User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: How much do the "Extreme Couponers" really save?

  1. #1
    Canadian Genius cheekysaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Spinning tunes and being happy!
    Age
    49
    Posts
    5,023
    Likes Received
    7623
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)




    3
    The show lets us have some false expectations about feeding a family for pennies on the dollar.

    I find that since i started couponing i am saving far more then i used to because i am now very aware of the prices that are the best and i know when to stock up and when to pass on a deal and let a coupon expire. I know i am saving about 30% with coupons but all of the other savings we are getting means we end up eating far better food for less.

    We are eating foods and purchasing products that we only got in times where we were making great money except now we are doing it on a lower income. We are saving about 40% off our grocery bill now and most of the savings starts with ad matching and stocking a bit when we find a deal.

    How much are you guys really saving? (I took the amount we spent on groceries before i got back into couponing)
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A


  2. #2
    Canadian Genius cheekysaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Spinning tunes and being happy!
    Age
    49
    Posts
    5,023
    Likes Received
    7623
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)




    Here is a link to Nathan's youtube channel where he shares the real deals and explains how much he really saves when he isn't on TLC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWTo3...hannel&list=UL

  3. #3
    Mastermind Shwa Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,862
    Likes Received
    37876
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    i am saving about 30% with coupons but all of the other savings we are getting means we end up eating far better food for less.

    How much are you guys really saving? (I took the amount we spent on groceries before i got back into couponing)
    Like you, we are saving about 30%. Some of the savings are without coupons, buying seasonal fruits and veggies.

  4. #4
    Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,158
    Likes Received
    12946
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)




    Now that we've moved to an area more expensive for food, (not a more expensive area) I have to coupon to get anywhere near what I used to pay for food. Even then, I still pay a lot more. Before I moved, I remember spending about $10 a week to feed just myself. There may have been an additional $5 to eat out for lunch or $7.50 if it was lunch + a take home dinner.

    Of course, I had to shop around a lot to get pricing like that and it sucked up a lot of time.

  5. #5
    Trade Mod FallenPixels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West of the Tdot
    Posts
    36,158
    Likes Received
    21118
    Trading Score
    173 (100%)




    I think 30% is about the norm, even the extreme couponers are buying a lot of stuff that you don't need that much of you dont many regular grocery brags from them
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!



  6. #6
    Smart Canuck
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,163
    Likes Received
    1746
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)




    With family members being on a wheat & dairy free diet, there's not much room to use coupons as I cook all our meals from scratch. The foods I buy that I are the most processed are canned tomatoes, canned beans, non-dairy milk (soy, almond), and vegan margarine. Unfortunately, none of these items ever have coupons available. Couponing has opened my eyes to looking at sales and stocking up when prices get low.

    Non-food items, however, are another story. I'm still using the stockpile of toiletries that I got for nearly free last year.
    glowworm2k and sarah_cio like this.

  7. #7
    Trade Mod FallenPixels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West of the Tdot
    Posts
    36,158
    Likes Received
    21118
    Trading Score
    173 (100%)




    There are a lot of non dairy milk coupons out, not easily found tearpads, but they exist

    Aylmer tomatoes have coupons for canned veg/tomatoes too
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!



  8. #8
    Smart Canuck MillieH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Niagara Region
    Posts
    4,747
    Likes Received
    7410
    Trading Score
    167 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    With family members being on a wheat & dairy free diet, there's not much room to use coupons as I cook all our meals from scratch. The foods I buy that I are the most processed are canned tomatoes, canned beans, non-dairy milk (soy, almond), and vegan margarine. Unfortunately, none of these items ever have coupons available. Couponing has opened my eyes to looking at sales and stocking up when prices get low.
    Non-food items, however, are another story. I'm still using the stockpile of toiletries that I got for nearly free last year.

    You really need to look around.. there are some great coupons for Soy & Almond milk , bananas, , I've also seen coupons for beans and tomatoes.. A tip for you, collect cereal coupons for the cereals that have pins for FREE soy & almond milk, bananas, tea... wait for the cereal to go on sale. Buy the cereal, use the pin code to get the free product and then Donate the cereal to a local food bank or breakfast program. In the past 4 months I've donated over 100 boxes of cereal to our local breakfast program.. However this time around I am getting a gift for doing so.. The cereal is on sale right now for 2.97 .. I have coupons for $2 off.. so for .97 I get a box of cereal someof which I eat, some I donate and 3.99 off soy or almond milk, 5.99 off Tetley tea, 1.69 off bananas.. If you paid $3 for the cereal that would mean you'd only get $1 off your milk but thats 25% savings.. if you have coupons and can get it for .97.. its amazing savings plus you help others

    If you save your receipts when you buy the cereal and you donate a fair amount they may also give you a tax receipt. the coordinator of the program where I donate offered me a tax receipt after I hit the 80 box donation mark.. I hadnt save the receipts though. I think I will start now.




