User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Ami1984
  • 3 Post By K8's Fate

Thread: Doctor not informing me properly

Trading Score
    30 (97%)

So about 9 weeks about I decided that it was time for me to get off my anti-anxiety medication Paxil, The doctor started weaning me off slowly which is suppose to be done. The first cut on my medication, I actually didn't feel anything. The second cut on my medication I was a MESS! I had to call in to work 5 days in a row and was so embarrassed about it I just ended up quitting ( was only there for 3 months and felt like the rumours were flying). Anyway needless to say those three weeks were hell, I was achy, felt like I had the flu, and just plain miserable and anxious. So I thought to myself I am just going to stop taking these meds altogether.
    The first week was terrible after not taking them so I got on-line and found this site dedicated to quitting Paxil and I was floored. The side affects for quitting Paxil were crazy, The site is all based on peoples own experience and advice from people that are going through or have made it through the worst 6 weeks of their lives. It is practically like getting off of street drugs but not as intense but for 6 weeks of withdraw.
    The things also that I found out this specific drug causes people to do (this is researched information not based on personal experience) It can cause people to abuse alcohol, drugs, and money. It can make you gain tons of weight ( I gained 40-60 LBS. in 6-8 months). It can cause you to want to hurt other people and or your self. The list goes on and on.

I am so mad that this was just given to me to take and not better discussed with me, or that my doctor did not prepare me for any of the with drawl symptoms.

I really just needed to get this off my chest, because I am having one of those days where I am just

P.S I do think this drug can be helpful just not for me, So if your on this drug and it helps you, Please don't think you should get off of it.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    anastasia1009 and sharkie like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Sorry that you are dealing with this, Sending you some virtual hugs and support
    Couponing Since 2011

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

About 8 yrs ago after my husband passed away I decided to go on celexa and while on it I was hyper, every time I drank little alcohol I threw up, zero sex drive and instead of gaining weight I lost 10 pounds and I am 5ft10 135 pounds. I was like you and read about it then I was like I can't take it anymore and I missed my sex drive. My dr was useless and didn't tell me how bad withdrawal was but I knew because my sister has been on and off numerous drugs and her withdrawals have gotten to the point of mental ward for days.

I had lightning bolts hit the top of my head right to the floor and then shaking so badly. I couldn't sleep so I got valium then I hated that feeling inside me so badly I started cutting myself to release the pain. I have been addicted to meth in the past and I swear stopping meth was easy compared to celexa.

Paxil is such an old school and why would a doctor still prescribe that when there are so many better drugs out there that don't have such harsh side effects.

Sending you tonnes of virtual hugs and it does get better and the brain does learn to bounce back.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I'm sorry to hear of your health problems. Did your pharmacist not provide you with the drug information when you filled your prescription (paper copy)? This is a mandatory practice in Ontario, and a brief consultation happens as well when starting a new medication. The paper information outlines side effects and other pertinent information. I would follow up with your pharmacist if this vital information was not disclosed when your prescription was filled. Good luck
    SFARAZ, anastasia1009 and maribel like this.
    ......SEARCH USING SWAGBUCKS!.....
    ..................EARN $$$ FAST!..................
    .............Join using my referral..............
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/K8sFate

Trading Score
    30 (97%)

Quote Originally Posted by glamorousgirl View Post
    Sorry that you are dealing with this, Sending you some virtual hugs and support
    Thank you, I am glad I have SC community to have the support

Trading Score
    30 (97%)

Sending you tonnes of virtual hugs and it does get better and the brain does learn to bounce back.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I am glad I read about it, because if I didn't I would have thought this is how I was going to be without it, Now I am practically counting down the days based on the longest time it takes to be entirely out of my system

Trading Score
    30 (97%)

Quote Originally Posted by K8's Fate View Post
    I'm sorry to hear of your health problems. Did your pharmacist not provide you with the drug information when you filled your prescription (paper copy)? This is a mandatory practice in Ontario, and a brief consultation happens as well when starting a new medication. The paper information outlines side effects and other pertinent information. I would follow up with your pharmacist if this vital information was not disclosed when your prescription was filled. Good luck
    I was advised of the side affects on it, but the doctor didn't even let me know that there was going to be with draw, I thought that him weaning me off was going to prevent that from happening.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

hugs

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I had to quit Cipralex and Trazadone overnight (was put on Oxycodone for a broken foot) and the very top of the print out said "DO NOT TAKE WITH TRAZADONE OR OTHER ANTI-DEPRESSANTS. I was on that for 2 months so my withdrawal period was slightly different (I was depressed, but that could have been exacerbated by being confined to a couch for the summer, and the Oxycodone made me high). I'm glad I never went back on them though.

Goodluck! Unless you really need to be on these products you're just filling the pockets of Big Pharma!
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Sorry to here about your experience! I think your doctor should have informed you before hand. My doctor always tells me the side effects of any medication I take. Even if it is the smallest thing. And the doctor should do that.

Trading Score
    35 (100%)

many hugs to you...I am so sorry you had to go throught this horrible experience

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I'm sorry to hear you are having such difficulties, am sending you big hugs {{{HUGS}}} Unfortunately, in todays busy world, we just expect our physicians to give us the correct meds or tell us what we need to know. NO....they are so busy themselves things often go unsaid. As a proactive person that has to take many, many meds, it is my business to know every drug I have to take, the side effects of them, what happens if they are mixed with other meds I take and so on. We are responsible for our own bodies, and I never rely on what someone tells me without asking a ton of questions. If a new drug is ever presented to me and suggested I take it, you should always have a list of generic questions you should ask. Some of these questions should be...what are the side effects? will it have any adverse effects on my body? what about mixing it with my other meds? what are the withdrawl symptoms? how long do I need to take it? is there anything out that, newer that may be better with less side effects? We need to take charge of our own health, never leave it to others. Also, your pharmacy should be including an imformation statement when you get your meds. It is always so very important to read these, and if you have any questions, call your pharmacist and ask them.

Again, sorry to hear you are going through so much trouble with getting off your meds, don't be affraid to talk to your pharmacist for help. I hope you have a better day today
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Thread Information