User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: What's in YOUR food?

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

The other day I was enjoying my Diet Crush Cream Soda and glanced at the label on the can when I saw the words: Quillaia Extract. Unaware of what this was as I'd never seen it before I looked it up and to my surprise (although it shouldn't be) it is a known Carcinogen but as a food additive it "seems" safe. Ummm yeah, seems safe is NOT good enough for me when I'm putting it in my body and it can cause cancer. Like really?!

So then tonight I saw an article about Starbucks using Cochineal extract or Carmine in some of their drinks. Intrigued I looked it up to see what it was and what it was used for and in. Ewwwwwwwwwww. Carmine is a red food colouring harvested from dried, ground beetles of the female cochineal beetle. Carmine or Cochineal extract, is a dye used in a variety of foods such as candy, yogurt, ice cream and beverages as well as some medications and cosmetics. Oftentimes this is simply listed as "colour added" and the name isn't listed. Hungry yet?

This thread is currently associated with: Starbucks
    Last edited by TaraF; Wed, Mar 28th, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
    ninna likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

hey, you can't get more natural than that lol!

i knew there was a reason i didn't like red food coloring
    TaraF, Abby5 and krysta lynne like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I'm mega-careful about what we buy, and am an avid label reader. But you know, you have to pick your battles.

About the red colouring - hey, at least it's 'natural'!!! Used in lots of foods, some medicines, and cosmetics, too.

We use nothing with artificial sweeteners - such as the splenda/sucralose in your diet pop. Not enough studies done on that, too many negative side effects possible - from stomach upsets to neurological symptoms.

In the end, we make our best choices on what we know. When I know better, I do better.
    Lua, GoJays and glowworm2k like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

See Natalka what I find so freaking irritating is that people truly aren't given the option sometimes to make that decision for themselves. If I look at a label and see the words, "added colour" or even "carmine", how am I to know what that is? Not everyone is on the computer or knows how to search one. Further to that, in my opinion anything that is deemed a carcinogen should NOT be included in something that is for human consumption, I mean really?

I use to read labels but after my own meet and greet with brain cancer I am anal retentive about labels and if I find that something is deemed a carcinogen or a cancer feeder than I drop it like it's the plague. I completely agree with your last statement and it's why I'm glad I am on the internet and read alot so I can learn more about the crap that is in food and make an informed choice on whether to consume it or avoid it. For instance, Danone Strawberry Yogurt contains carmine, had no clue before what it was, but at least now I feel a bit more informed.
    Last edited by TaraF; Thu, Mar 29th, 2012 at 12:12 AM.
    Zia_Stephie likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I'm not sure what isn't a potential carcinogen. Air and water are, and we wouldn't last too long without them. They're in everything.

It's all risk management. Something is going to kill us, or we'll die anyway.

I blame it all on the NDP.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

2 words - PINK SLIME
    radgurl likes this.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I really, really try not to eat anything packaged. I have a sensitivity/allergy (not sure what to call it) to diet sweeteners. Depending on the sweetener (splenda, aspartame, xylitol, etc.), I get stiffness in my spine, neck and jaw that lasts for a day or so at the mild end, to migraine headaches where I am vomiting, sensitive to light and sound, and where my body feels like I've been beaten with a crowbar. Since I started having those reactions, I've tried to eliminate processed stuff from my food supply. I don't drink pop (If I'm out and about or at a restaurant, I bring a bottle of tap water with me and in my splurge moments might spring for a perrier if I want a treat), try not to eat crackers, chips, cookies, frozen processed anything, or stuff that is overly refined. My one weakness is all bran original - there's BHT in the packaging and that bothers me, but I am really, really, really hooked on that stuff...

