User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: The Federal Gov to allow dead animals outside of slaugterhouses to be consumed by YOU

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

No really they are! The Conservative Government wants to allow the carcasses of already dead animals to be processed in slaughterhouses for human consumption. WTF? If they are looking to hurt the food industry this is a GREAT way to do it because they'll turn a lot of people into vegetarians, myself included! There are regulations set in place for a reason and this is just disgusting.

Article here
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    No really they are! The Conservative Government wants to allow the carcasses of already dead animals to be processed in slaughterhouses for human consumption. WTF? If they are looking to hurt the food industry this is a GREAT way to do it because they'll turn a lot of people into vegetarians, myself included! There are regulations set in place for a reason and this is just disgusting.

Article here
    They aren't talking about diseased animals or those who died of natural causes. Rather those that are injured or agressive making transportation to the slaughter facilities dangerous. We're not talking road-kill here.

It is proposed to amend the (meat inspection regulations) to allow into registered establishments carcasses from food animals slaughtered elsewhere . . . following a detailed ante-mortem examination by a private veterinary practitioner,” the proposed rules state.

“Such an amendment would be extremely useful for industry in a number of situations, such as when injured animals cannot be transported alive for welfare reasons; or when animals are dangerous, aggressive or difficult to handle and cannot be transported.”

A vet would have to inspect an animal prior to slaughter to confirm it could not be safely transported, as well as determine if the animal is fit to serve as food. The vet will also certify the date of the slaughter and method.
    Last edited by DaveP; Mon, May 14th, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
    strew likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

First, I read the article and I understand what it says but thanks for pointing it out again The problem is as I stated, rules are here for a reason but we all know what the Harper Government thinks of rules to start with. Second, just because it's said those will be the only carcasses included, I don't buy it. As well, how many times are animals inspected and said to have died of one thing when they died of another? Back to the main point though, as Malcolm Allen raised in the article: It risks the food chain being contaminated by dead stock." also considering the Cons budget is loosening Inspection guidelines for food, I wouldn't buy another piece of meat if they allow this.

Might I add in registered slaughterhouses certain practices have to be followed and obviously we don't know if those are being followed by already dead carcasses coming in. There is this little thing called "humane killing" and how do we know that's taking place if it isn't being regulated? It's disgusting on many levels but not surprising.
    Last edited by TaraF; Mon, May 14th, 2012 at 09:00 PM.
    glowworm2k likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Might I add in registered slaughterhouses certain practices have to be followed and obviously we don't know if those are being followed by already dead carcasses coming in. There is this little thing called "humane killing" and how do we know that's taking place if it isn't being regulated? It's disgusting on many levels but not surprising.
    Is it humane to transport an injured and suffering animal, in pain (say a cow with a broken leg) to a slaughterhouse so it can be 'humanely' killed?

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Is it humane to transport an injured and suffering animal, in pain (say a cow with a broken leg) to a slaughterhouse so it can be 'humanely' killed?
    At least it is being killed in a regulated place that you know is a clean facility for it to be killed in. I'm sorry but I don't want someone killing a cow in a field and dragging it across the grass to pick anything up to be loaded into a truck. Again, regulations are in place for a reason.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

At least it is being killed in a regulated place that you know is a clean facility for it to be killed in. I'm sorry but I don't want someone killing a cow in a field and dragging it across the grass to pick anything up to be loaded into a truck. Again, regulations are in place for a reason.
    Not a big fan of caribou meat, I'm guessing.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

It's great that they want to allow the flexibility for smaller and medium-sized businesses - great for those entrepreneurs to grow their capacity and types of products.

Oh, and it might save Canadian taxpayers some money - while still keeping safety at the fore.

This has better explanations of what is intended, and why

http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2012/2.../reg1-eng.html

Mmm, now I'm going to go have me some deer sausage!
    DaveP, xox2010, glowworm2k and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Mmm, now I'm going to go have me some deer sausage!
    *drool*

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not a big fan of caribou meat, I'm guessing.
    Dave, you are such a nut! I almost spit my drink out when I read that! lol

I don't see why they can't use those animals for other purposes. . such as dog food. . or feeding murderers in prison . . .
    anisa, TaraF and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

*drool*
    We have a great local butcher who does game meat, so we do splurge once in a while!
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    We have a great local butcher who does game meat, so we do splurge once in a while!
    So lucky. About 10 years back when I lived in Northern Quebec, the butcher at my workplace did caribou sausages (mixed with pork, I think, because caribou is very lean). So delicious!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Glad we're becoming vegetarian lol

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

although not because I am against eating meat just for health reasons lol

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Today I heard an interview with a vet, explaining this on a more 'practical' level. Let's say a cow dies on a farm - a vet will inspect it there, go through its history (vaccinations, etc.) to make sure it's okay to enter the food system, it will be taken to the plant, where it will once again be inspected.
    Apparently there aren't that many, percentage-wise, federally approved facilities, there are also many more provincial ones, which follow the federal guidelines. Part of the amended legislation is to get the provincial and federal in synch which will, in fact, allow MORE animals to be inspected, now fewer.
    abbasgirl, strew and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I just don't regularly eat meat (with the exception of fish), so the changing regulations have little effect on me. My DH and I watched Food, Inc. a few months back. I was sad to see the conditions, but not too surprised; DH was outraged and disgusted by the conditions. After that he and I decided to try to only buy meat when we can afford to get it from local butchers that source the meat locally, so that it is only a special treat reserved for weekend BBQs or a special dinner. Otherwise, we will go without.

Lately though, we've been having some fabulous meals thanks to DH's dad: he gave us his share of venison from his hunting trip last fall (all frozen in little butcher-wrapped packets) as his wife won't "eat Bambi".... their loss!! We've had venison steaks, venison burgers, and are planning on doing a small venison roast in the upcoming weeks. I love game meat, and it tastes so much better when it lived wild (wild venison has a cedary flavour as opposed to the relative beef-ish taste of farmed deer) that frankly everything else is second-best to me!
    DaveP likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information