User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shmeelady

Thread: Potty Training Little Boys

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

Alright, so DS is 13 months. For his birthday he got this awesome little Cars potty that makes a 'vroooom' noise when you flush the little handle. He is obsessed with it! He's always lifting the lid and inspecting every inch of it, and he tries as much as he can to sit on it. I keep it out and around so that he see's it everyday.

Now part two of this whole shebang...

I recently switched DS over to size 5 diapers, the size 4's just were not cutting it anymore! He outgrew the aborbency and as soon as he pee'd it would go straight through the diaper. Now he was in the slip on huggies for about 5 months before that, and since changing him over to size 5 I've found that the slip on's don't fit well and hang down too much. So I rotated stock and am trying to use up all of the size 5 regular tab diapers first. Now there is one problem with the tab diapers, I can't keep DS in them!! Seriously he is constantly trying to undo his diapers. Since it's been hot out I try to let him run around in a T shirt and diaper but within 5 minutes of no pants he has his diaper undone. I had to go out and purchase a bunch of onesies (haven't used them since he was like 9 months!) just to stop him from pulling off the tabs.

Now the question here is...

What age did you mommies start potty training your boys? Is it too early for me to start trying?
    Any advice and/or tips would be very helpful!
    This thread is currently associated with: Huggies

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Probably never too soon to start trying. But we never had any real success until DS was nearly three.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

They all have their own time. My mother said we were all trained shortly after turning one, but my doctor said Mom was trained more so than baby. She said she trained us by holding us over the potty and making "sh-sh" sounds to simulate tinkle noise. Lol.

I certainly wouldn't push it. If he seems interested, then you can show him how. I found pee-training was much easier than poo-training. When he's ready, you might want to have hubby show him how it's done. Sometimes they show interest because it is something new, but when it becomes work, then they lose interest. Good luck to you.

damp is a gross word.
    Trading Score
    263 (100%)

Naked & outside with a potty nearby is ideal. Floating cheerios in the toilet are awesome targets for boys who need to improve their aim...most do. Offer potty books and toys that can only be held while sitting on potty/toilet. Early toilet training is more often a reflection of the parents intuition, rather than the childs maturity. On average most boys are over 24 mo when they have a weeks worth of dry days. I have a friend who spent every playdate rushing her under 24mo back & forth to the potty. Poor kid spent more time on the toilet than socializing. Some kids (mine) couldnt have cared less what they were sitting in, and simply shrugged at any mention of using the toilet until they were +24mo. I wish you luck!!

FT: AYLMER ACCENTS / LEAN CUISINE / LYSOL HANDSOAP / GOLD BOND and more
    ? Are you curious ? My quest to separate cheese from bras in the Deals & Flyers Forum

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

Thanks for the tips!

I decided to give it a try, I mean I am not going to push him into it if he's not ready but it doesn't hurt to get him used to it!
    This morning we were getting ready to go to the DR's and I left him in just his diaper while I fed him breakfast. Well he was standing at the staircase with a red face and was starting to pull off his diaper tabs. Since I knew he was going to poop I took off his diaper and sat him on the potty. Well of course the dog got curious and came over to sniff out the situation which totally distracted DS!! Within 5 minutes he had a poop. I wiped his bum and showed him that he pooped inside, then I said "you did it!!". Of course he got all proud and started clapping and going "aaaaay!!" (he always does that when he puts his megablocks together, or puts shapes in his tupperware octogon thingy,lol.)

I know I have a long road ahead of me with training, but I take this as a good thing! At least now he knows that pooping in the potty is a good thing that will get him praised!

He only has one poop a day and it's usually in the mornings, so I am going to try (keyword here) and do the potty thing if I can get to him before he actually poops. lol.
    krysta lynne likes this.

damp is a gross word.
    Trading Score
    263 (100%)

!
    thats great! Keep it positive and you can't go wrong!

FT: AYLMER ACCENTS / LEAN CUISINE / LYSOL HANDSOAP / GOLD BOND and more
    ? Are you curious ? My quest to separate cheese from bras in the Deals & Flyers Forum

Trading Score
    89 (100%)

My DD is 13 months and i was wondering same thing... sometime i can make out from her face is she is pooping in the dipper but sometimes its just clueless....

Thread Information