User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Don't let the big house fool you.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I find it's less the houses, and more delusional people.

We saw some hilariously overpriced things when we went to a big community garage sale. People wanting $15 for tube tvs that were fairly old, $5 for a pair of not-very-fashionable shoes and $60 for a lululemon sweater. I just walk away.

There's a thrift store in my city that used to be great but has now gone down the crapper. They used to be very reasonably priced, at $5 for a bag of clothes. Now they're marking everything as 'special' so it doesn't go in the bag sale, and charging $12 for a cracked old leather jacket and $80 for a stained grad dress that is honestly ugly in the first place, which was priced at $20 before the management change. And 'vintage' (aka mostly old and faded and UGLY) clothing is now starting to get marked 'special' for no reason. They're getting greedy.

It's annoying. In either case you're selling USED items. I don't care if it's for charity, these are USED, and should be sold as such.
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    34 (100%)

I've noticed that over the years, thirft stores and just buying second-hand period, have become so popular and things are getting so over priced whether it's a garage sale or a store.

I suspect that reality tv shows like Storage Wars/Storage Hunters/Pawn Stars may have a bit to do with it. Just like Extreme couponing, everyone sees it, then wants the same thing or do the same thing. I was at a huge fleamarket yesterday and saw a Boyds Bear figurine for $72! WT? I've collected these bears since 1995 and know pretty much the prices..... I crinch when I see the Boyds at VV for $8 nevermind $72! I must say though, two years ago, at a garage sale, I added to my Halloween Boyds collection by paying $2 a piece!!! Was a great score!

Boils down to luck when going to garage sales.....the best IMO are out in the country or when the old lady is just selling everything to get rid of it and no longers wants all of her husband's "junk"!
    nightlite likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A pet peeve of mine is overpriced items on kijiji. I was looking for an iRobot and people were asking for $300 for one that was 2 years old. They retail for $350! Why on earth would I pay $300 for a two year old USED vacuum cleaner?!
    nightlite likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

LOL, it's so true. I live in a fairly big house but only because my MIL lives with us and owns half. We wouldn't of been able to afford the home we are in otherwise. It's a bit interesting being neighbours with people who make significantly more then you do (like double easily). They still have cash flow issues, debt, etc. I'd say fairly easily we are the most financially stable of the bunch.

There was a street garage sale last year and like 3 people came (the issue with living on a court). The neighbors across the road were selling VERY nice boys clothes for like $0.25/item -- all Gap, Tommy, etc. I was like whoa. It was a huge score for the few people that showed up.

Personally it isn't worth my time most of the time to try and resell stuff I've used. I work full time, trying to make myself available for Kijiji pickups is a PITA. I now load up my car and visit the salvation army drive through donation.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Dinobuzz

I've noticed that over the years, thirft stores and just buying second-hand period, have become so popular and things are getting so over priced whether it's a garage sale or a store.
    This is so true. I used to be able to get countless things at thrift stores like Value Village, Goodwill and Salvation Army for a fraction of what I'm paying there now. It's still cheaper for some items so I do get b/c I like the hunting part of it, but the pricing is immensely frustrating as it even varies from store to store and location to location.

Regarding garage sales ITA with the ridiculous pricing. It feels like you either go to one where they expect too much and then at others there's no traffic and they can't give away anything. Our neighbourhood has tons of sales each weekend and it boggles me mind at what's left behind b/c no one showed up (brand new baby items etc). We gave our neighbours tons of stuff and told them to sell them for a buck or give it away. No one took some of the stuff and it wasn't crap. I don't get it.

This whole sale thing is also applicable to Kijiji. I once tried to give away FREE items that I didn't need that were worth good money and had over 5 no shows. By the last one I was like forget this and donated it to charity. Sometimes you try and be nice and it doesn't work.
    Last edited by nightlite; Mon, May 14th, 2012 at 04:30 PM.

Trading Score
    35 (100%)

Actually I think it can work both ways.....I am dedicated to garage sales and even do town wide sales all summer.....many times I have gone to wealthy areas and the people are selling great name stuff for next to nothing just to get rid of it....and I have gone to lower end areas and they are asking crazy amounts for junk....lol....I think it depends of the person having the sale.....I live in a rural area and my area is considered a well desired spot with several new high priced homes and on many ocassions we have had neighbours have sales and they pratically give it away.....and quite often they even put signs out front with stuff and say free....so it really does boil down to the person selling the stuff and not whether they are rich or not...lol

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by abbasgirl View Post
    I think sometimes people who are wealthy are just unaware of how much things should cost.
    I went into a high-end store the other day and I couldn't believe how marked up the prices were for things that were pretty much the same quality as elsewhere. But if that's the lifestyle you are used to, you wouldn't know anything about reasonable prices.
    I agree. Some people just don't know.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

This is a super interesting thread.
    Sometimes people just want it gone, and they're mark it with very low prices.
    What bugs me is finding "george" label jeans at VV for 9.99, when you could get them new for 14.99. So not worth it.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information