro-choice group Radical Handmaids, said she hopes their work will send Woodworth’s motion “back to the hell hole it came from.”
    Woodworth says his motion does not propose any changes to existing law and simply sets out to discuss the current one. He said he hopes the motion is passed and that Parliament can have “respectful dialogue” about the “legal principles and evidence involved.”
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    matrix82, AmberLab, Insane and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I'm with you Patty. The issue of Abortion is a personal one and church & state should remain separate, no matter who is in Government.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Thank you Tara. I am not opening up the debate about whether you are pro-choice or pro-life, that is no one's business but their own. The issue is who has the right? This is an individual right, nothing more.

The big issue also is they, government, are wanting to redefine when life begins.

So far they just want to talk about the existing law. Not a good sign.
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Not a good sign at all and something that was said over and over again will not be touched or brought to the table. And yet here we are. On the issue of "when life begins", here is an interesting article from the US about that. Kinda scary that a law like this was put in place.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

TaraF likes this.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I agree, the governmnet should not decided. This is a personal choice. And if they do decided to take charge of this and decided for people than this is going to cause major issues. People who want abortions will still get them, even if the government says they can. But these types will be underground and unsafe, which can cause major issues or even death for some. I say the government needs to focus on more important things than this.
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    And well there should be. Signed and happy to see it has over 40,000 signatures already.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I agree, the governmnet should not decided. This is a personal choice. And if they do decided to take charge of this and decided for people than this is going to cause major issues. People who want abortions will still get them, even if the government says they can't etc. But these types will be underground and unsafe, which can cause major issues or even death for some. I say the government needs to focus on more important things than this.
    TaraF and glowworm2k like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Also, something else to add, if the government does try and decided for us, then they better start working on the dead beat parents out there that don't pay for their child support! Because hey, if your going to decided for me, you better start working on the support!
    TaraF, Patty Smyth and bmpsmommy like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

This is a private members' bill, not a government bill.
    All politicians get a chance to bring in private members business (they do a ballot which gives each of them a date, when every member has had a turn they start again). There are very strict rules on what the Bill can be about which is why he is asking for a committee rather than making it illegal
    If he really did control his caucus the way mentioned, this bill would not be on the floor, if he wanted a committee, he could strike one, it won't pass (even Conservative members have publicly said they will not support it) and even if it did, Committees don't have the kind of power to stop abortions or even decide when life begins
    A wasted PMB like 99% of the other ones
    ame555, Natalka and erin9mmm like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Somebody's stirring the pot to get people heated up. Why? Who knows. . . but you can bet this is done on purpose and someone has an agenda. . .they always do.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    Somebody's stirring the pot to get people heated up. Why? Who knows. . . but you can bet this is done on purpose and someone has an agenda. . .they always do.
    Me thinks it's being tossed on the table to distract from other issues plaguing the Government at the moment. At least I hope that's the reason.

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

Hot button issues are usually brought up as a distraction. The question is what is this a distraction for?

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

Tara had the same thought as I did. LOL

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AmberLab View Post
    Tara had the same thought as I did. LOL
    Great minds think alike? Let's go with that anyways lol
    AmberLab likes this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information