I'm not happy. I wish I could type my true thoughts onto this NRA computer but decorum and professional conduct won't allow it.
You see, I love hunting. I work everyday to help the sport grow beyond its current beleaguered state so I can pass the joys of the outdoors on to my children. Lately, the news hasn't been in keeping with the holiday spirit.

We just heard about the New Hampshire Thompson/Center plant's closure and now comes more troubling news.

I just read this headline: ESPN.com to retire outdoor section. My little hunting heart sank immediately. It might sound dramatic but that's about the only way to describe it.
Here's the rest:
After a decade of serving up the latest sportsman news, features and photos, ESPN.com will retire the Outdoor section (ESPNOutdoors.com) as of January 1, 2011.
"It's been an honor to be a part of one of the most-read, most-visited outdoor websites in the country,'' said Steve Bowman, executive editor of ESPNOutdoors.com. "The work has been fun and the readers have not only been special but loyal. That always makes for a successful endeavor."
The decision was made in conjunction with the reduction of outdoor programming on ESPN's television networks as the company makes a move back toward more event-based programming.
Readers who come to the site after January 1st, will be re-directed to Bassmaster.com.
Those of you that have been reading this blog for a while will remember the announcement earlier this year that ESPN would be slicing off the dead weight of outdoor programming. You will also remember that I was none too happy.
Go to this page and tell ESPN what you think of their decision. I just commented. It wasn't a nice send off.