User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: OMG!!! OMG!!!! OMG!!!! OMG!!!! I DID IT!!! I got my license!!!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    im giong to be doing that with my son. esp when it comes to corners. he has a hard time not overturning corners.. so im going to take him to a parkling lot behind us and practise around the medians in it.
    btw. im sure you'll do awesome!
    He might be scared to move forward too much when turning. One of my friends was like that until I told her moving forward before turning does not mean she'll hit the car that's waiting to pass in front of her (let's say she's turning right and there's a car on the stop sign to her right going straight to the left). I literally had to force her straight and tell her when to fully turn the wheel. Otherwise, she would turn it right away and not give herself enough room from the curb thus the back wheel would go over it.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

If you can visit the test centre beforehand and follow a couple of cars that are doing the tests , you will be familiar with the route.

The examiners almost always follow a pre determined route . So you will know where all the traffic lights are , stop signs are ! What the speed limit is etc.

The main thing is DO NOT SPEED , know the speed limit on the roads they take you on , like if its 50 , 60 etc.

Do not make a rolling stop at a stop sign , make a complete stop for atleast 2-3 seconds and look left right before proceeding.

Also look left and right everytime you go through an intersection , also check your blind spot , mirrors everytime you make a lane change or move out of a parked spot.

Check your mirrors constantly every 10 seconds or so and make it obvious, while driving.

Put your parking brake on everytime they ask you to park and turn the wheels in the appropriate direction.

Always signal each and every turn and while moving out of a parked spot.

Also put your emergency flashers on if they ask you to make a emergency roadside stop.

EXAGGERATE all your motions like checking your blind spot , checking your mirrors etc so that the examiner actually sees you doing them.

Look out for yield signs , cross walk signs , school zones ( very low speed limit ) , railway crossing ( look left right before you go over the tracks )

Keep a lot of gap between our car and the car in front of you , don't follow too closely.

Also focus on Pedestrians when taking any turns , make sure they have completely crossed before initiating any turns.

All the above things are obvious things which we take for granted while driving , but the examiners make a big deal out of it.

Usually they will ask you :

3 point turn ( signal appropriately )
    Parallel parking
    Regular parking ..usually they ask you to back in as opposed to front in parking
    Roadside emergency stop , where you pull over to the side.
    Grey, DiamondLil and DaveP like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    a few tips my son was told. he's going in a few weeks as well for his.
    making light conversation first is a good thing.. comment on the weather.. sometimes that just breaks the ice..
    make sure you put your seatbelt on right away. adjust your mirrors.. USE them ALOT.. like constantly check your mirrors.. never second guess a decision.. if your think you should look 2x in the mirror before changing lanes.. do it..
    KNOW the speed limits in your city without posting.. as long as you know your not speeding.. but going to slow is not good either..
    questions never hurt either.. better to ask now while they can be properly answered and addressed.
    be sure of yourself.. don't get cauky.(sp?).. just be sure. get tons of practise in parking lots if it helps.. im giong to be doing that with my son. esp when it comes to corners. he has a hard time not overturning corners.. so im going to take him to a parkling lot behind us and practise around the medians in it.
    btw. im sure you'll do awesome!
    Tell him to never brake and turn at the same time. Slow down beforehand while taking the turn. Never take turns while going too fast . Also hand over hand wheel turning helps in Easier turning

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Do they take you on the highway or something for this test ? If so don't forget to accelerate on the on ramp..never merge at a lower speed than the highway traffic. Usually the highway trafiic is doing atleast 100 if not more.
    DiamondLil likes this.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

[QUOTE=slayer_glade;4671763Do you & whoever you usually drive with have free time before your test? You can go to the testing area, park somewhere and wait for a car that's doing the test. You just follow them and you'll see the route (or one of the routes) they take. I took lessons and my instructor took me there to see the route beforehand and give pointers. They told me I could go back and follow someone else. I did. It helped quite a bit. Just keep your distance or stay in another lane so you don't freak out the person doing the test :D

You can also just go to the building and drive around it. Check out main and side streets, just to get a feel of limits and signage for that area.QUOTE]

Great suggestions!!! I am gonna do this. At least I can make myself more comfortable with the route and speed limits. I chatted with my colleagues today - one of them told me her daughters friend was failed because she was below the speed limit of the ramp to merge with traffic (I didnt know they could fail you on that!). I am getting so many great suggestions... Thankyou all so much, youve given me tips on what to look out for and how to relax (which I will try to follow). Thank you all!
    Last edited by DiamondLil; Mon, May 7th, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Also sometimes you will fail no matter how good you are.. I have found they will often fail people for no apparent reason. I think they have a quota or something.

Just dont give up..
    Last edited by Snow Queen; Mon, May 7th, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
    AmberLab and DiamondLil like this.
    Everytime you like my post I give the dog in my display picture a big *KISS!*

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

One thing that is noted above that I forgot is about highway driving. My examiners advised me that they were well aware that highway traffic speeds are almost always above the limit. I was told "We can't tell you to speed, but we will deduct points if you obstruct traffic. Please act accordingly." In short, don't go overboard, but they do expect you to speed a bit on the 400-series highways!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Always drive in the right lane and not the middle lane or the left lane ..unless ofcourse you are asked to take a left turn soon in which case you have to move in the left lane.

Whenever you take a left turn and are in the left lane after taking the left turn ..try to move back into the right lane as soon as its safe to do so ..you will be surprised how many people just keep on driving in the left lane after the turn and are failed for it .

Also when you exit out of the highway ..don't slow down on the highway itself as you approach the exit ..gradually slow down in the deceleration lane and the exit ramp .

One of my friend had almost passed the test ..and he was coming off the highway ..ready to go back to the test centre and he slowed down on the highway itself when exiting instead of the deceleration lane and was failed for that.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

It's been so long since I got mine, so I can't offer any specific advice except to relax (I know that's hard) and TAKE YOUR TIME.
    Don't let the instructor rush you!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!
    DiamondLil likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Someone before stated to make chit-chat with the instructor but I am on the fence about that one. The first lady who was instructing me told me to keep focused on the road and not conversate. The second one though was chatting with me asking me if im in school or working, where I go to school, etc. I'd say the only chatting that you should do is be vocal about what you are doing. For example if she asks you to a parallel park, talk out loud what each step you are doing as you do it.
    Everytime you like my post I give the dog in my display picture a big *KISS!*

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Good luck...and I am sure you will pass no problem. Great advice from everyone posted. Will be waiting for your "I passed " post.
    Could have used all these great advice when I took mine during a major snowstorm. Only major bonus was that I didn't have to parallel park as the plows hadn't cleared the roads yet.
    DiamondLil likes this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

heh Snow.. im one of the ones who suggested idle chit chat.. but ONLY before.. like when the instructor gets in the car.. say its a beautiful day.. that type of deal.. when it comes to driving.. only the instructor talks unless he/she asks you a question.
    AmberLab and DiamondLil like this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

good luck just have faith in yourself....
    DiamondLil likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't have any advice. But I wanted to wish you Good Luck! You can do it!
    DiamondLil likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Good luck. It took me 5 tests to pass when I was in the UK.

Thankfully Qc decided i was safe to drive on the wrong side of the road without needing a test as i'm sure I would have failed the first time...

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information