User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: a hey and a question or two (hundred );)

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

hey all,
    currently I am living stateside and have a good stockpile( 6months of most things a year of non perishable) We are going to be moving back to canada after living down here for 5 years. I am sure I will have lots of questions but this is just to start.
    What would you stock up on that is hard to find or way to pricey in canada?
    what are you stock up prices on general use items? tp toothpaste?
    what stores are best to shop in?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

what is a "SCOP claims" ... from another thread...

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

is there anyone to give expired Canadian coupons to? ex military stationed over seas?

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

OMG i have been studying my arse off getting ready to head to the states so i am pretty well versed at this point. Lets out a long slow breath.... ok i have some bad news for you here.... we have NOTHING like Riteaid or Walgreens or CVS where your register rewards and catalinas can go up every week with planning and mulitple transactions. The high value toothpaste like the optic is hard to get for free ... we usually have to use overages to cover the gap. Yes i know just in the last couple weeks you were getting paid to take it out of the store with register rewards lol... so lucky! Tampons are hard to get for free here and now that our stacking is very limited it is hard to get laundry detergent for free. That Fat hair deal you guys had going on had me drooling. Items like kleenex and bum fluff (toilet paper) are extrodinarly hard to get for free here... sometimes kleenex but not much or often. Body wash we can get for free sometimes but we usually end up paying $1 for it in most cases...i have gotten some for free but it is a rare deal. Pain meds and shaving gels and razors usually end up with a oop cost. Shampoo and conditioner can cost as well... i get my shampoo for free but i pay for the conditioner i like because i am not allergic to it. Things like facial clensers can cost. Basicly you have to get used to a few things... the coupon values are higher but so is the cost of the product. We get 2 inserts a month on a average month, 1 redplum and 1 smartsource and every 3 months we get p&g. We have so much less printable coupons to work with you will be in shock... but target will be up here soon TG!!! There are circumstances where people have gotten the above stuff free but they are not happening as often now that we can't stack coupons like we used to. My walmart limits coupons to 5 coupons per item and type... so if i have 5 zest body wash coupons i can use them and if it is good on the bars of soap i can use another 5 on the soap as well. Today i picked up 4 bottles of shout stain remover for free... the big bottle not the spray bottle. We are getting some deals but you should bring some stock for certain.
    hottiemommadaly likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hottiemommadaly View Post
    what is a "SCOP claims" ... from another thread...

SCOP is scanning code of practice and it is a volitary code. Most stores go by scanning code of practice and what that means is... if a item is on the shelf for 2.99 and you go to the till and it comes up 3.59 that the item will be free. If the item exceeds $10 they give you a $10 discount off the advertized price.

There are many stores that i am unsure if they abide by the policy so you will need to check the stores in your area. However i do know that walmart does SCOP as does sobeys and canadian tire and loblaws or real canadian superstore.

Zellers is one of the few stores that does now go by this policy.

The code is in place to help keep retailers honest. http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...eng/01262.html This is a link showing the code and explaining it to you.

In regards to the last question i really don't know if there is a commisary we can send our expired coupons to. I have only heard of it when i research USA couponing.

LOL be careful about asking questions you just might get the awnsers! Happy couponing and i hope the move is smooth and fast

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

ohh my .. can we say border hoping will be a way of life.. ha ha. how are companies with write in for coupons? down here they are getting flooded because of the show(s). where in the states are you moving to if I may ask? my grocery storees does catalinas too. right now there is a deal on and i can get tp for 30 cents a roll.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

They do tax you for bringing food items back across the border. We don't have catalinas at our grocery stores. Regarding write-ins, it works for some people sometimes, and not other times. There is a thread where people report back on successes/failures of doing that. I think a lot of companies get flooded with requests here to because of the show. Also, people here tend to take full tearpads of coupons to sell them on eBay, so that's another thing you have to watch for, because you can end up with empty tearpads two hours after they're put out.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cmenard1 <- Join me on SwagBucks!!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

ohh my .. can we say border hoping will be a way of life.. ha ha. how are companies with write in for coupons? down here they are getting flooded because of the show(s). where in the states are you moving to if I may ask? my grocery storees does catalinas too. right now there is a deal on and i can get tp for 30 cents a roll.
    I am going to visit my boyfriend in Colorado. They have King Soopers, (they are a kroger company), Riteaid, Walgreens, CVS, and Safeways... the rest i will see about when i get there. Soopers prints off the catilina's on some items and doubles coupons, 3 like items with coupons doubled per customer... there will be no less then 2 of us shopping at a time so that will be no big deal for us... lol i am so going to have to hit a recycle bin to grab my initial coupons. If i ordered them from a service i would be stalking the mail man everyday... and i am watching all the sales now so i understand the sales cycles before i go.

There are some companies you can write or email or phone that send you coupons. If you google canadian companies to contact for coupons you will find a bunch.... not 250 like in the states... we are talking a list of under 30. I have had some great success with the companies i email.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for sharing.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    146 (100%)

What is a catilina? I live in a border city and have the option of cross border shopping when I want but I need to learn all the different savings ideas I can do over there. And I have to make it worth my while as the bridge toll will cost me $8US for a return trip. Right now though the savings on the gas alone is worth it.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    What is a catilina?
    Catalina Coupons refers to any coupons printed at the cash register when you complete a purchase at a store. They are often also referred to simply as “Catalinas”, “check-out coupons” or “register rewards”. They are printed by a Catalina machine, that sits right next to the cash register.

http://www..com/catalina-coupons/
    TRADING COUPONS: FOOD, DENTAL, SOAP / BODY WASH/DEODORANT, SPECIAL CREAMS, MAKEUP, HEALTH, AIR FRESHNERS, HAIRCOLOUR, CLEANING, HAIRCARE/ SHAMPOO, DIAPERS, SHAVING, PET, MEDICINE,LAUNDRY, STORES, LONDON BUSINESSES, FAST FOOD, BATTERYPRODUCTS, CHILDREN FOOD and TOY, SMOKING CESSATION and lots more ​!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

is there anyone to give expired Canadian coupons to? ex military stationed over seas?
    An expired coupon is an expired coupon why would myself or other service families want it?

The Canadian military has very few overseas postings. CANEX is nothing like the PX.

The military isn't as badly paid as the US.

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Unfortunately, as far as I know the policies are different here then the US.. I've been couponing for 5 years now and have never heard of this in canada, so I believe (unless someone knows otherwise) that coupons expire at the same time for all..
    pippinelkhound likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In the us service people posted overseas can use coupons up to six months past expiration at the base store. I send my expired overseas as a small way to help those that serve our country.
    Quote Originally Posted by pippinelkhound View Post
    An expired coupon is an expired coupon why would myself or other service families want it?

The Canadian military has very few overseas postings. CANEX is nothing like the PX.

The military isn't as badly paid as the US.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    What is a catilina? I live in a border city and have the option of cross border shopping when I want but I need to learn all the different savings ideas I can do over there. And I have to make it worth my while as the bridge toll will cost me $8US for a return trip. Right now though the savings on the gas alone is worth it.
    Catalina's are fabulous ....I have a store that fully doubles up to .99 meaning a coupon worth .99 would be 1.98 orthevalueof the item.this means that I often get items free or close to it. There are times that the company, ex foldgers will run a promotion that if I buy four foldgers products I will get a Catalina or store coupon to spen on a future purchase. Useually not huge money makers but enough to get arun orteointo the store.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information