User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 23 of 23
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Canadian Tire food.

  1. #16
    Smart Canuck ericaraina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Montreal
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,621
    Likes Received
    1529
    Trading Score
    107 (100%)



    at the last CT event, i used my 5$ off to get my cat treats (little packets that cost around 1$). luckily before i fed them to her, i checked the date and noticed that they expired in 2010. it wasn't worth it to drive back to the store over a 1$ item, but i was pretty pissed!

  2. #17
    Smart Canuck
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,827
    Likes Received
    1490
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)




    Phone them
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

  3. #18
    It's time to win lekate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    4,554
    Likes Received
    536
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by greencanuck View Post
    As a person who worked retail in the past, consumers should always check the packaging date expiry and package integrity.

    Staff do try to check expiry dates, but as more and more staff hours are cut, things like that slip by.

    That said, here is a website that discusses how long food is good past the expiry date:
    http://www.stilltasty.com/
    I'm more inclined to side with this, I've worked in retail a long time, and been a consumer too, to know that sh!t happens, things slip by and most people filling shelves don't check/rotate product. They aren't paid enough, and generally have to fill X amount of stuff each shift, so they just shove things on.

    Where I work now, we do freshness tracking EACH MONTH, and you know what? stuff gets left behind or overlooked, the worst are products with production code dates...

    In the op's case, that's kinda ridiculous that it was 9 mos expired, but overall people should be checking. I don't buy boxed things like that, but it could get annoying but you can't always rely on someone else. Whatever happened to personal responsibility???
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

    I'm going to South Korea!

  4. #19
    Senior Canuck Speckled28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    879
    Likes Received
    370
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by lekate View Post
    I'm more inclined to side with this, I've worked in retail a long time, and been a consumer too, to know that sh!t happens, things slip by and most people filling shelves don't check/rotate product. They aren't paid enough, and generally have to fill X amount of stuff each shift, so they just shove things on.

    Where I work now, we do freshness tracking EACH MONTH, and you know what? stuff gets left behind or overlooked, the worst are products with production code dates...

    In the op's case, that's kinda ridiculous that it was 9 mos expired, but overall people should be checking. I don't buy boxed things like that, but it could get annoying but you can't always rely on someone else. Whatever happened to personal responsibility???
    I check many of my groceries for expiry dates.....not usually boxed goods but things like meat, cheese, milk etc etc. But do I think I should have to constantly check.......no. I realize that sometimes things slip through.....but if it's happening all the time in the same store...there's a problem.....or if the item has been expired for almost a year :S I think people tend to expect more from stores....especially in the last few years. The price of groceries has gone through the roof.....you now have to bring your own bags or pay for their bags.....you pack your own groceries....and carry them out yourself ( I don't mind carrying out my own groceries but I do remember when they used to do that for you....especially for the elderly).

    The stores keep expecting more and more from their customers but are offering less and less. Like I said....I understand that things can get overlooked.....but in this specific case something that was overlooked for 9 months indicates an issue.....especially when CT barely even has a grocery section. JMO.

  5. #20
    Smart Canuck glowworm2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vanier, ON
    Posts
    2,722
    Likes Received
    2519
    Trading Score
    33 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by greencanuck View Post
    As a person who worked retail in the past, consumers should always check the packaging date expiry and package integrity.

    Staff do try to check expiry dates, but as more and more staff hours are cut, things like that slip by.

    That said, here is a website that discusses how long food is good past the expiry date:
    http://www.stilltasty.com/
    I get that you're grossed out by the expired taco kit, but it's probably completely safe for consumption, especially as you normally heat up everything in the kit before you use it (at least we do).

    As a literally starving student for many years, I am not squeamish about eating most things past the expiry date. I regularly eat expired yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, fruit juice (provided it's pasteurized), soy milk, eggs, etc. I don't like things to be ridiculously expired, but these dates are guidelines to cover companies' butts, not hard and fast rules about when a food goes bad.

    Then again, I also grew up with a hoarder mom who regularly made me sandwiches on slightly moldy bread and sent me to school with expired snack products (stale fruit snacks and cookies are gross, btw). She got really annoyed when I complained about things being stale/overripe/moldy, so I learned quickly to either shut up and eat or to ditch the food somewhere where it wouldn't be found. Maybe that's why I'm so lax about it now and realize that most - but not all - expiry dates are guidelines only.

    Heck, most foods nowadays are so full of salt and other preservatives they're probably perfectly safe even years later, like twinkies (It's not just an urban legend: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4780900).

  6. #21
    Smart Canuck missxhillary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    hamilton, ontario
    Posts
    1,526
    Likes Received
    1277
    Trading Score
    33 (100%)




    glowworm, i get a little bit past expiry... but 9 months? that's serious, i don't play with food like that.

  7. #22
    Mastermind Shwa Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    23,390
    Likes Received
    38851
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)




    Sorry about your experience at CT, OP.
    I'm getting kindof obsessed with checking these days.
    Even with last week's $1 milk special at various stores, I checked for the longest expiry before buying.
    Then before leaving the store, I check my receipt carefully.

    Sad that it has come to this, but with gas prices and bus fares so high (returns), I'm not taking a chance.

  8. #23
    Senior Canuck
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    London / Goderich, Ontario
    Posts
    962
    Likes Received
    389
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)



    Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Even with last week's $1 milk special at various stores, I checked for the longest expiry before buying.
    That is how I buy almost anything with an expiry date.
    Reeeeeeaach waaaaay back in the display and compare dates to get the longest shelf life.
    Speckled28 likes this.
    TRADING COUPONS: FOOD, DENTAL, SOAP / BODY WASH/DEODORANT, SPECIAL CREAMS, MAKEUP, HEALTH, AIR FRESHNERS, HAIRCOLOUR, CLEANING, HAIRCARE/ SHAMPOO, DIAPERS, SHAVING, PET, MEDICINE,LAUNDRY, STORES, LONDON BUSINESSES, FAST FOOD, BATTERYPRODUCTS, CHILDREN FOOD and TOY, SMOKING CESSATION and lots more ​!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •