User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Lessons from very rich people

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kanewtz View Post
    I think it is impossible to define rich. Rich in what? Love? Health? Assets?

I'd rather live modest with great healthy and a great family than be a millionaire where all I have is money and it controls my life.

It took me awhile to figure this out (actually it was my wife). During our dating years we hardly saw eachother as I was working all the time to advance my career.
    Even now...I work a lot of overtime because I need to...not want to. I have 67hours of OT in this month alone so far and potentially working this weekend GAH.

Once we have kids..it will stop. I don't want to be one of those work-aholic fathers. I want to do things with my kids!

The point is...everyone will define "rich" as something different!

Yeah, My husband works a lot as well. He had nearly 150 hours of overtime this past 2 weeks. But we make the most of his time when he is here.
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    http://www.momoftheyear.ca/mom/?mom_id=23512
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I find that money takes work to earn and spending it takes no time at all.
    Angela273, lekate, ssbean and 4 others like this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

There is an elderly gentleman in our town that regrets working the long hours to make those extra dollars when he was younger. He said he barely had time to play with this children. Now he is in a elderly care facility, with children who have followed in his footsteps - too busy to visit their father...sad...

I am thankful for a hubby that puts family first and always has time to spend with his family. Even though we live on an income which by government standards classifies us as on the poverty line, we have NEVER lacked anything because of frugal living. Family truly comes first for us.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    There is an elderly gentleman in our town that regrets working the long hours to make those extra dollars when he was younger. He said he barely had time to play with this children. Now he is in a elderly care facility, with children who have followed in his footsteps - too busy to visit their father...sad...

I am thankful for a hubby that puts family first and always has time to spend with his family. Even though we live on an income which by government standards classifies us as on the poverty line, we have NEVER lacked anything because of frugal living. Family truly comes first for us.
    I was once told a story about a successful businessman who retired and went on a trip to South America to fish. He noticed that the fishermen would fish during the morning, and pointed out that if they fished all day they could catch more and sell more in the market. One replied by saying that if he spent the whole day fishing he wouldn't have time to spend with his family while they're still here.

A similar story of a friend of mine; he worked so hard, worked so many hours a week, did EVERYTHING for his company, that he left his girlfriend behind. She ended up resenting him. She gave him the ultimatum to start spending more time with him, but he wouldn't. They broke up. I felt bad for the guy, but apparently she wasn't worth it.
    Valiant and tobiwobi like this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

When I was working the 90hr weeks and going to school, my husband actually paid me to not accept an extra 4 hr shift one day. He made his point loud and clear.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

bottomline is.................... Money is just a means to live better; its not everything in life,

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyFromTheRock View Post
    Yeah, My husband works a lot as well. He had nearly 150 hours of overtime this past 2 weeks. But we make the most of his time when he is here.
    at least your beloved gets OT..mine is too high in the company to recieve monetary recompensive for any time over hs 40 hr work week.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ashedfc View Post
    bottomline is.................... Money is just a means to live better; its not everything in life,
    money makes you more comfortable in your misery.
    aemi likes this.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    at least your beloved gets OT..mine is too high in the company to recieve monetary recompensive for any time over hs 40 hr work week.
    Yeah, well the way it works with my husband is he works up north for 30 days, then works home for 30 days. When he is away he gets paid 12 hours a day for just being there. Any hours he works is overtime. So regardless he gets paid 140 hours every 2 weeks.... thats basically compensation for being away from his family. Then what he works after that is over time, even though it technically isn't over time. He still only ends up working 10 - 12 hours a day up there, but gets paid for 24. When he is home get just gets paid for his normal work hours ( 10 - 12 hours a day ) he still usually brings home about $20,000 a month though, so as much as it sucks hes away, it makes for a cozy ( but sometimes lonely ) life.

It would such if he were salary though, he wouldnt make nearly that much.
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

They say the richest man is the one that doesn't receive a T4...I heard that the other day & have been thinking about it ever since. I've always wanted to have my own bakery/cupcake store...maybe if I think hard enough I'll find the incentive I need to relieve myself of working for my employer & going out on my own All I ever wanted was to be a stay at home mom but when I divorced that all went out the window. I now have to work to make the ends meet.

Also thought about rental housing....using "other" money to buy has been the consensus on that one ie.bank money....again a big leap! But I have heard over & over that if you don't take the leap, you'll never know....any home business owners out there to share how they got started??

Cheers all on this beautiful long weekend!
    Last edited by lucy16076; Fri, May 18th, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
    Click here under "about me" to view my wish list.
    Visit Swagbucks.com to earn freebies! Click my referral link to get started!

