User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have some oil canvas paintings I'd like to frame. A few of them are small (around the size of a standard letter page) and these ones are flat. The bigger ones though are on an actual canvas like this one at the front:
    Name:  Canvases-six.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  16.6 KB

Obviously getting it professionally done is very expensive and I'm not looking for a fancy frame, it doesn't even need to have a glass cover since it's an oil painting. I'm just looking for something very basic, cheaper is better since I have more than one. I think a wooden frame would look fine especially since you can paint it to match the colour of the painting or room. For the smaller ones, good old IKEA will probably work since I saw some nice frames there but the bigger ones are the problem.

Thanks
    This thread is currently associated with: IKEA

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Try Home Sense or Michaels in your area and see what pre-made frames they have available. Michael's often published flyers with a 40% off coupon.

Another option is to try some of the DIY framing places and learn how to do it yourself. Mind you, it is cheaper than having them do the whole thing, but in the end, it's not as cheap as you think when you supply the labour.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

If you are at all handy, you can try constructing the frame parts yourself out of wood mouldings. You have to be fairly good at mitering the corners in order to fit them properly, but it would be a fraction of the price of a frame shop, especially if you have multiply paintings to do. If the painting is small enough, you might want to take it to Home Depot and put it up next to the different wood mouldings to see what fits and what you like.

Make sure to have the flat sides of the canvas as smooth as possible (no bumps) so there isn't a huge gap between it and the moulding. To construct the frame, the wood pieces were nailed in place with finishing nails, filled with putty and sanded...prime the wood and then paint them.

Here is one painting from my university days that my husband framed using this method. If you notice, there is a slightly rounded edge on the outside...you can also buy the flat pieces of wood, but I liked this effect better:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm gonna try Homesense and Michael's.

I don't actually have a Mitre but how hard is it to cut those pieces? They seem fairly small/thin so would a saw work?

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Another vote for Michael's, watch their flyer for 20-40% off coupons for frames too
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Thread Information