User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Police Officers and Indentifying themselves

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Since this is a large community with people everywhere in Canada I figured I would ask a few questions here in hopes of getting an answer.

1. In Canada are Police Officers required to wear a badge or name tag identifying themselves?
    2. If they are not wearing any identification and you ask for some, do they have to provide it by law?
    3. Is there any place online to reference the information?

I do know that Toronto police were looking to make ID on their officers mandatory following the G20 fiasco so I was wondering about other places in Canada.

Thanks guys!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by TaraF; Tue, May 8th, 2012 at 12:28 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

1. Yes a badge must be worn. Name tag depends on the Force (I believe most do). TPS has been wearing name tags for many years, even before the G20.
    2. Yes they must provide their name and badge number.
    3. You may have to check each Forces web site to get this information.

Is there a reason you are asking?
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Even if they're dressed plainclothes or going undercover, I do think that they have to tell you if they are police officers if they are on duty or may for any reason be acting as an enforcement agent. An example: one of the profs at my school studies sex work and said that the first thing most street-based sex workers ask johns is "are you a cop?" because the cops can't lie in response to the question, or it would be entrapment and would lead to the arrest/charges being thrown out. Thus, the sex workers generally ask that before negotiating a price or doing anything else.
    TaraF and FallenPixels like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by glowworm2k View Post
    Even if they're dressed plainclothes or going undercover, I do think that they have to tell you if they are police officers if they are on duty or may for any reason be acting as an enforcement agent. An example: one of the profs at my school studies sex work and said that the first thing most street-based sex workers ask johns is "are you a cop?" because the cops can't lie in response to the question, or it would be entrapment and would lead to the arrest/charges being thrown out. Thus, the sex workers generally ask that before negotiating a price or doing anything else.
    Myth.
    Undercover cops do not have to say they are cops if they are directly asked. If they did, then there would be no point of going undercover when people like drug dealers just have to ask if they are cops.
    Sally888, Insane and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Thank you Jadzia and Glowworm, I was thinking of contacting my local police in hopes of getting an answer from them because the Ottawa Police PD (where this took place) hung up on me when I called to ask if they had to identify themselves.

Long story short, I'm sure many here know that I was in Ottawa for a protest on Saturday. A very peaceful protest. When the police approached a friend of mine to arrest him for "inciting a riot". The cop was in his face, my friend was calm it was ALL CAUGHT ON CAMERA! My friend is calling him Sir, not resisting, nothing, the police themselves were trying to incite a riot, NOT the peaceful protesters. So they arrest him, at this point people are upset because they are arresting an innocent man. People were asking Police to identify themselves because they are not wearing name tags or badges and they all refuse, turn around and walk away. One officer says, "I'm not engaging in this" and walks away. And yes it was ALL caught on camera.

I didn't think they were allowed to do this? I thought they had to identify themselves? I've come up against threats recently due to the petition I'm sure many have read me talk about and if someone approaches me in a crowd of people with a gun holstered to their side, I want them to identify themselves. I don't care if they are wearing a nice bright yellow vest that says police because they can be purchased or stolen.

My buddy was held for 20 hours and released charged with the following counts: Breach of peace, Unlawful assembly, Mischief, Obstructing Police, Causing a Disturbance. It was shameful on the part of the PD who were obviously trying to rile up a peaceful group and as long as the Judge in Ottawa isn't being bought, the charges will be dropped because it's all caught on camera. Every last minute of it.

The reason I ask about them identifying themselves is because others there were saying they had to and were even telling the police they had to but of course it's nice to read it written somewhere to verify it ya know? If attending a peaceful protest is going to result in police either power tripping or trying to "prove a point" , I want to be aware of my rights as a citizen.
    Last edited by TaraF; Tue, May 8th, 2012 at 10:01 AM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I believe what the others said above is true regarding badges. What you are looking for is police uniform regulations of the police act of whichever jurisdiction this is regarding - which police force and province.

Since you are into protesting, there is often a 'protestors' guide' made by groups, with regulations and information for those involved. I know there was one out for the BC Olympics protestors, which is online.

For Toronto
    http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/whenstopped/
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Thank you for that info Natalka, I would assume it should translate across the board though right? I mean I would hope that someone being authorized to carry a gun should have to identify themselves to someone they are stopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Cops often go on a power trip.

More often than not they don't follow their own rules as they know they can't be touched.

Their union is too strong and the SIU is a joke , where the cops or ex cops invetigate their own.

The abuse of power during the G20 was evident. They had their name tags on but they delibrately covered them up , so that no one could see them.

Cops should go after the violent protesters and not the peaceful protesters , who have every right to peacefully protest.

If you think that we don't live in a police state , think again.
    TaraF and Patty Smyth like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Wed, Jan 21st, 2015 at 07:49 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Very interesting to read. I have no answers for you.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

tjthemanto it is obvious that we live in a police state when you are within a crowd of people and see what's happening around you. Now for those that go about their daily lives and don't have that interaction, it isn't as obvious.

lecale, that's interesting but no one that asked was given anything. They were asking for names, badge numbers or business cards as well and got nothing. So the crowd started chanting things like "where's your nametag" to try and bring awareness to passerbys that they indeed were not identifying themselves.

Now, some here don't agree with why we were protesting and I respect that, I'm going to put a video here that shows the end of the march before Derek is arrested, his subsequent arrest and than the outrage of people after. It also shows you how peaceful people were until he was arrested and also until the point where Police refused to ID themselves. All caught on tape.

For those interested in the ID part in which is why I created this thread, between 3:15 and 5:30 of this video you will see the Police being constantly asked for them to ID themselves and when they don't people get upset. And with right.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jul 20th, 2013 at 10:10 PM.
    strew, Natalka, nightlite and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I must respectively disagree on this lecale, only because I have the right to know the name of the person who claims to be police who want to cuff me and cart me off somewhere. I think that any officer in any situation should be willing to offer up their name and badge number to someone who asks, and if they won't, what are they afraid of or trying to hide? Other than that if for no other reason than to "calm" a situation at hand they should give requested information. Btw, anyone tries to cuff me and refuses to identify themselves will receive a nice hard kick to the crotch and I will deal with assault charges later.
    Last edited by TaraF; Tue, May 8th, 2012 at 01:03 PM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Well, that doesn't seem very 'peaceful' to begin with, so funny they keep yelling 'peaceful protest'...

Those officers being harangued showed SO much restraint when they are being yelled at over and over in their faces.

As for Soberal, well, that's a whole 'nuther story - he's tried before to get himself passed off as a victim of police 'brutality' (G20), baiting/taunting/provoking officers - just generally trying to discredit and demonize police.
    strew, FallenPixels and erin9mmm like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Natalka, thanks for weighing in but I didn't start this thread to discuss the protest itself but rather the rights that those on the streets have to get the identity of officers. I only posted the video to back up my claims that police were asked for ID and refused to give it repeatedly.

On a side note, I am proud to call Derek Soberal a friend.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information