User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Err'd at people stealing groceries on the bottom rack of the cart

Trading Score
    205 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    Question.....were you right there beside them in line, or is this something you observed? A lot of the stores have the codes for products like pop, cat litter, dog food.....things that are heavy, on a sheet of paper at the til so that they do not have to lift the item off the belt and scan it or leave the cash to walk around and scan the item with the hand held scanner.
    That is what I was thinking too. I always leave my 24pk pop cases under the cart and ask the cashier if she needs to scan them. Most stores have the scan codes by the till. I hope this was the case because theft really makes me mad!!
    I am looking for quick trades for my pre-surgery stock up!

Updated TL/WL HERE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I'm sure a lot of people do this on purpose...but..i did this once when i went shopping in the states and obviously it was an accident. I forgot about my case of powerade all together and not only did i forget to pay for it i forgot to load in my car as well. So needless to say, someone in the parking lot got a free case or the cart collectors found it and put it back.LOL..i didn't even realize till the next day when i thought..."where is my powerade??"

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

at Walmart we always get stopped by the greeter before we go outside if we have something on the bottom of the cart.
    They ask for a receipt to check if that item has been scanned.

Trading Score
    35 (100%)

I actually had a very bad encounter last year at Walmart with 2 custom,ers who were stealing and when I went and told staff they were stealing the man threatened to punch me in the face....the police were called and they were taken away but it was a scary experience....next time i will be discreet when letting staff know....

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Sure there are people who steal but mistakes happen and I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt. This past saturday at SDM I forgot all about 6 cases of diet pepsi. Which is histerical considering the size of their carts. The cashier didn't notice either. The only reason I remembered was because she gave me my total before coupons and it wasn't enough for the 18500 pts. I was like that cant be right I've add this 20 times, that total is wrong it should be more. She looked at me like I was crazy! Then I turned to my cart and realized it was filled with the pepsi and i forgot to tell her.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

You were at the cash and they threatened to punch you in the face? Did you accuse them of stealing? Or did you just tell the cashier she had missed the item on the bottom of the cart? You have to be careful of what you accuse people of. Did they get taken away for stealing or did they get arrested for threatening you?

Anyway, you are right, people can be scary douchebags so be careful. I would never accuse someone of "stealing" because you can get yourself in a dangerous situation.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkie View Post
    I actually had a very bad encounter last year at Walmart with 2 custom,ers who were stealing and when I went and told staff they were stealing the man threatened to punch me in the face....the police were called and they were taken away but it was a scary experience....next time i will be discreet when letting staff know....
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kaylamcd View Post
    I've seen people do this as well, and it's such a tricky situation, because some people will immediately jump down your throat if you sound like you're suggesting they were going to steal it in any way.

But I like the idea of asking how a certain brand of pet food is. Which would also work with pop (some times), but definitely not with things like water!
    You could always say that their case of water reminds you that you were supposed to get water too. If they expect you to go get it, say you don't have time and you'll get it next time.
    kaylamcd likes this.

Trading Score
    141 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    Question.....were you right there beside them in line, or is this something you observed? A lot of the stores have the codes for products like pop, cat litter, dog food.....things that are heavy, on a sheet of paper at the til so that they do not have to lift the item off the belt and scan it or leave the cash to walk around and scan the item with the hand held scanner.
    Both times we were right behind the customer at the same cashier... for heavy iteams they have a carry scanner at this WM

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    138 (100%)

please remember the kind of people who would do this might not be scared to do something to you. i would be very careful to not get into a really bad situation. especially in a small community... i'm not by any means saying its okay, but i would just let the store deal wiht it. they might get away with it that time, but they will be caught!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

The complete opposite thing happened to a friend of mine.
    My friend and her boyfriend didn't have a car, so they'd do their shopping at a nearby small grocery store, only buying what they really needed and could carry home.
    They finally got a car, and went to a big grocery store that first weekend. They loaded up their cart. At the bottom of the cart was the case of 24-beers, to celebrate the new car.
    They payed for ALL their purchases, including the beer.
    When they got home they realized they forgot to load the beer into their car. It stayed in their cart in the parking lot.

Trading Score
    424 (100%)

I have done this before and had to go back in. I remember being surprised that the cashier didn't notice it either. I think it is very easy to do especially when you are distracted (pricematching and using coupons in a busy walmart with a line up behind you and 2 little ones in the cart). I try not to use the bottom of the cart for this reason.

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that use this method to try to steal. And a variety of other methods that we don't notice.

I think you could casually (and politely) say "oh, don't forget your dog food" without anyone taking offense or immediately assuming you are accusing them of stealing.

Trading Score
    35 (100%)

actually in my case i had witness them taking things from the bottom of their cart and putting it into bags and the guy walked out and came back and they started to do the same thing again before they got to the cash so I did let staff know and the couple heard me...that is when things got real bad.....they were both charged with theft but the guy was also charged for threatening bodily harm...

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I always leave stuff on the bottom of my cart. But I shop at the store where i work, so everyone knows me. I also scan my own stuff on the bottom for the cashier. And again, I stop at the greeter and show my receipt.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by super_e View Post
    The complete opposite thing happened to a friend of mine.
    My friend and her boyfriend didn't have a car, so they'd do their shopping at a nearby small grocery store, only buying what they really needed and could carry home.
    They finally got a car, and went to a big grocery store that first weekend. They loaded up their cart. At the bottom of the cart was the case of 24-beers, to celebrate the new car.
    They payed for ALL their purchases, including the beer.
    When they got home they realized they forgot to load the beer into their car. It stayed in their cart in the parking lot.
    I shouldn't laugh but thats such a funny story!! Did they go back to see if it was still there?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lekate View Post
    Just make a friendly comment, "did you need help lifting the dog food for the cashier?", or "don't forget the dog food!", by not saying something it hurts the company's bottom line, which is reflected in price increases!
    True.

Or the moment they leave and you come to the cashier, you can mention that she forgot to scan so and so product..so that she can turn around and call them back to scan that product..that way you avoid talking to the customer directly if you don't want to , and let the store handle it instead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information