    Some people are actually trading these pins, I have 6 listed right now depending on what I can get for them. If I get a good offer I'll take it, or I'll just order more tea.

    You can also check out the hamb helper.. when they are 1.47 a box with a $3 hamb coupon.. the first time around it would cost you $3 for the hamb but after that it would cost you 1.50.. you could pass the HH contents on to someone who would use it. that would make your Hamb at half price..
    Last edited by MillieH; Tue, May 1st, 2012 at 02:49 AM.
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

    Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

  9. #9
    Smart Canuck
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,163
    Likes Received
    1746
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by MillieH View Post
    A tip for you, collect cereal coupons for the cereals that have pins for FREE soy & almond milk, bananas, tea... wait for the cereal to go on sale. Buy the cereal, use the pin code to get the free product and then Donate the cereal to a local food bank or breakfast program.
    Where do you get these coupons? I've never come across them.

  10. #10
    Senior Canuck
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    London / Goderich, Ontario
    Posts
    962
    Likes Received
    389
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)



    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    Where do you get these coupons? I've never come across them.
    Look at the Kellogg's cereal boxes in any store.
    There are also free juice coupon PINs on other boxes.
    TRADING COUPONS: FOOD, DENTAL, SOAP / BODY WASH/DEODORANT, SPECIAL CREAMS, MAKEUP, HEALTH, AIR FRESHNERS, HAIRCOLOUR, CLEANING, HAIRCARE/ SHAMPOO, DIAPERS, SHAVING, PET, MEDICINE,LAUNDRY, STORES, LONDON BUSINESSES, FAST FOOD, BATTERYPRODUCTS, CHILDREN FOOD and TOY, SMOKING CESSATION and lots more ​!!

  11. #11
    Smart Canuck
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,163
    Likes Received
    1746
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)




    What are the brand of these coupons? Where do you get them? I can't say I've come across them.

    I also don't understand the logic of buying a box of cereal for $2.97 to get a $1 off soy milk (soy milk is usually priced between $3.99 and $4.49 in my area, so $3.99 coupons wouldn't exist unless the coupon was for more than 2.). The cereal most likely contains wheat, so we wouldn't be buying it to start with. It means spending $2.97 for the cereal, plus $3.99 for the soy milk minus $1.00, so the total expense is $5.96 to keep the milk and donate the cereal. Even with the $2.00 coupon on the cereal, the total now comes down to $3.96 (2.97-2.00+3.99-$1.00), 3 pennies cheaper than what I'd pay for the soy milk without coupons.

  12. #12
    Trade Mod FallenPixels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West of the Tdot
    Posts
    36,158
    Likes Received
    21118
    Trading Score
    173 (100%)




    Special K or Bran Flakes definitely have them - but there are various cereals with different coupons on them

    You buy the cereal, and inside is a PIN that you enter on their site, choose one of the FPCs to be mailed to you.

    I already got several boxes of free tea from Special K
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!



  13. #13
    CaNewbie alicelases's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    7
    Likes Received
    0
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)


    Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    Special K or Bran Flakes definitely have them - but there are various cereals with different coupons on them

    You buy the cereal, and inside is a PIN that you enter on their site, choose one of the FPCs to be mailed to you.

    I already got several boxes of free tea from Special K
    Hi, I do this just like you explain it but some problems are occurred i am not able to reach their so please guide me for using this coupon.

  14. #14
    Canadian Genius Insane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    6,751
    Likes Received
    4625
    Trading Score
    86 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    What are the brand of these coupons? Where do you get them? I can't say I've come across them.

    I also don't understand the logic of buying a box of cereal for $2.97 to get a $1 off soy milk (soy milk is usually priced between $3.99 and $4.49 in my area, so $3.99 coupons wouldn't exist unless the coupon was for more than 2.). The cereal most likely contains wheat, so we wouldn't be buying it to start with. It means spending $2.97 for the cereal, plus $3.99 for the soy milk minus $1.00, so the total expense is $5.96 to keep the milk and donate the cereal. Even with the $2.00 coupon on the cereal, the total now comes down to $3.96 (2.97-2.00+3.99-$1.00), 3 pennies cheaper than what I'd pay for the soy milk without coupons.
    I think you misunderstood....you buy the cereal for $2.97 (-coupon if you have) and on that box there is a pin code to redeem for a FREE soy/almond milk. So you end up with cereal and free soy/amond milk. If you aren't going to eat the cereal you could then donate it meaning in essence you paid $2.97 fo your soy/almond milk.
    MillieH likes this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

    Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

  15. #15
    Canadian Genius wolfwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    8,485
    Likes Received
    17653
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)




    I'm saving about 30% as well. But we are eating better with the savings,more fresh fruits and vegs. And we've been able to stock up on the basics, TP, etc

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •