User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: second hand store pricing

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This is a bit of a spin off vent about the Value Village retailer reviews thread. I am a huge thrift store shopper. I love finding interesting vintage finds, re-doing furniture and projects and getting kids clothing for way less. I am fairly impartial on where I go, i.e. Salvation Army, Goodwill, Value Village, garage sales and indie thrift stores in towns.

But recently the pricing at these stores has changed.

Case in point, today at VV, I pick up a pair of Old Navy shorts for kids. Asking price (used) $4.99.
    You can currently get them on sale at Old Navy for $5 + use a discount coupon and get them brand new cheaper.
    I stood there actually wondering what store I was in.

Isn't the point of thrift stores to be thrifty? Like when you donate to Goodwill they use the money to benefit people that need it. As does SA. But even depending on their location their prices haven't been too kind. There's two different Salvation Army locations that I visit and both have such drastically different pricing it's insane. One you can get 3 pieces of kids clothes for $2. In another, not a chance...

I have been shopping at VV since I was a teen and I remember being able to get kids t-shirts for .99
    Now I know inflation and costs go up, but I feel like overall margin has creeped up to uncomfortable levels. I know this has often been discussed in terms of VV doing it, but when it's starting with other stores, I feel like this really defeats the purpose of buying second hand.

I'm wondering 'who' decides on pricing for items because everything has gone up and God forbid the people that actually need to shop at second hand shops are being ripped off. I think that's what pisses me off the most. I thrift b/c I can save money on kids clothing and housewares, but I am fortunate that I pay normal price for these items. I am naturally a saver so I try to save where I can.

But if I had to shop there...this is what gets under my skin. It's like they lost their way.
    This thread is currently associated with: Garage, Old Navy, Value Village
    Last edited by nightlite; Sat, May 19th, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
    krysta lynne and krempy like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

i hear you-i saw a pair of shoes at value village 19.99=i thought forget it -i got a pair of expensive shoes on kijij for 5.00-excellent deal

Trading Score
    90 (100%)

Last week I went to VV for a pair of jeans, I came across a great pair in my size look at the tag 49.99!! Im not kidding! 50 dollars for used jeans, I know my brads and they were only silver. sure they're 100 brand new but come on 50 dollars.
    katysmuma likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tmlskk01 View Post
    Last week I went to VV for a pair of jeans, I came across a great pair in my size look at the tag 49.99!! Im not kidding! 50 dollars for used jeans, I know my brads and they were only silver. sure they're 100 brand new but come on 50 dollars.
    Holy Cow!! That's ridiculous!!

I just started shopping at VV a few years ago and thankfully haven't come across anything ridiculously priced....yet (at least in my opinion). I think the most I've spent on jeans there was $14.99.....for a brand new, tags still intact pair....which would have retailed around $100......so I didn't mind paying the $15 for them. I think that's the most expensive pair I've ever seen too......usually they're all around $9.99......which I think is pretty decent. I can't buy jeans in a store for that much.....and not with a 34+ inch inseam.

Trading Score
    30 (97%)

I went to VV about 3 weeks ago and they had a storage tub there and since we are moving checked out the price $12.99 WOW, we just bought the exact same tub same colour size everything brand new for $7.49 at CT, I wrote them a complaint because there was other things I saw like a broken clown priced at $6.99, And there response was all their money goes to proceeds blah blah blah, Well if you lowered the prices more people would buy there and also buy more so it is beneficial to lower the prices

Smart Canuck...Oh Yeah!!! Koolaid's Avatar
    Trading Score
    145 (100%)

OUch!!! This is why I shop GT clearance racks...always cheap and never know what your going to find.

