User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: At what age did you buy your first house

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I was 26, DH was 28. Eight years ago. A 2-bedroom 1053 square foot bungalow on a corner lot. Cost: $152,500, which we thought was a lot at the time!
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

I was 23, a condo downtown Calgary. I bought it for $120,000 and sold it 4 years later for $218,000 so it was a great investment
    matrix82, Horndogg, budge and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I was 26, Wife was 24. 2450sqft 2 storey home in a new subdivison (home was 3 years old).

Been paying it off agressively. Thinking of upgrading/building our own. There are a lot of features I want that are not in my current house. Depends on the market/life at the time.
    Matt

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

We live in the country (I love it, I would never live in the city if i could help it)- my husband bought a trailer for the acreage 7 years before we were married and we lived in it for another 5. Then we built 5 years ago (right before the market went nuts). We paid $300,000 to build and a neighbour sold theres with less acers and less view for over $7500,00 (that is just crazy I don't think my house is worth that much but it all depends what people are willing to pay I guess). So I was 29 when i signed my life away.
    Last edited by carebearhamm; Wed, May 16th, 2012 at 11:18 AM.
    Tresmom likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

23 - got in just before the boom. bought it around 264,000, sold it for 418,000 in 2010 and bought a bigger house.
    Horndogg likes this.
    Alberta Auto, Home, Business and Travel Insurance Broker
    http://www.1upinsurance.com/

putting the kettle on.. sweetproserpina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Great thread!

We still rent (I'm 29), so reading all these posts do make me feel a bit behind! However, we rent my grandfather's old house on a stunning country property surrounded by orchard and vineyard.. it would be a huge downgrade for us to have to move into a 'starter home' somewhere in the burbs/city. We're saving up over the next 5 years and going to build our own strawbale! country house and then stay put.

I moved 17 times growing up and decided that once I buy/build my house that's it. No more moves!!
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.
    RLF: Goldfish!!, Butter, Astro Yogurt, Triscuit Thincrisps...

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetproserpina View Post
    Great thread!

We still rent (I'm 29), so reading all these posts do make me feel a bit behind! However, we rent my grandfather's old house on a stunning country property surrounded by orchard and vineyard.. it would be a huge downgrade for us to have to move into a 'starter home' somewhere in the burbs/city.
    Don't feel behind! I'm sure if you saw some of the starter homes, rentals, etc., that it took to get the home earlier, you'd think your "stunning country property" looks a whole lot more stunning!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was 26 and purchased a dilapidated 3 bedroom condo with my Dad. We put down 30 grand in total for the down payment and we used about 10 grand in renovation costs. I purchased the condo all by myself, no real estate agent involved and got it for 115,000 at the location of Don Mills and Laird Dr. (near the science centre).

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

DH & I were both 28. We moved in just before his b-day and we will pay it off this year just before he turns 45. It was to be our starter home a 3 bedroom bungalow, but then we had our sons and it became our family home. We looked several times at other houses but could never justify the bigger mortagage. So we have been renovating this one to suit us. Next reno new kitchen woohoo.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Am 25 and still haven't working towards saving up a down payment, and getting the income/savings under control first Hopefully by the time I'm 28 I will have my first mortgage
    ~*~I take proofreading, writing, and lettering commissions~*~
    ~*~Send me a private message for details!~*~

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

I was 26 and hubby early 30s.....no mortgage after 10 years! Renovated our home - especially kitchen and lived here 20 years and counting....but this farm girl at heart would love to live in the country!!
    coupon girl and Travelnut like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

22 and he was 27. We're 2yrs3months in right now...and there is no end in sight! I love that some of you got rid of your mortgages so quickly. Not likely with us. BUT, we did buy a house that could be our "forever home". It has 4 bedrooms, 3.5 bath, and plenty of room. Just the 2 of us and 2 dogs now, but we wanted something we could grow in to. Don't want to move for a very long time!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I was 25, less than 1000 square feet, cutie little bi-level built in the late 70's, it was a perfect set up for us, I was even able to move my business home and work out of my basement, we would still be there if we hadn't moved for the hubbies job. It was a total dive when we bought it, but it is amazing what 3 years and a motivated husband can do to a property, when we had to move we sold it for over double what we had paid for it.
    www.facebook.com/perduemassageclinic good things come to those who like my page

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

hmm 42 and still renting.. maybe someday.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

We were 39 (Dh is 3 months older). We were married for 2 yrs and debt free, (my education completely paid off- a Master's degree) and a four month old boy in tow. We didn't just buy one home but bought two: one for DH's parents, and one for us. We were blessed to be in a place that we could. But it took time and patience in waiting.

The funny thing was that I was going to buy a condo when I was 32 but didn't because I had just begun to date my to be DH. I had a Divine hunch that I needed to wait to see where it was going... Let's just say that in my case, waiting proved to be a wiser choice.
    Last edited by matty's mom; Fri, May 18th, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
    Horndogg likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information