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I absolutely refuse to consume anything that has artificial sweetener in it and I will NOT give it to my children. I don't drink pop and the kids only get it very seldom for a treat, they never ask for it. To quote Nat "We use nothing with artificial sweeteners - such as the splenda/sucralose in your diet pop. Not enough studies done on that, too many negative side effects possible - from stomach upsets to neurological symptoms."
    I agree 100% with you, I know we're all going to go eventually, but why quicken things up by consuming something we don't know all that much about?
    Natalka, KK7, Abby5 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    I absolutely refuse to consume anything that has artificial sweetener in it and I will NOT give it to my children. I don't drink pop and the kids only get it very seldom for a treat, they never ask for it. To quote Nat "We use nothing with artificial sweeteners - such as the splenda/sucralose in your diet pop. Not enough studies done on that, too many negative side effects possible - from stomach upsets to neurological symptoms."
    I agree 100% with you, I know we're all going to go eventually, but why quicken things up by consuming something we don't know all that much about?
    Sounds like my house. The only time there is pop around is if I'm sick (ginger ale) or sometimes if company is coming over. I've heard those questions about artificial sweeteners too so we stay away from them. I think though, with a few exceptions, when it comes to food/treats the "in moderation" guideline seems to work well, at least for us.
    GoJays likes this.
    Earn Gift Cards With Me Click the link below
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/erin9mmm

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    2 words - PINK SLIME
    Patty...EWWWWWWWWW! I read recently that the company that makes the slime shut down due to concerns recently and all the media attention it's received.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post

Of course you do. I kid, I kid lol
    Last edited by TaraF; Thu, Mar 29th, 2012 at 10:55 AM.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I stay away from most processed foods, very rarely drink pop (or juice - very few of your calories should come from drinks!). And most everything I make at home is from scratch!
    TaraF and Abby5 like this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I'm not sure what isn't a potential carcinogen. Air and water are, and we wouldn't last too long without them. They're in everything.

It's all risk management. Something is going to kill us, or we'll die anyway.

Sigh...Dave, Dave....tsk, tsk, tsk....

But on one point, at least, you are right...it's all risk management. My Mother lived to 92 having artificial sweetners in her coffee and tea every day, so it doesn't frighten me, and I use Sweet'N-Low in mine, also. I don't consume Pop (maybe a MountainDew if I crave it), but hubby does, and although I tell him that, as Dr Oz (and others) say: if you drink coke, you'll never be healthy...does he listen? Nope. So we make our choices and know that whatever they are, we live with the consequences.

We all have to die of something! It's just that some people make it easier to do that, others not so much.

We have made better decisions the past 10 years or so...cut down drastically on processed (deli) meats, etc, but that doesn't mean that some days hot dogs or bacon aren't on the menu!
    I guess I just believe in everything in moderation...but some things are definitely off limits...

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Just saw on the news this morning a piece about Starbucks. A worker there was letting some friends know online that SB recently changed its formulation for smoothies, etc. - the drinks which use a strawberry prepared syrup. The new one they use has the crushed beetles for colouring - the worker was letting her friends know since those items aren't vegan.
    The company's response for using it was that it was moving to ingredients which were more natural.

When I get an urge for a smoothie - like twice a year maybe, I go to a place where I can see them put the whole fruit and ingredients in right in front of me.

Of course this topic in general, as others have said, is all about choices and preferences. Similar to what Lynn said, we definitely eat differently - hopefully better - than we did 10 years ago.
    It's give and take and, yes, sometimes justifying.... but every day is a new day!

About SB
    http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/shin...XN0Aw--;_ylv=3
    Last edited by Natalka; Thu, Mar 29th, 2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: added link

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    2 words - PINK SLIME
    Yup, another reason I'm very grateful to be living in Canada - no pink slime past the border!!! No ammonia in our ground beef.

I do wish, though, that there wouldn't be any mechanically separated meat (used in frozen foods) - I buy nothing with that listed on the label. But then again, some 'mystery meat' is kinda tasty (I do like McNuggets once a year, lol!).
    Patty Smyth and GoJays like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Now see Natalka, there needs to be full disclosure for reasons such as those that wish to partake of a vegan diet or really just for allergies in general. At least tell me that you're using ground bugs, or ammonia in your products and if I choose to buy them than fine, I do so knowing what's in it, but not giving me the option to make a complete and informed choice bothers me.

I'm thankful I have the internet and know how to use it so that I can look up these 21 letter words and things I've never heard of to see if it's something i want to consume.
    Last edited by TaraF; Thu, Mar 29th, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
    xox2010 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information