User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Chornobyl (Chernobyl)

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hollyquaiscer View Post
    I'm not sure why it is that governments from countries like USSR and Japan think nothing of doing cover-ups, putting the lives of people all over the world at danger. It seems to be more important to "Save Face" and play down the truth when these disasters happen.
    Japan is certainly not hiding anything. They have been open about everything that's happened at Fukushima, certainly the BBC has been allowed access to both the control centre and to talk to employees and management about what happened and what has going to happen with regard to that reactor.

As of May 5th 2012, Japan no longer has any operational nuclear power stations. All were switched off for maintainence and as of yet, none have been re-opened.
    DaveP likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    I remember our local paper writing up about host parents (im an hour from Kitchener)

Thats something I might do when my own children get older.
    I have friends in several parts of the UK who do this as well. They tell me it's a hard but worthwhile thing to do.
    lecale likes this.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 07:36 PM.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 08:15 PM.
    Darth Penguin likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Closer to home, but not nearly as bad as Chernobly, the Sydney Nova Scotia Tar Ponds. They do tours of them and have for the last few years. The tour guides as part of their employment have to go through regular blood tests for carcinogens, and other toxins.
    AmberLab likes this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    Closer to home, but not nearly as bad as Chernobly, the Sydney Nova Scotia Tar Ponds. They do tours of them and have for the last few years. The tour guides as part of their employment have to go through regular blood tests for carcinogens, and other toxins.
    Tar ponds are buried under concrete now, and they're building a park over top. They say it will be safe but I'm not sure I'd want a little one crawling around on that grass.
    Last edited by DaveP; Tue, May 15th, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
    AmberLab likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

And the horror movie of the tourists...Chernobyl Diaries

http://chernobyldiaries.warnerbros.com/index.html
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Wed, May 16th, 2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: added word

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    And the horror movie of the tourists...Chernobyl Diaries

http://chernobyldiaries.warnerbros.com/index.html
    Thats the movie I was referring to in my first post. Looks scary.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    What are you talking about according to the government there as safe as anywhere else in Canada. (Roll eyes) the denial makes me so angry.
    AmberLab likes this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Japan is certainly not hiding anything. They have been open about everything that's happened at Fukushima, certainly the BBC has been allowed access to both the control centre and to talk to employees and management about what happened and what has going to happen with regard to that reactor.

As of May 5th 2012, Japan no longer has any operational nuclear power stations. All were switched off for maintainence and as of yet, none have been re-opened.
    That is now, but when all this started, they told the world that things were much better than they actually were. It was not until they had no choice, that they became forthcoming with the information needed to evacuate the area. It seems that in these countries, nobody wants to admit that there is a MAJOR CATASTROPHE and they need help. Human lives are at risk.

I find it very sad that a life isn't worth much. Governments coverup so much information these days, it's really sad.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hollyquaiscer View Post
    That is now, but when all this started, they told the world that things were much better than they actually were. It was not until they had no choice, that they became forthcoming with the information needed to evacuate the area. It seems that in these countries, nobody wants to admit that there is a MAJOR CATASTROPHE and they need help. Human lives are at risk.

I find it very sad that a life isn't worth much. Governments coverup so much information these days, it's really sad.
    I really don't think that's true of Japan. They may not have known the seriousness of the nuclear emergnency right off, because they were dealing with thousands of people dead from the quake and tsunami. Utter devastation. and a desperate search for survivors. Japan is a first world democracy, not some tinpot dictatorship like North Korea. They did everything they could for their people - the workers who went into the reactors to shut them down knew they were likely sacrificing their lives. Heroes. Japan has nothing to be ashamed of, IMHO, they dealt with this horror as well as any nation could. And they have decommissioned all their reactors now. To make sure this can never happen again. I have nothing but respect for Japan.
    Last edited by DaveP; Tue, May 22nd, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
    lecale likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information