Tangerine bank GIVES YOU $25 cold hard cash for opening an account!
    Use my Orange Key 14220607S1 & it's $25 for me too! NO FEE BANKING!!

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lucy16076 View Post
    Thank you for posting. I think this is a great link to get across to people that people are "rich" because they SAVE, not because it's been handed to them....(most anyway). Spend less than you make...a wonderfully easy concept!!!
    I have learned to shop second hand stores since I was a child, eat out occasionally but nothing beats a home cooked meal, to travel at least once a year to rejuvenate myself, & to be kind to others & give where I can, even the small amounts of money & time create a difference.
    I know someone that works as a counselor at a homeless shelter (far from rich but does save his money for retirement and for trips,etc) A resident at the homeless shelter started to give him crap because he caught wind that he was about to take a trip to Hawaii. Here I sit in this crappy shelter and you're going to Hawaii, go f**k yourself,etc. The counselor was like well, I saved my money and what I do with my saved money is my business. If you actually paid attention and listened to my advice you would be out of this s**thole instead of bitc*ing about what others are doing with their hard earned money.

I love the people that never get anywhere in life and always blame others for their situation. Yup, what does the fact the counselor is going on a trip have to do with your lazy ass not moving and doing things to help yourself. I was in a homeless shelter when I first moved back to Vancouver but within 2 weeks of being back there I had a full time job at $15 an hour. While I probably wont ever be "rich" I don't begrudge the people that are rich. They usually have gotten off their asses and made things happen for themselves not blamed people that have money. Hey I don't have a job or a life because you have money. lol.
    Last edited by cabmonk; Sat, May 19th, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
    lekate, lucy16076, lealgen and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cabmonk View Post
    I know someone that works as a counselor at a homeless shelter (far from rich but does save his money for retirement and for trips,etc) A resident at the homeless shelter started to give him crap because he caught wind that he was about to take a trip to Hawaii. Here I sit in this crappy shelter and you're going to Hawaii, go f**k yourself,etc. The counselor was like well, I saved my money and what I do with my saved money is my business. If you actually paid attention and listened to my advice you would be out of this s**thole instead of bitc*ing about what others are doing with their hard earned money.

I love the people that never get anywhere in life and always blame others for their situation. Yup, what does the fact the counselor is going on a trip have to do with your lazy ass not moving and doing things to help yourself. I was in a homeless shelter when I first moved back to Vancouver but within 2 weeks of being back there I had a full time job at $15 an hour. While I probably wont ever be "rich" I don't begrudge the people that are rich. They usually have gotten off their asses and made things happen for themselves not blamed people that have money. Hey I don't have a job or a life because you have money. lol.
    I admin on another coupon page, and in xmas i posted xmas morning pics of my kids and was downright attacked with "how dare you spend so much on your kids for xmas when there are so many people with nothing" the losers even took it upon themselves to create a hate page dedicated to it!! lol!!
    cabmonk likes this.

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyFromTheRock View Post
    I admin on another coupon page, and in xmas i posted xmas morning pics of my kids and was downright attacked with "how dare you spend so much on your kids for xmas when there are so many people with nothing" the losers even took it upon themselves to create a hate page dedicated to it!! lol!!
    yeah, there was this guy at the homeless shelter happy he got a job and he could get out of the shelter. There was a guy that thought that was stupid and said nah I wouldn't work for less than $15 an hour, no of course not just sit in the shelter mooching off the system. These are probably some of the same kinds of people attacking you,lol. You could give 10 million$ to charity and people would still attack you, its human nature because most suck lol.

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

the power of postive thinking eludes some people....thankfully "most" people aren't like the ones you describe above. I have to believe that most people are working to better themselves, & those that aren't feel better about themselves & their situation when they attack others for doing so. That's sad................hopefully someone somewhere will make a difference in their lives so that their pessimism changes & they begin to see that they are the makers of their own destiny.

Any other tips for those of us out there looking to save where we can, earn compound interest & create more dollars from the ones we already have ??
    matrix82 likes this.
    Click here under "about me" to view my wish list.
    Visit Swagbucks.com to earn freebies! Click my referral link to get started!

Tangerine bank GIVES YOU $25 cold hard cash for opening an account!
    Use my Orange Key 14220607S1 & it's $25 for me too! NO FEE BANKING!!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cabmonk View Post
    You could give 10 million$ to charity and people would still attack you, its human nature because most suck lol.
    I cringe everytime some-one attacks Bill Gates over his charitable concerns. Many people complain because The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation doesn't support their agenda rather tahn support the good works the foundation does.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information