You all would have loved my charity garage sale....all clothes were 25c each or 5 for a $1!
    Join Swagbucks and save up for Christmas!!! Message me for help! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Koolaid1977

Please help us raise lots of much needed Autism research funds...donate to my son's walk today here:
    http://asca.convio.net/goto/tyler2016

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I find Value Village extremely expensive for used stuff especially when they get the stuff for free. The VV closest to me always has a line up for donations every weekend and it's still overpriced. I just don't get it.
    katysmuma likes this.
    Start earning extra money from home with Swagbucks and Superpoints. Just for searching the web and liking pages on Facebook.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/manders3

25 POINT BONUS LINK FOR SUPERPOINTS http://superpoints.com/refer/amandarickey

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ami1984 View Post
    I went to VV about 3 weeks ago and they had a storage tub there and since we are moving checked out the price $12.99 WOW, we just bought the exact same tub same colour size everything brand new for $7.49 at CT, I wrote them a complaint because there was other things I saw like a broken clown priced at $6.99, And there response was all their money goes to proceeds blah blah blah, Well if you lowered the prices more people would buy there and also buy more so it is beneficial to lower the prices
    I think they were feeding you a line...as far as I know, Value Village is privatedly owned. What they do is buy donated items from local charities at a bulk price (probably by weight). They then price it to what they think they can get for it. They like to emphasize that they help local charities, but they are really only in it for the profit.

Years ago, you could find some great deals....there were brand names that were high end that the sorters wouldn't know about, but I think they now have a list of "good" brands and tag those with high price tags. Anyone ever see lululemon merchandise at VV? It's almost 75% of new...delusional, as far as I'm concerned. I think the Salvation Army thrift store is a much better place to shop if you are looking to helping a charity.
    Insane likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Value Village is a for-profit business that has arrangements with the several charities, including the Canadian Diabetes Association.
    All donations are weighed in bulk and the charity gets 10% of that value.
    Everything else is profit for the store.

http://www.valuevillage.com/download...ePressKits.pdf
    Insane likes this.
    TRADING COUPONS: FOOD, DENTAL, SOAP / BODY WASH/DEODORANT, SPECIAL CREAMS, MAKEUP, HEALTH, AIR FRESHNERS, HAIRCOLOUR, CLEANING, HAIRCARE/ SHAMPOO, DIAPERS, SHAVING, PET, MEDICINE,LAUNDRY, STORES, LONDON BUSINESSES, FAST FOOD, BATTERYPRODUCTS, CHILDREN FOOD and TOY, SMOKING CESSATION and lots more ​!!

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

In our area we have Bibles for Missions and Christian Benefit Shops, both these stores have really low prices.
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I used to frequent VV at least once a week until this past fall. I'd been cleaning out the basement and closets in the house and decided to put the freeze on going there for a while (we had A LOT of stuff ) I could not believe what a change in the prices there was last month when I ventured back there in search of summer things. Outrageous. I don't have anything else like it on this side of the city, so when I need something it is still the first place I look. When we lived in the maritimes there was Frenchy's. Ahh, how I do miss that place

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

My hubby's sisters & mom shop alot at Frenchy's, they get amazing deals, they are in Nova Scotia..

Quote Originally Posted by MamaF View Post
    I used to frequent VV at least once a week until this past fall. I'd been cleaning out the basement and closets in the house and decided to put the freeze on going there for a while (we had A LOT of stuff ) I could not believe what a change in the prices there was last month when I ventured back there in search of summer things. Outrageous. I don't have anything else like it on this side of the city, so when I need something it is still the first place I look. When we lived in the maritimes there was Frenchy's. Ahh, how I do miss that place
    MamaF likes this.
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I know, MillieH, I had 3 nice ones in Halifax I used to frequent (one had the best shoes, one had the best kid's clothes and one had the best adult ones) and a couple of times I got to make a "Frenchy's Run" to the valley.........every tiny town there seemed to have one. There were even maps with their locations on them. Sigh. Value Village can't top Frenchy's!

coupon freak
    Trading Score
    66 (100%)

The pricing structure comes from corporate and people are in such a hurry most stuff is priced by brand name
    Last edited by couponfreak; Sun, May 20th, 2012 at 12:59 PM.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I used to shop at VV when we lived in Ottawa. I preferred it over the local SA because it was better organized...easier to find what I was looking for. But I always found their prices high. Where we live now there is a wonderful little SA. It is well organized and super cheap. Can always find great deals there...like unopened vacuum bags for $1 a box!
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information