User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: second hand store pricing

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    240 (100%)

My first shop at a VV when they had 50% off day a few weeks ago and got 3 items. I would say most of the items there are way overpriced and you really really have to go through a lot to find anything that may be good or of a brand name of some sort.
    So I got the following:
    Ralph Lauren Sport Nylon and lined Navy Blue Bomber jacket (appears new)=9.99/5.00
    Prada Black Shirt with lining and secret pockets inside(authentic as far as I can see...washed it and it's like brand new)=6.99/3.50
    Juicy Couture long sleeved camo-green t-shirt (front has the words "JUST JUICY" stamped in sparkly mauve/pink (appears new)=8.99/4.50

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I agree, VV is definitely overpriced! I only shop there now when they have their 50% off sales.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

This is prime reason why I love shopping at Winners. They have all brand names there for at least 50% off or more and its brand new. I have also noticed in some malls that Tommy Hilfiger has crazy sales. Just last week I went there and there was a rack for clothes at 60% off last marked price. I got a blazer for myself for $30 regular price over $100... plus I receive their coupon books weekly and with that you can take a chunk off as well. For kids, I love going to Tommy, they have kids clothes for $5 to $20 and $20 being winter jackets on sale. Amazing deals. Same with Abercrombie and Fitch. You'd think heck that store has nothing below $50... wrong... I bought my girls 2 outfits each in there (shirts, skirts and sweater) for $100 all. You truly can find great deals on brand new clothes that is a brand name. I noticed also in wal mart recently their prices for none brand names crazy high. I can buy Guess dress in winner for girls for $15 where in Wal Mart nowdays dresses are $25+ its crazy.

Follow my Beauty Blog on instagram @officialbestofglam
    or on facebook @bestofglam

I write reviews on all new and upcoming beauty products
    Sephora is my grand love

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I will only shop at VV on 50% off days, and even then I am choosy. I have noticed a huge price increase too. I saw a Suzy Shier top I liked there for $9.99, but I will not pay that for a used top, especially when I know I can easily get a top at SS for $10 that is brand new. That was my first time being there in a while. I was really surprised by the prices. I would much rather shop at Goodwill or SA.
    Couponing Since 2011

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Thats a great find. But yes, Id be vary of authenticity of those prada and juicy couture stuff. I have fake stuff at home and no one can tell the difference between real and fake. I am told daily what a great bag I have and they are all handmade and have "Made in Paris" stamps inside... and really I am told I am lying that they are fake when I tell people they are fake. There is absolutely no difference between real and fake anymore. Same logos, same looks, same stiching, same stamps inside. But for $3.50 who cares if its real or not great finds

Follow my Beauty Blog on instagram @officialbestofglam
    or on facebook @bestofglam

I write reviews on all new and upcoming beauty products
    Sephora is my grand love

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by greencanuck View Post
    Value Village is a for-profit business
    I was so shocked when I learned this! I really wanted to stop shopping at VV, but I find they often have the best selection because their stores are huge and have good parking (so it's easy to donate).

Still, I'd rather buy secondhand, so that I save money and save something from landfill.
    matrix82 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

I used to shop there at times but I have been in there in the last yr and I could not find much that was worth it. I have found things new for cheaper on sale end of season or clearance.

I also make an effort to donate my items to either SA or Bibles for missions because I know that most of he money (if not all of it) goes towards charity not profit and lining someone's pocket.
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Trading Score
    38 (100%)

I agree, VV is overpriced for "used" merchandise...especially if you know how to shop (like MostarkaGirl says--Winners etc) you can often find brand new for the same price or LESS than VV!

I used to shop at VV a lot, but for the past year or so I have only shopped at VV on 50% off sale days--mainly due to their price increases--and it bothers me that they exclude the housewares and/or books from their sales. I understand they are for profit, but they are still selling used merchandise, and the prices should reflect that fact, imho.

I too often find better deals at the outlets (Gap, Children's Place, etc) and Winners without sacrificing quality and brand. I mean why bother searching through isles and isles of used stuff to find a few 'treasures' so that I can take it home and discover a stain I missed and then wash it to get rid of that awful thrift store smell--only to realize I didn't save very much $$ after all? It just doesn't make sense.

EASY PAYPAL $$ - GetCashForSurveys - receive $50 free when you take your first paid survey! Brand new site--now open to Canadian residents, reserve your spot before it's full--get paid for your opinion!

My Wish List in under 'About Me' on my profile page

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

value village prices have become RIDICULOUS in the past years! when i go i wanna get discount clothing for my daughter since she grows so quick! for a pair of shorts its 4$ for that price it should be a outfit. Ive started sticking to goodwills, my neighbors closet, and other such second hand stores where the prices are actually affordable.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I completely agree.... I, too, find Value Village is overpriced. I find some things at Goodwill overpriced too but during their 50% off days, like today, then the prices are good. The SA prices near me are usually okay although I've sometimes picked up an item thinking it would be cheaper and was surprised by the price. But normally the prices are decent. I've only started thrift shopping recently but so far love Goodwill and SA.... I also got some great deals through garage sales!
    - Couponing since May 27, 2011 -
    I earned enough swagbucks to redeem for a $5 Amazon e-gift card in my first week of joining
    ! JOIN SWAGBUCKS

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by krempy View Post
    and it bothers me that they exclude the housewares and/or books from their sales. I understand they are for profit, but they are still selling used merchandise, and the prices should reflect that fact, imho.
    OMG don't even get me started on that. I dropped in today as I was next door at Dollarama and I left just so PO'ed at the pricing of some stuff in there. Certain pieces of art. A used soap dispenser. Wooden crafts and shelving for way more than they should be. The best is when you find an item from Dollarama at VV and it costs more. I'm like honestly people.

Today again it was yet another pair of shorts (I don't know why it's me and the shorts) and they were $5.99, visible worn and used and from The Children's Place and I was like I can buy these new for less. I honestly felt like taking a picture and writing a formal email complaint to them. It's really getting absurd and it's really turning me off of going.

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

I walked into VV the other day and laughed my head off at the prices. I think I lasted maybe only 3 minutes in that store! Never again!
    Shop online often? Join ebates.ca to get cashback on your purchases! I have earned over $230 to date.

Always looking for Pampers Gift To Grow codes! If you don't use them, please RAOK them to me.

Trading Score
    16 (94%)

I have always called Value Villiage, Rape & Pillage. They are gangsters!

I will only give my hard earned dollars to St. Vincent D'Paul, Salvation Army or Goodwill.
    if at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information